Biden's America

25 minutes ago, admo said:

Ahem.  

We've seen how your Joe Biden famously mishandled Afghanistan.  We've seen inflation skyrocket in record numbers, fuel prices rising astronomically, and how Biden ignored and mishandled the mass border crisis, then flew illegal immigrants across the country during the middle of the night...  We also know - without a doubt - that Joe Biden deserves absolutely zero credit towards vaccinations - when Trump said they were coming by the new year during the debates.  Biden, as you recall, scoffed at that and said "you need masks and the wherewithal, for science.... to see it, touch it, feel it".

So what will Joe Biden do now, along with his Democratic Utopia, with regards to this Russia and Ukraine nightmare?  Will he help Ukraine? Choose not to help them? 

The country is barely more than a year into his appointed presidency.  

What's he going to do as a leader of the most powerful nation in the world?

This is the president you voted for, so you should have great knowledge, CNN, MSNBC, (don't forget NPR's viewpoint, or LP), plus random twitter stuff to provide answers.

Biden's America...

:snacks:
Discuss.

Man, if you put it like that…

Makes it really pathetic that he was ,by far, the best candidate left for POTUS in the general election.

America, woof!

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 11:22 AM, JJ Husker said:

The 5% I used as an example was very much not the thing to focus on. It doesn’t matter if its 1% or 300% for the point I was making.

Well the point I was making is that a lot of people are asked to make sacrifices in times of crisis. They are typically from the plucky middle and underclass, and we celebrate them for their resiliency,.

Seeing both an unprecedented global emergency and what is likely a temporary window of inflation, you might think a package goods company could simply maintain their healthy profits and executive compensation rather than increase them at the expense of the plucky underclass and their inspiring sacrifices. 

And of course they may have gamed the system by taking stimulus money aimed at small businesses, by pretending their frachisees and O&O stores were small businesses, when in fact that taxpayer money went to a handful of already very wealthy people. 

Sure, companies have a right to make money and who wouldn't grab every f#&%ing penny they could get if given the chance?

I mean other than people with a moral compass, empathy, and patriotic duty. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, admo said:

Ahem.  

We've seen how your Joe Biden famously mishandled Afghanistan.  We've seen inflation skyrocket in record numbers, fuel prices rising astronomically, and how Biden ignored and mishandled the mass border crisis, then flew illegal immigrants across the country during the middle of the night...  We also know - without a doubt - that Joe Biden deserves absolutely zero credit towards vaccinations - when Trump said they were coming by the new year during the debates.  Biden, as you recall, scoffed at that and said "you need masks and the wherewithal, for science.... to see it, touch it, feel it".

So what will Joe Biden do now, along with his Democratic Utopia, with regards to this Russia and Ukraine nightmare?  Will he help Ukraine? Choose not to help them? 

This is the president you voted for, so you should have great knowledge, CNN, MSNBC, (don't forget NPR's viewpoint, or LP), plus random twitter stuff to provide answers.

Biden's America...

Discuss.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I might be the closest on here to a Biden apologist, if only because I was so strongly against a second Trump term and that meant throwing my lot in with the alternative... But nonetheless...'

I don't actually view much of what you listed as a failing to slag onto him. 

Afghanistan was poorly handled, no qualms there. It was the right move (that Trump didn't have the nads to execute) but it was a botched job with a lot of unintended consequences. But we're out of that quagmire now.

Presidents get too much credit when the economy does well and too much blame when it goes poorly. The inflation and gas prices aren't metrics with switches in the White House POTUS can flip at will to make such things go up or down. We do have more indirect interventions that take time. But we can't control global triggers for this stuff like a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic or Putin losing his damn mind and spiking energy costs. If we could that would be sick though.

I haven't paid much attention to immigration stuff. This certainly matters a lot more to some people than it does to me. I definitely didn't dig Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric as I'm pretty decidedly pro-immigration. I like tacos. And I think we should accept as many Ukrainian refugees as we can if they wish to come here. 

