2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Do we know for sure there was a vote? Minnesota President said there wasn't yesterday.

I also stated the above about minny in another thread.  it is amazing how we have decided to believe every "fact" that is posted by some media source or for that matter an X-player from a team that has such strong history with an opponent.

11 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah its been so confusing honestly. But seems like Day straight up said today the President, AD, him and players all wanted to go forward with a fall season. 

Yea but then he says this

seems to me he just wasnt on the same page.

As far as timing of events. Big 10 cancelled the season. Nebraska said they are going to continue looking at how to put together a season. The big 10 responded and said essentially Nebraska will no longer be part of the big 10 if they do that. 

1. Can we all agree no one at Nebraska would have said anything publicly about playing a season without the big 10 unless they all talked and were on the same page and knew a possible outcome would be getting booted from the league? I think we knew that was a possible outcome and we dont really care. I think we are a bad fit culturally with the Big10 and they brought us into the league while we were mid downward spiral so we have not held up our end of the bargain on the field. I think losing our southern games every year has hurt recruiting and we get treated like the red headed step child by the big 10. Maybe not recently- but historically we are every bit an equal to Michigan and Ohio state and Penn State. Yet we get treated like Purdue.

2. Did Ohio State say they were exploring playing a fall season as well before or after the comment from Big 10 commissioner Warren?

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the remaining three P5 conferences starts a season. But much like MLB, they're going to have significant numbers of athletes contract Covid, and they're going to shut down before they play a full slate of games.

Maybe it's enough for them to say, "We tried."  Not sure if that'll help them or hurt them in the future. 

But what I think is most likely to happen is the Big XII, ACC & SEC take a hard look at the hotspot map and decide they're the last place that should actually play. 

IdIlOQc.png

The Ivy League sure missed an opportunity to dominate that media footprint.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

As far as timing of events. Big 10 cancelled the season. Nebraska said they are going to continue looking at how to put together a season. The big 10 responded and said essentially Nebraska will no longer be part of the big 10 if they do that. 

1. Can we all agree no one at Nebraska would have said anything publicly about playing a season without the big 10 unless they all talked and were on the same page and knew a possible outcome would be getting booted from the league? I think we knew that was a possible outcome and we dont really care. I think we are a bad fit culturally with the Big10 and they brought us into the league while we were mid downward spiral so we have not held up our end of the bargain on the field. I think losing our southern games every year has hurt recruiting and we get treated like the red headed step child by the big 10. Maybe not recently- but historically we are every bit an equal to Michigan and Ohio state and Penn State. Yet we get treated like Purdue.

2. Did Ohio State say they were exploring playing a fall season as well before or after the comment from Big 10 commissioner Warren?

I believe Day did say something before the decision (also pleaded with them not to make the decision immediately the day before they did), it just wasn't as formal as Frost's presser. So it's not like they're just copying us, but they waited longer to be vocal about it.

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The Ivy League sure missed an opportunity to dominate that media footprint.

Has Slippery Rock canceled their season yet?  

(For those that remember the old "Prudential College Football Scoreboard Show" with Dave Diles - every week they always gave Slippery Rock's score)

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

All this combined with the Minnesota President's comments, and Warren refusing to answer questions about the votes - makes me think there was no vote. 

Yup, so now tOSU apparently wasn't on board, NU wasn't, Minnesota said she didn't vote and Iowa apparently wasn't in agreement. Still trying to figure out who agreed or if everyone is just trying to save face.

22 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Yup, so now tOSU apparently wasn't on board, NU wasn't, Minnesota said she didn't vote and Iowa apparently wasn't in agreement. Still trying to figure out who agreed or if everyone is just trying to save face.

Days comments seem at odds. Which was said first that they would be looking at other options or that they'll move on?