Biden's America

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Remind me again how the President can spend tax money. Oh that’s right, they can’t. That power is specifically reserved for congress.

Heck of a lot better than that bulls#!t "Be happy about the weather!" clip someone already posted.

A good chunk of the country would rather just pretend this isn't a problem at all. Our be like Texas, where they took the "free-market" solution, privatized their grid to get that damn gubmint out of there, and now either ask people to brownout or force them to when the grid inevitably craps out under heavy load. Too bad for those folks not Texas tough enough to make it through the sweltering heat!

Of course when appropriate presidents should not try to overstep their bounds. But when half of Congress is rife with deniers who don't even acknowledge the issue, I'd rather have them doing something than no one doing anything.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

Heck of a lot better than that bulls#!t "Be happy about the weather!" clip someone already posted.

A good chunk of the country would rather just pretend this isn't a problem at all. Our be like Texas, where they took the "free-market" solution, privatized their grid to get that damn gubmint out of there, and now either ask people to brownout or force them to when the grid inevitably craps out under heavy load. Too bad for those folks not Texas tough enough to make it through the sweltering heat!

Of course when appropriate presidents should not try to overstep their bounds. But when half of Congress is rife with deniers who don't even acknowledge the issue, I'd rather have them doing something than no one doing anything.

I wasn’t marginalizing the problem. I just don’t think there is much Joe can do about it. If he tries to, the Rs will put the brakes on it.

I agree that our government/congress is completely dysfunctional. Unfortunately executive orders are a bad way to go about fixing things. It wasn’t good when Trump did it, it won’t work to any degree if Biden tries it and it’s a s#!tty precedent to set for how to run this country.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, teachercd said:

Remember, Joe can't do anything about gas prices, inflation or the economy...

But he can make the sun less hot!

I kid, I kid, sort of.

Joe can't, but MIT thinks they can:

MIT Scientists Propose ‘Space Bubbles’ to Deflect Solar Radiation, Ease Climate Change

A raft of thin-film silicon bubbles deployed from Earth into outer space and stretching to the size of Brazil could potentially block the Sun’s solar radiation from further warming Earth, possibly helping to not only stave off climate change, but potentially reverse it.

This new “space bubbles” plan offered by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology rifts off a concept first offered by astronomer Roger Angel. The multidisciplinary team of architects, civil and mechanical engineers, physicists and material scientists have worked on the technical and social aspects of what the group calls a “planetary-scale project” in an effort to find a non-Earth-bound solution to climate change.

The MIT group believes that if the raft of bubbles can deflect 1.8 percent of incident solar radiation before it hits Earth, they can fully reverse today’s global warming. Even if they can’t establish a 1.8 percent shading, they trust a smaller percentage provides enough benefit to help mitigate global warming.

Seems easy enough.

bubbles-melody-yang-wired-how-to.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

MIT Scientists Propose ‘Space Bubbles’ to Deflect Solar Radiation, Ease Climate Change

A raft of thin-film silicon bubbles deployed from Earth into outer space and stretching to the size of Brazil could potentially block the Sun’s solar radiation from further warming Earth, possibly helping to not only stave off climate change, but potentially reverse it.

This new “space bubbles” plan offered by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology rifts off a concept first offered by astronomer Roger Angel. The multidisciplinary team of architects, civil and mechanical engineers, physicists and material scientists have worked on the technical and social aspects of what the group calls a “planetary-scale project” in an effort to find a non-Earth-bound solution to climate change.

The MIT group believes that if the raft of bubbles can deflect 1.8 percent of incident solar radiation before it hits Earth, they can fully reverse today’s global warming. Even if they can’t establish a 1.8 percent shading, they trust a smaller percentage provides enough benefit to help mitigate global warming.

Seems easy enough.

Those bubbles!

So I sent one student to MIT in all my time as a teacher. 

The kid was so crazy smart that it was almost annoying to have him in class!  Luckily he was super nice and didn't call me out for all my mistakes.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Seems easy enough.

It will only be a matter of time before these bubbles turn on us and we have a Matrix situation

• Haha 2