Biden does miles better on Trump for the pandemic by taking it seriously rather than downplaying it and deferring to experts rather than thinking he knows better than anyone else. Some Dems are definitely too restrictive in their approach which clamps down on "life as normal" which is a decided political loser position. We should reopen as much as sensibly possible everywhere we can. Seems like we're just going to be stuck with a good chunk of the population who refuses the shot and prolongs our suffering as we try to revert to normal. I kind of dig those "Unvaccinated? Sorry we can't treat you at this hospital right now" personal responsibility measures and all that, though. 

I think he's handling Ukraine pretty admirably. Cooperation and consensus-building to work as a team to swing back at Vlad... that's good stuff. Going it alone isn't viable here. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well the point I was making is that a lot of people are asked to make sacrifices in times of crisis. They are typically from the plucky middle and underclass, and we celebrate them for their resiliency,.

Seeing both an unprecedented global emergency and what is likely a temporary window of inflation, you might think a package goods company could simply maintain their healthy profits and executive compensation rather than increase them at the expense of the plucky underclass and their inspiring sacrifices. 

And of course they may have gamed the system by taking stimulus money aimed at small businesses, by pretending their frachisees and O&O stores were small businesses, when in fact that taxpayer money went to a handful of already very wealthy people. 

Sure, companies have a right to make money and who wouldn't grab every f#&%ing penny they could get if given the chance?

I mean other than people with a moral compass, empathy, and patriotic duty. 

Those are nice sentiments….for a Utopia we don’t live in and don’t have. Everybody who isn’t in the top 5% or 10% always gets screwed. Nobody is going to sacrifice by choice. Nobody. I couldn’t care less about “plucky”, “resilience” and “sacrifice” and  I’m in the group that constantly gets screwed. I guess I know exactly what to expect from large corporations so it doesn’t surprise me. Moral compass, empathy, patriotic duty….all things of a bygone era.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, admo said:

Ahem.  

Biden's America...

Discuss.

1) Name the President who didn't mishandle Afghanistan. Review the terms Biden inherited from his predecessor.

2) Pull up the economic indicators we once celebrated under Trump; employment, stock market, manufacturing, consumer confidence.They're actually better under BIden.

3) Inflation and fuel prices? Wow, nobody saw that coming. Except that everyone saw it coming, because a massive global crisis made it inevitable. Globally. As in places where Joe Biden wasn't President.  The Russia situation will likely raise gas prices some more. What's your point? 

4) I honestly don't remember the recent mass border crisis. Certainly not any more than I remember the past border crises that for some reason didn't get blamed on the President in office. Who built part of an incredibly stupid and expensive wall that didn't help a thing. 

5) Biden deserves every bit of credit for what he actually did with vaccinations, which was to oversee their availability and distribution as much and as soon as possible. Trump probably would have done the same, if that's what you're getting at. But would you characterize Trump as a better friend to life-saving vaccines than Biden?  Discuss.

6) What will Biden do with regards to Russia and Ukraine? A safe bet is that he will do what any previous President would do, which is probably what any Dem or Republican 2016 or 2020 candidate would, do, which is what Biden is doing right now, which is also what every other First World leader is recommending. 

7) I'm not accusing you of rooting for a Putin-led nightmare in order to discredit Joe Biden. But I'm also not not accusing you of that. Sure a lot of that vibe in the air.

8) FWIW, I wouldn't call the most monolithic and cockblocking GOP in history, nor the incredible clout of Kristen Sinema and Joe Manchin, to be anything resembling a Democrat Utopia. 

9) If relative peace, reasonable fuel prices, and a robust economy are your cup of tea, how thrilled were you with the Obama and Clinton presidencies? 

10) Joe Biden was perhaps my last choices for Democratic candidate. But as someone already pointed out, that still left him vastly preferable to the Republican option.  

