The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, commando said:

i can see trump running as an independent if he loses the primary and his hard core MAGAGA horde following him and ruining the republican hopes

I agree.  Then, you will have the Republican party campaigning against him saying...."Do you really want to vote for a guy like Trump"?  Meanwhile, everyone with a brain will say..."WTF???  Why weren't you saying that in 2020?"

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  Then, you will have the Republican party campaigning against him saying...."Do you really want to vote for a guy like Trump"?  Meanwhile, everyone with a brain will say..."WTF???  Why weren't you saying that in 2020?"

I just hope the Dems nominate someone other than OLD JOE.  Need a good fall back plan if the GOP nominates trump or trump light.  

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

For Trump to win the primary, he will need a big number of primary opponents splitting the vote.  A head to head primary with RD would be bad for Trump. IMO 

Agreed, and at least as of today, I can't imagine there will be enough of a primary split. My gut is that there's going to be a fairly concerted effort in the Republican party (particularly among the heavy-hitting donors) to support DeSantis and work against Trump. DeSantis feels like their absolute best shot, and I think DeSantis would have a much easier time attempting to win over moderates. We're hearing rumblings of anti-Trumpism from all the traditional power players in the R party, the same group of folks that were on Trump's train in 2015/2016.

51 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Thinking about this more, the Republican's only option, since Trump will hold a gun to the party's head by threatening to run third party, is that they will cave and encourage Desantis to run as his running mate.  They're screwed otherwise.

I'm not convinced they're screwed just yet. There are a lot of pieces on the chess board still. I think DeSantis' rising stock can't be under-stated at this point, and most Republicans know that there is absolutely no way an Independent (even Trump) is winning a general election, so are enough of them willing to submarine their party just to stick it the party? Eh... maybe? What's more important for conservatives - getting the White House, or voting for a guy who has no shot of winning?

Biden may also be unpopular, but in the face of Trump, I think most people would still acquiesce to Biden if he chooses to run again (at least as of today).

And say Biden doesn't run, but they prop up a weaker candidate like Gavin Newsom or even Kamala Harris. If the ticket is R - Desantis, I - Trump, D - Newsom... I'd have a hard time betting against DeSantis.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not convinced they're screwed just yet. There are a lot of pieces on the chess board still. I think DeSantis' rising stock can't be under-stated at this point, and most Republicans know that there is absolutely no way an Independent (even Trump) is winning a general election, so are enough of them willing to submarine their party just to stick it the party? Eh... maybe? What's more important for conservatives - getting the White House, or voting for a guy who has no shot of winning?

Biden may also be unpopular, but in the face of Trump, I think most people would still acquiesce to Biden if he chooses to run again (at least as of today).

And say Biden doesn't run, but they prop up a weaker candidate like Gavin Newsom or even Kamala Harris. If the ticket is R - Desantis, I - Trump, D - Newsom... I'd have a hard time betting against DeSantis.

I think Josh Shapiro from PA could get some looks as well.

27 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Really?

I'm putting a huge chunk of money on whomever the D candidate is in this scenario.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

"I will follow him to the day I die"

Nope, not a cult.

The word "follow" as it pertains to being devoted to one person in American politics is pretty disgusting and shows really how deep down the rabbit hole some people have gone with him.

is that Max headroom?

MaxheadroomMpegMan.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Really?

I'm putting a huge chunk of money on whomever the D candidate is in this scenario.

I think you're underestimating the growing popularity of DeSantis as well as the vested interests among many Republican elite whom dislike Trump and want him out of their party's limelight. There is a lot that can happen in two years.

My point, more than anything, is that I think it is pure hubris for anyone to suggest Republicans are screwed at this point.

37 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think you're underestimating the growing popularity of DeSantis as well as the vested interests among many Republican elite whom dislike Trump and want him out of their party's limelight. There is a lot that can happen in two years.

My point, more than anything, is that I think it is pure hubris for anyone to suggest Republicans are screwed at this point.

Not to mention there's a sizeable body of voters who simply will not vote for a Democrat or a Republican. 

The actual swing voters in the middle are a very small group. 

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election