New AD or Head Coach

Frost and Moos are fine for the job IMO.  This team just needs a winning streak to happen.  To get there they have to learn how to win.  And learn how to close out opponents. How to finish strong. 

I feel like it can happen.  I have to remind myself to be patient.  Not the easiest thing to do.  Especially when you see the teams we play (respectfully), and knowing that beating them is right there in front of you.

Just do it

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Something of note. Because I have been pretty hard on Frost the last few weeks on this board. Hedley Lamar posted a thread earlier today and some of what he says makes sense. He is one of the guys on this board who does have a legit inside source. He mentions Frost is trying to do too much- essentially he needs to hire a legit P5 staff and not the guys he has now. I think we all knew that- but if Frost is spread too thin because he doesn't trust his staff that could be a lot of the issues we see. He needs to be less in the details of just offense and have his fingers on all parts of the program. Moos and Nebraska needs to have a no s#!t conversation with him- this makes me feel like Frost could still be the guy but he needs to stop the loyalty and get the RIGHT staff. These guys have ridden his coat tails long enough- get a P5 staff.

Yeah that worries me too. I’m all for giving Frost the next two years, it will be up to him to make the changes he sees fit. But running the same thing back the next two years could hold him back 

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I put together some data to see how the program has done over the past 10 years, and I was interested to see the differences under Pelini, Riley and Frost.  A few things jump out at me looking at this data:

1.  2014 was the most points scored by far and the 2nd greatest positive point differential in the past decade.  This was also the year Pelini was fired.  

2.  The 2010 defense was by far the best we have seen in the past decade.  We were still in the BIG 12 but this was near the height of Pelinis success coming off the amazing 2009 defensive season.

3.  The 2017 and 2020 seasons (3rd years for Riley and Frost) have been by far the worst point differentials over the past decade at -10.6 and -12.  

4.  The 2015 season had a better point differential than the 2016 season despite only winning 5 games in 2015 and 9 games in 2016. This shows how winning some close games can make a huge difference.

5.  We have had only one winning season in the past 6 years which was Riley's 2nd year.

Year Points Scored Points Allowed Differential Wins Losses Win Percentage
2010 30.9 17.4 13.5 10 4 0.714
2011 29.2 23.4 5.8 9 4 0.692
2012 34.8 27.6 7.2 10 4 0.714
2013 31.9 24.8 7.1 9 4 0.692
2014 37.8 26.4 11.4 9 3 0.750
2015 32.8 27.8 5 5 7 0.417
2016 26.5 23.9 2.6 9 4 0.692
2017 25.8 36.4 -10.6 4 8 0.333
2018 30 31.2 -1.2 4 8 0.333
2019 28 27.8 0.2 5 7 0.417
2020 20.6 32.6 -12 1 4 0.200

You forgot to mention how well the team played for Barney Cotton against USC in the 2014 Holiday Bowl.

41 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Something of note. Because I have been pretty hard on Frost the last few weeks on this board. Hedley Lamar posted a thread earlier today and some of what he says makes sense. He is one of the guys on this board who does have a legit inside source. He mentions Frost is trying to do too much- essentially he needs to hire a legit P5 staff and not the guys he has now. I think we all knew that- but if Frost is spread too thin because he doesn't trust his staff that could be a lot of the issues we see. He needs to be less in the details of just offense and have his fingers on all parts of the program. Moos and Nebraska needs to have a no s#!t conversation with him- this makes me feel like Frost could still be the guy but he needs to stop the loyalty and get the RIGHT staff. These guys have ridden his coat tails long enough- get a P5 staff.

One of the first rules to taking over an organization  is not to change to too much year one. Get an insider view, prioritize your needs, make a logical plan. particular to this situation where the staff did not have much of a history in the BTN 

I am not a fan of sacrificing years for “progress” 

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah that worries me too. I’m all for giving Frost the next two years, it will be up to him to make the changes he sees fit. But running the same thing back the next two years could hold him back 

I just hope we don't blame everything on COVID. You should still be able to evaluate your staff and growth of the team. Sure things did not play out exactly like a regular year. But good coaches, teammates, employees excel even with adversity. So I dont want excuses. If someone needs to go after this year because they are obviously not up to snuff- then do it. I don't want a subpar assistant to stick around for 2021 just because 2020 was a weird year.