Ahem.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Man, if you put it like that…

Makes it really pathetic that he was ,by far, the best candidate left for POTUS in the general election.

America, woof!

Very pathetic!  I disagree with your best candidate opinion, no offense.  But you are right that this is awful when this is our best 2 choices for our country :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
52 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Those are nice sentiments….for a Utopia we don’t live in and don’t have. Everybody who isn’t in the top 5% or 10% always gets screwed. Nobody is going to sacrifice by choice. Nobody. I couldn’t care less about “plucky”, “resilience” and “sacrifice” and  I’m in the group that constantly gets screwed. I guess I know exactly what to expect from large corporations so it doesn’t surprise me. Moral compass, empathy, patriotic duty….all things of a bygone era.

Dude, I never said any of this surprised me. 

But you're wrong. A lot of people do sacrifice by choice. Weirdly enough, we used to admire them.

And there actually are large corporations that occasionally channel unexpected profits back into their workforce, workplace upgrades, community, and social justice. It's not utopian. It's just decency.  Funny part is, it can also be good for business. 

So if I'm reading you correctly you're saying.....give up?  Don't point out corporations behaving badly? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I might be the closest on here to a Biden apologist, if only because I was so strongly against a second Trump term and that meant throwing my lot in with the alternative... But nonetheless...'

I don't actually view much of what you listed as a failing to slag onto him. 

Afghanistan was poorly handled, no qualms there. It was the right move (that Trump didn't have the nads to execute) but it was a botched job with a lot of unintended consequences. But we're out of that quagmire now.

Presidents get too much credit when the economy does well and too much blame when it goes poorly. The inflation and gas prices aren't metrics with switches in the White House POTUS can flip at will to make such things go up or down. We do have more indirect interventions that take time. But we can't control global triggers for this stuff like a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic or Putin losing his damn mind and spiking energy costs. If we could that would be sick though.

I haven't paid much attention to immigration stuff. This certainly matters a lot more to some people than it does to me. I definitely didn't dig Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric as I'm pretty decidedly pro-immigration. I like tacos. And I think we should accept as many Ukrainian refugees as we can if they wish to come here. 

Biden does miles better on Trump for the pandemic by taking it seriously rather than downplaying it and deferring to experts rather than thinking he knows better than anyone else. Some Dems are definitely too restrictive in their approach which clamps down on "life as normal" which is a decided political loser position. We should reopen as much as sensibly possible everywhere we can. Seems like we're just going to be stuck with a good chunk of the population who refuses the shot and prolongs our suffering as we try to revert to normal. I kind of dig those "Unvaccinated? Sorry we can't treat you at this hospital right now" personal responsibility measures and all that, though. 

I think he's handling Ukraine pretty admirably. Cooperation and consensus-building to work as a team to swing back at Vlad... that's good stuff. Going it alone isn't viable here. 

Disagree that Biden does miles better with that, but I always appreciate your thoughts. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

1) Name the President who didn't mishandle Afghanistan. Review the terms Biden inherited from his predecessor.

2) Pull up the economic indicators we once celebrated under Trump; employment, stock market, manufacturing, consumer confidence.They're actually better under BIden.

3) Inflation and fuel prices? Wow, nobody saw that coming. Except that everyone saw it coming, because a massive global crisis made it inevitable. Globally. As in places where Joe Biden wasn't President.  The Russia situation will likely raise gas prices some more. What's your point? 

4) I honestly don't remember the recent mass border crisis. Certainly not any more than I remember the past border crises that for some reason didn't get blamed on the President in office. Who built part of an incredibly stupid and expensive wall that didn't help a thing. 

5) Biden deserves every bit of credit for what he actually did with vaccinations, which was to oversee their availability and distribution as much and as soon as possible. Trump probably would have done the same, if that's what you're getting at. But would you characterize Trump as a better friend to life-saving vaccines than Biden?  Discuss.

