The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder if the Democrats would try the "promote crazy candidates" strategy if Orange Man Bad runs again? Spend money boosting him during the primaries, only to have him epically fail again during the general election. 

It worked during the mid-terms. And OMB is as likely to run as any other mainstream GOP candidate. 

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wonder if the Democrats would try the "promote crazy candidates" strategy if Orange Man Bad runs again? Spend money boosting him during the primaries, only to have him epically fail again during the general election. 

It worked during the mid-terms. And OMB is as likely to run as any other mainstream GOP candidate. 

Please no.  If it doesn't work, it would be disastrous.  We need an election where both sides have decent candidates to choose from.

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- Pre-Primaries Season

MIDTERMS ARE OVER.  TIME TO ENTER INTO THE PRE-PRIMARY SEASON.  THUS, THE NAME CHANGE.  

Trump will be the first to throw his name in the ring.  We'll see how fast others follow.

I expect Desantis, Pense, Sens Tim Scott and Cruz, Nikki Haley, Gov Hogan, Gov Youngkin and Pompeo to get in.  

Watching from the sideline will be Kristi Noem who I think is aiming for the VP slot with anybody.  Liz Cheeney: If Hogan can't get any traction,

then maybe she jumps in.  If Hogan does make traction, then perhaps a possible Hogan/Cheeney ticket:dunno

If Biden decides to NOT run, then Katie bar the door - 10 - 15 candidates led by Gov Newsom. 

If Biden does run, I think Newsom still runs - with the goal of replacing Harris as VP.  I don't think many would expect Biden to finish a 2nd term

if re-elected.  Good chance the VP becomes president in that case.  I sure don't want light weight; giggle laughing Harris to be president. 

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- Pre-Primary Season

Harris was a mistake and would have cost Biden the election if not for the uprising against Orange Man Bad. He can't count on that protest vote again, especially if OMB doesn't run (because he's in jail, like he should be). 

If Biden runs he's going to have to name his Veep when he announces. If that's going to be Newsome, Newsome can't run. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Harris was a mistake and would have cost Biden the election if not for the uprising against Orange Man Bad. He can't count on that protest vote again, especially if OMB doesn't run (because he's in jail, like he should be). 

If Biden runs he's going to have to name his Veep when he announces. If that's going to be Newsome, Newsome can't run. 

Biden could run the primaries without an announced VP, and then add Newsome or someone else during or after the primaries.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I didn't think of that angle.  If that were to occur, I wonder if he forces Harris to resign at that point and then announces Newsom as her immediate replacement?   But, then Newsom would have to be confirmed by both the House and the Senate per the 25th amendment.   It could be crazy if the Senate remains 50/50. Without a siting VP in that case (assumption Harris has resigned) who would be the tie breaker?   If the GOP takes the House in the final vote tally, it would be all the trickier. 

The other senario would be pretty uncomfortable:  Biden names Newsom as his VP running mate while keeping Harris as VP until Jan 20, 2025.  

According to the 25th amendment:

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I didn't think of that angle.  If that were to occur, I wonder if he forces Harris to resign at that point and then announces Newsom as her immediate replacement?   But, then Newsom would have to be confirmed by both the House and the Senate per the 25th amendment.   It could be crazy if the Senate remains 50/50. Without a siting VP in that case (assumption Harris has resigned) who would be the tie breaker?   If the GOP takes the House in the final vote tally, it would be all the trickier. 

The other senario would be pretty uncomfortable:  Biden names Newsom as his VP running mate while keeping Harris as VP until Jan 20, 2025.  

According to the 25th amendment:

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

You really think that's possible if Republicans win the House?  Even though it's going to be a very slight majority.

Harris would announce that she's stepping down as VP, but will remain in office through her first term. They'd make it appear amicable. 

I know FDR had more than one VP. I'm not sure how those changes came about, but I know that Wallace was replaced by Truman. Had FDR not replaced Wallace, America would be a very different place today. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You really think that's possible if Republicans win the House?  Even though it's going to be a very slight majority.

No if the GOP takes the House, they won't let anything Biden wants to do to be accomplished - including confirming a new VP.   We will have 2 years of obstruction crap and impeachment hearings.  They will probably even try to remove the trump impeachments from the record (one of the Okla reps tried to present legislature to do just that - now he is the newly elected US Senator replacing Jim Inhofe) 

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Harris would announce that she's stepping down as VP, but will remain in office through her first term. They'd make it appear amicable. 

I know FDR had more than one VP. I'm not sure how those changes came about, but I know that Wallace was replaced by Truman. Had FDR not replaced Wallace, America would be a very different place today. 

Yes, the Truman nomination occurred at the convention itself.    I think back in those days, the party had more weight in deciding who the VP would be - more so than the desire of the Presidential nominee.  Which made for some awkward 'teams'.  

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/politics/camp/440722convention-dem-ra.html

Senator Harry S. Truman of Missouri was nominated tonight as the Democratic candidate for Vice President in the fifth and final session of the twenty-eighth national convention of the party.

He appeared immediately before the cheering delegates massed in the arena of the great hall to accept his "responsibility" as a running mate in President Roosevelt's bid for a fourth term in the White House.

Directly following the nomination, support of the ticket was pledged by Vice President Henry A. Wallace, James A. Farley, former National Chairman, and Sidney Hillman, head of the CIO Political Action Committee, which had supported Mr. Wallace.

Mr. Truman's victory, which was also an overwhelming defeat for the renomination hopes of Vice President Wallace, came on the second ballot. The official announcement of the tally clerks gave the Missouri Senator 1,100 votes to 66 for Mr. Wallace and 4 for Associate Justice William O. Douglas.

[A tabulation of this ballot by The Associated Press from official records of the convention gave: Truman 1,031, Wallace 105. Other votes in the compilation were: Governor Cooper of Tennessee, 26; Senator Barkley of Kentucky, 6; Justice Douglas, 4 and Paul V. McNutt, 1.]

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election