Biden's America

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I heard this mentioned after the town hall. I didn't watch however. Accurate or out of context?

His comment is weird.

“The idea that I say to a community, I'm going to forgive billions of dollars is dead for people who have gone to Harvard and Yale and Penn … is that going to be forgiven rather than use that money to provide for early education for young children who are coming from disadvantaged circumstances?” Biden said.

I think that is supposed to say "in debt" not "in dead."

But anyway, I think based on this statement that Biden is ignorant on how much student loan debt can be racked up going to public universities. That's the only thing I can think of because it's not really relevant where people went to school. He must think only people who went to private schools have that much debt. There are some decent arguments against student loan forgiveness (I personally don't think they outweigh the arguments for it) but this statement isn't one of them.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

His comment is weird.

“The idea that I say to a community, I'm going to forgive billions of dollars is dead for people who have gone to Harvard and Yale and Penn … is that going to be forgiven rather than use that money to provide for early education for young children who are coming from disadvantaged circumstances?” Biden said.

I think that is supposed to say "in debt" not "in dead."

But anyway, I think based on this statement that Biden is ignorant on how much student loan debt can be racked up going to public universities. That's the only thing I can think of because it's not really relevant where people went to school. He must think only people who went to private schools have that much debt. There are some decent arguments against student loan forgiveness (I personally don't think they outweigh the arguments for it) but this statement isn't one of them.

Thanks !

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks !

5 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I heard this mentioned after the town hall. I didn't watch however. Accurate or out of context?

I didn't watch last night either.  But talking to some people at school today, Biden apparently did mention making community college and trade school tuition free through an infrastructure bill.

If true, I'm glad something good will happen besides just getting rid of Trump :cheers

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I didn't watch last night either.  But talking to some people at school today, Biden apparently did mention making community college and trade school tuition free through an infrastructure bill.

If true, I'm glad something good will happen besides just getting rid of Trump :cheers

I still think trade school should be something that kids can start while in HS...

• Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can definitely get behind something like that 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I still think trade school should be something that kids can start while in HS...

What they should do (maybe this exists already and I'm just ignorant) is have high school classes that count as credits toward a trade school degree, just like they do with the AP classes counting towards college credit in English, Math, History, etc.

Like if you take wood shop it should count towards some community college class that is part of an associate's degree. Or CAD, or graphic design, or whatever.

I know you can take college classes to count for high school credit which in a way is the same thing, but I don't think that's something that's actually promoted and it doesn't always go towards a core requirement to graduate high school.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

TBH this would probably piss off fewer people. One problem with forgiving a bunch of student loan debt is it sucks for those who came before and those who came after. At least with making community college or trade school free you don't have the problem with it being unfair for those who come after, and for those who came before... it's less likely that it caused a huge debt. It's more likely that people were just unable to attend.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What they should do (maybe this exists already and I'm just ignorant) is have high school classes that count as credits toward a trade school degree, just like they do with the AP classes counting towards college credit in English, Math, History, etc.

Like if you take wood shop it should count towards some community college class that is part of an associate's degree. Or CAD, or graphic design, or whatever.

I know you can take college classes to count for high school credit which in a way is the same thing, but I don't think that's something that's actually promoted and it doesn't always go towards a core requirement to graduate high school.

That's a really good idea. I know some schools have cut those programs, but if a school has that option, I think it'd be silly to not allow it to count towards trade school credit if the curriculum can be approved.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's a really good idea. I know some schools have cut those programs, but if a school has that option, I think it'd be silly to not allow it to count towards trade school credit if the curriculum can be approved.

Maybe it could lead to some schools adding them back in. The NCLBA didn't seem to have a positive effect on learning outcomes anyway so I think we should do away with this obsession on standardized testing and only learning a small # of subjects that often don't end up leading to good jobs anyway. And without leading to good jobs a lot of these subjects don't help a lot of people in real life. Not saying they shouldn't be learned but we should go back to having more variety.

I hadn't really thought of this before but I graduated before all of that started and I got so burned out on math that I didn't take it as a senior and didn't take another math class until 7 years after I graduated high school (and had to start from scratch). And I bet things are probably worse now.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yep!  I have been saying this for years.  It makes perfect sense.  

"We have heard many nice words and promises which in practice have been broken and opposite actions have been taken. Words and promises are no good. This time (we want) only action from the other side, and we will also act," Khamenei said in a televised speech.

Biden aims to restore the pact under which Iran agreed to curbs on its nuclear program in return for the lifting of sanctions, a major achievement of the Obama administration abandoned by Trump in 2018.

Iran's Khamenei Demands 'Action, Not Words' From Biden to Revive Nuclear Deal

It still surprises me to this day that Trump never actually stoked a fire hot enough for an actual war to start up.  Let's hope Biden can keep that trend rolling.

• Haha 1