6) What will Biden do with regards to Russia and Ukraine? A safe bet is that he will do what any previous President would do, which is probably what any Dem or Republican 2016 or 2020 candidate would, do, which is what Biden is doing right now, which is also what every other First World leader is recommending. 

7) I'm not accusing you of rooting for a Putin-led nightmare in order to discredit Joe Biden. But I'm also not not accusing you of that. Sure a lot of that vibe in the air.

8) FWIW, I wouldn't call the most monolithic and cockblocking GOP in history, nor the incredible clout of Kristen Sinema and Joe Manchin, to be anything resembling a Democrat Utopia. 

9) If relative peace, reasonable fuel prices, and a robust economy are your cup of tea, how thrilled were you with the Obama and Clinton presidencies? 

10) Joe Biden was perhaps my last choices for Democratic candidate. But as someone already pointed out, that still left him vastly preferable to the Republican option.  

Ahem.

I don't know if you are talking current events while Biden is in office, since he is the focal point.  But I promise to read thru it during breakfast, with toast and coffee :)  I hope you aren't trying to bring up former presidents to make a point, or republicans that you disapprove of.  Can't wait to see!

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

You damn right JJ !!!

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Dude, I never said any of this surprised me. 

But you're wrong. A lot of people do sacrifice by choice. Weirdly enough, we used to admire them.

And there actually are large corporations that occasionally channel unexpected profits back into their workforce, workplace upgrades, community, and social justice. It's not utopian. It's just decency.  Funny part is, it can also be good for business. 

So if I'm reading you correctly you're saying.....give up?  Don't point out corporations behaving badly? 

No, by all means point it out. I just don’t expect them to behave in a less than revolting way. But when this discussion started, I sensed that some were equating rising prices due to inflation with large corporation malfeasance. My point is and was, some of it is (like always) and some of it is just businesses doing what they do without ill intent. I think it can be hard to tell the difference in this economic environment. The only evidence cannot be rising prices. But sure if their execs are getting huge pay increases, the workers getting screwed, etc. then sure we can complain about them.

14 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Thanks man. You too. Disagreement is always welcome. Hopefully we can get back to just disagreeing sometimes and liking each other anyway rather than.... whatever lately has been :thumbs

For sure homie, don't even worry.  You good in my book

7 hours ago, admo said:

We've seen inflation skyrocket in record numbers, fuel prices rising astronomically

7 hours ago, admo said:

We also know - without a doubt - that Joe Biden deserves absolutely zero credit towards vaccinations

Biden gets all the blame for inflation and gas prices and gets zero credit for vaccines.

lol ok. Didn't know the circus was in town right now.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This thought process is just flat out flawed.  Companies have to do what they need to do and that's not some nefarious action.

Take our industry.  Going back to winter 2020/2021.  Inflation was starting.  Everyone was saying it was temporary.  Our industry (which is a pretty big industry) resisted raising prices.  Raw material costs were skyrocketing, labor costs were going up, delivery costs were going up.  Everything was going up.  Again, constantly told it was temporary so, everyone resisted raising prices.  Result?  Everyone was hit pretty hard financially.  Once spring of 2021 started and costs still were going up, we had no choice but to raise prices and those prices have constantly gone up because our costs constantly have gone up.  Right now, our industry is sitting on lead times of 16-20 weeks because the demand is so high.  I have absolutely no clue what our costs are going to be at that time.  So, you have to protect yourself and raise prices a little more than what you would normally do.  The construction supply industry typically works on pretty tight margins.  You can't expect companies to just exist into perpetuity not knowing if they are going to cover their costs or not.

Sure, you can point out certain examples of price gouging.  But, from my experience, that's not the norm.  Companies are trying to work within an extremely difficult cost environment right now when they really don't know where their costs are going to go.  If companies like ours guess wrong, what happens?  People lose their jobs.  Is that what people would prefer?