Biden's America

On 4/13/2024 at 2:36 PM, teachercd said:

What will the US response be now they iran attacked Israel?!?!

Biden said “Don’t retaliate !”…and Israel ignored him.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree for central and SAmerica.

I disagree concerning Chinese nationals and Arab nationals 

Exactly!  What kids don’t like playing in sand boxes and making Nikes?!?

Seriously, in what world is a life of poverty in the USA not a million times better than even the average lifestyle of folks in China and Afghanistan?  I’d rather take my chances of being shot in a bad US neighborhood than getting randomly bombed in the Middle East…

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree for central and SAmerica.

I disagree concerning Chinese nationals and Arab nationals 

Why would they be any different? Some of them choose to cross the Darien gap, which is the most dangerous place on earth. You don't do that as an immigrant for S&Gs.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Exactly!  What kids don’t like playing in sand boxes and making Nikes?!?

Seriously, in what world is a life of poverty in the USA not a million times better than even the average lifestyle of folks in China and Afghanistan?  I’d rather take my chances of being shot in a bad US neighborhood than getting randomly bombed in the Middle East…

Then why all single young men?

• Fire 2
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Why would they be any different? Some of them choose to cross the Darien gap, which is the most dangerous place on earth. You don't do that as an immigrant for S&Gs.

Chinese and Arabs crossing this from where

11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Simply due to the fact they end up in the US.

Lots of "western" nations much closer and easier to get to.

But we're the best country in the world, right? If you could choose, why would you settle?

10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Then why all single young men?

Are you implying that the only people emigrating to the US are single young men? That's not remotely true.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states

What is the median age for immigrants?

The immigrant population’s median age in 2022 was 47 years, making it older than the U.S.-born population, which had a median age of 37 years.

One reason for this difference is that immigrants arrive largely as adults, whereas immigrants’ U.S.-born children contribute to the younger median age of the native-born population. Less than 1 percent of immigrants were under age 5 in 2022, compared to 6 percent of the U.S. born. Five percent of immigrants were children ages 5 to 17, as compared with 18 percent of the U.S. born. Seventy-seven percent of immigrants were of working age (18 to 64 years), a much higher figure than the 58 percent of the U.S. born. Close to 18 percent of immigrants and 17 percent of the U.S. born were age 65 or older.

What is the sex ratio of the immigrant population?

About 51 percent of all U.S. immigrants in 2022 were female, compared to 50 percent of the native born. The share has fluctuated slightly over the past four decades, but immigrant women and girls tend to slightly outnumber men and boys. They accounted for 53 percent of the immigrant population in 1980, 51 percent in 1990, 50 percent in 2000, and 51 percent in 2010.

27 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Simply due to the fact they end up in the US.

Lots of "western" nations much closer and easier to get to.

And apparently with better healthcare systems we are told, and less racist than our country we are told and better at once in a generation issues like Covid we are told, and better transportation systems we are told.   No idea why they would want to bypass those countries and enter the US. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
47 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But we're the best country in the world, right? If you could choose, why would you settle?

Are you implying that the only people emigrating to the US are single young men? That's not remotely true.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states

What is the median age for immigrants?

The immigrant population’s median age in 2022 was 47 years, making it older than the U.S.-born population, which had a median age of 37 years.

One reason for this difference is that immigrants arrive largely as adults, whereas immigrants’ U.S.-born children contribute to the younger median age of the native-born population. Less than 1 percent of immigrants were under age 5 in 2022, compared to 6 percent of the U.S. born. Five percent of immigrants were children ages 5 to 17, as compared with 18 percent of the U.S. born. Seventy-seven percent of immigrants were of working age (18 to 64 years), a much higher figure than the 58 percent of the U.S. born. Close to 18 percent of immigrants and 17 percent of the U.S. born were age 65 or older.

What is the sex ratio of the immigrant population?

About 51 percent of all U.S. immigrants in 2022 were female, compared to 50 percent of the native born. The share has fluctuated slightly over the past four decades, but immigrant women and girls tend to slightly outnumber men and boys. They accounted for 53 percent of the immigrant population in 1980, 51 percent in 1990, 50 percent in 2000, and 51 percent in 2010.

I, as always, am speaking of illegal immigrants. You are talking about legal newcomers. I am very pro legal immigration btw, as stated here many many times.

Big difference.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1