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just hope we don't blame everything on COVID. You should still be able to evaluate your staff and growth of the team. Sure things did not play out exactly like a regular year. But good coaches, teammates, employees excel even with adversity. So I dont want excuses. If someone needs to go after this year because they are obviously not up to snuff- then do it. I don't want a subpar assistant to stick around for 2021 just because 2020 was a weird year.

Agreed that not everything can be blamed on it being a weird year but you cannot exclude the impact of the virus and restrictions. No spring football and abbreviated fall camp with no nonconference games have obviously had an impact. For instance, how do you judge the work done by Rutledge when he's had all of 2-3 months to work with special teams and the punter he recruited being hurt all year? Yes, Frost should evaluate the whole program but to jump for changes right now may cause more harm than the alternative of letting things play out a little longer, see how the season finishes up and consider how spring football works out. 

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed that not everything can be blamed on it being a weird year but you cannot exclude the impact of the virus and restrictions. No spring football and abbreviated fall camp with no nonconference games have obviously had an impact. For instance, how do you judge the work done by Rutledge when he's had all of 2-3 months to work with special teams and the punter he recruited being hurt all year? Yes, Frost should evaluate the whole program but to jump for changes right now may cause more harm than the alternative of letting things play out a little longer, see how the season finishes up and consider how spring football works out. 

I just thought maybe we could save Smothers before Mario f#&%s him up too. 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

I just thought maybe we could save Smothers before Mario f#&%s him up too. 

Cool story.

This would be 13th in the country (without Luke's attempts).  

Obviously taking out everyone's worst games would make them better but 85% would be leading the country by over 5% and leading everyone except Ohio State by over 10%.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Cool story.

Obviously taking out everyone's worst games would make them better but 85% would be leading the country by over 5% and leading everyone except Ohio State by over 10%.

tenor.gif?itemid=15183132

• Haha 2

Without question, Adrian is the better fit for this offense at this point.  LM should be on the field, however as a utility player given his shortcomings in the passing game.  It makes little sense to keep his speed on the sideline when we have such a lack of playmaking ability with our skill positions.

All of that said, I do feel as if we fixate too much on the QB and spend too little time discussing line development.  Out of curiosity, when was the last time NU had an offensive lineman named to a first or second All-Conference team?  Speaks volumes about where our deficiencies lie.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Cool story.

Are you going to stand there and say our QB play is acceptable the last 2 years? If it was to Frosts standards he would open the playbook like UCF. He wouldn’t have to bring in McCaffrey to run fast paced drives. There wouldn’t be a QB competition halfway through the season between a junior and a project freshman QB. It’s not good enough on the field. I don’t know anyone who thinks Martinez has gotten better the last few years- do you? 

Are you going to stand there and say our QB play is acceptable the last 2 years? If it was to Frosts standards he would open the playbook like UCF.

Are you going to stand there and say that all of our offensive troubles are 100% on the quarterbacks and that they are the ones holding everything else back?

He wouldn’t have to bring in McCaffrey to run fast paced drives.

He doesn't.  That's what people want to see.  We had to go fast when he got into the Northwestern game because we were behind late - everyone goes fast in that situation.  We didn't go any faster against Penn State.  McCaffrey got two series in the first half against Iowa that really weren't any different.  Then he got three plays in the second half specifically designed for him to run the ball.

There wouldn’t be a QB competition halfway through the season between a junior and a project freshman QB. It’s not good enough on the field.

I don't think there's really a competition.  I think they see the potential in Luke so they want to keep developing him.  But Martinez has always been the guy.  They kind of got backed into a corner after we lost to Northwestern and McCaffrey looked like he moved the ball better late in that game (even though we didn't score).  So after a bad showing from Martinez and two losses they felt like they had to try something different so Luke go the start against Penn State.  He really didn't play all that great but we won so you almost have to run him back out there again.  After a dismal showing against Illinois Martinez finally got back in there and - barring injury - is there to stay.

I don’t know anyone who thinks Martinez has gotten better the last few years- do you? 

Well, Pro Football Focus does.  His grade for this year is higher than his grade for 2018.  But who would want an unbiased, third-party option that objectively grades each play all season.

• Thanks 3