The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The agonizing debate within Dem circles - should Biden run or should he say he's not running after the congressional elections.  For now, Biden and his team say he is all in for 2024.  Not sure we want a guy elected at age 82 and serving until age 86.  Ok correction:  I know I don't want a guy that old in the WH - Esp someone who is as gaffe prone as Biden.   I just hope he makes it to the end of his current term.   

Harris is a non-starter with many voters including a growing number of Dems. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/05/biden-2024-democrats-search-for-alternative.html

There Has to Be a Backup Plan. There’s a Backup Plan, Right?

Inside the 2024 soul-searching that’s happening in every corner of the Democratic Party.

On a Tuesday evening in April, nearly half a century after Joe Biden first publicly mused about running for president, an unsettled cross section of the Democratic Establishment assembled at Pinehurst, a golf resort in North Carolina. Inflation was at a 40-year high, Biden’s disapproval rating sat at 56 percent, and editors at the New York Times were readying a front-page report about how his signature achievement — $1.9 trillion in coronavirus-relief spending — has “barely registered with voters.” The lobbyists, donors, staffers, and elected officials were gathering for the spring policy meeting of the Democratic Governors Association, and the scheduled sessions concerned such topics as health care and diversity in governance. But between panel discussions, in the hallways and at the cocktail reception on the lawn, conversation shifted from grim — the midterms — to grimmer: the state of the party’s planning for 2024, when Biden will stand for reelection on the eve of his 82nd birthday.

Biden hasn’t formally announced his campaign for a second term, but in his mind there’s no question he’s running. “That’s my expectation,” he said early in his tenure. “Yes!” he told an interviewer nine months later, sighing a little performatively at having to keep repeating it. “It’s been his life,” says one of his longtime advisers. “It’s like a shark that keeps swimming. It’s how he stays alive.” Or as another top Democrat puts it, “He was told in ’16 he couldn’t cut it. He runs in ’20 and everybody rolls their eyes, and he still wins. So why in the world now would he be like, ‘You guys are right. I am old’?” And yet many of the plugged-in Democrats wandered Pinehurst not entirely persuaded, calculating contingencies: If Biden’s health turned, or if his polling truly collapsed, which of the party’s governors might step up and save them from electoral ruin — and the nightmare of a Trump comeback?

• Plus1 1
On 5/24/2022 at 4:47 PM, TGHusker said:

The agonizing debate within Dem circles - should Biden run or should he say he's not running after the congressional elections.  For now, Biden and his team say he is all in for 2024.  Not sure we want a guy elected at age 82 and serving until age 86.  Ok correction:  I know I don't want a guy that old in the WH - Esp someone who is as gaffe prone as Biden.   I just hope he makes it to the end of his current term.   

Harris is a non-starter with many voters including a growing number of Dems. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/05/biden-2024-democrats-search-for-alternative.html

The inability of the Democrats to position someone, anyone, to be a qualified and attractive candidate to stem off the GOP cult has been absolutely negligent and will be devastating to this country. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think it's fairly meaningless at this point since none have even announced their intention to run yet. Here's one where Sanders is second to Biden:

And they wonder why people aren't overly excited.

Elizabeth, Pete and Alexandria would promote waaay more involvement.

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Remains to be seen. Sanders will generate more involvement than Warren IMO based on the last 2 primaries, but I think they've both already had their chance and aren't likely to do well. Pete is uninspiring for me at least. AOC would be a really interesting candidate, but probably will run into the same problems as Sanders with the establishment and corporate Dems uniting against her. We'll most likely get another empty suit like Pete as the Dem candidate, who I wouldn't vote for except that the GOP is so insane I feel forced to vote against them.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I have a tough time believing that Warren wouldn't be a great President. She's reasonable, engaged, enthusiastic, and knows the art of compromise and being pragmatic while still standing her ground.

She might be, but she hasn't even really been close to winning the Dem primary. If we're going with an old candidate that has already run, then IMO Bernie is the much better choice as he's already outperformed Warren in the primary.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I think it's fairly meaningless at this point since none have even announced their intention to run yet. Here's one where Sanders is second to Biden:

Sigh...this list. I mean, they are all better than any of the Trumpists by a wide mile, but come on, Dems. 

Clinton and AOC are not serious candidates. Clinton's time is over and she needs to go away. I personally really like AOC, but she is polarizing and not ready. I like Pete too, but again not quite ready. Sanders is older than Biden, and Warren is good but also old, and has never been able to poll above Biden or Sanders. Harris was in the best position to be groomed for the big job but she has been a nobody since becoming VP and the bloom is off the rose. 

The Dems have had years to create stars, but they have nobody. Yet, there dozens of crackpot Repubs who are barely literate and mentally deranged but have become political rock stars. What the f*&k? 

• Plus1 4

32 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Sigh...this list. I mean, they are all better than any of the Trumpists by a wide mile, but come on, Dems. 

Clinton and AOC are not serious candidates. Clinton's time is over and she needs to go away. I personally really like AOC, but she is polarizing and not ready. I like Pete too, but again not quite ready. Sanders is older than Biden, and Warren is good but also old, and has never been able to poll above Biden or Sanders. Harris was in the best position to be groomed for the big job but she has been a nobody since becoming VP and the bloom is off the rose. 

The Dems have had years to create stars, but they have nobody. Yet, there dozens of crackpot Repubs who are barely literate and mentally deranged but have become political rock stars. What the f*&k? 

Per the press release of the poll, the question offered these seven names, and an "other" option.

I'm curious why they chose those names. They didn't explain that choice.

Apparently ten percent of those polled chose "Other," more than Warren,  Buttigieg, Ocasio-Cortez and/or Clinton, and just two percent behind Harris.

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Is she old enough to run?

Pete couldn't gain much traction when he ran, not sure if he's improved his stock enough to be a strong candidate.   Elizabeth, much like Bernie, is just too old for my liking to be President.   I don't think Biden should seek re-election, but I don't want Kamala, and I'm not sure who, in the Dem Party, has enough sway to be a front runner.   And I'm really scared of who will win the nomination of the GOP considering who is seemingly leading that party.   It is looking more and more like it'll  be voting for the lesser of two evils election again instead of the best candidate.

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election