New AD or Head Coach

1 hour ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Yes and no. He replaced games with Miami and Cal with games against WMU and EMU then and beat Iowa State, Northwestern and Minnesota. 3 teams that won a combined 4 conference games that year. If Frost had replaced Colorado with a sunbelt team and somehow traded OSU for Rutgers on the schedule. He'd have done significantly better than his predecessor last year too.

Bold statement considering a SunBelt team came into Lincoln and went home with victory

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

That’s something that doesn’t get mentioned when we’re revising history to support our misery. 

That team was bad. That team also averaged 3 more points a game in conf play than this years team. An offense led by Tanner Lee that had virtually no run game. 

Idk what point I'm trying to make other than the 2017 Huskers sucked, and the 2020 Huskers also suck. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That team was bad. That team also averaged 3 more points a game in conf play than this years team. An offense led by Tanner Lee that had virtually no run game. 

Idk what point I'm trying to make other than the 2017 Huskers sucked, and the 2020 Huskers also suck. 

I know- but I don’t know if I’m overly hopeful or if this team is better than the record. I guess at some point you are your record. Except for the o-line and maybe running back, I don’t see glaringly obvious talent discrepancies. And maybe a little at QB and then a little bit at WR. TE’s are really pretty good. Lol. I guess almost the entire offensive is a little lacking. Maybe that accounts for the stupid play calling.  

55 minutes ago, TheSker said:

In his THIRD season as Nebraska's head football coach, Mike Riley lost his last three games by EIGHTY SEVEN points.

Yes and Riley was 19-19 in 3 seasons at Nebraska and I agreed with the decision to let him go.  I think it was right of many fans to criticize Riley for his lackluster resume over 3 years as Husker head coach, and I think its just as right for fans to also criticize Frost now for his lackluster resume in 3 years as head coach.  Frost is currently 10-19 and would need to win 9 straight to match Riley's record upon departure. I realize Riley inherited a program with a history of winning 9 games so that can explain some of the better record he has had over Frost thus far, but as I replied earlier, the fact that we are discussing if Frost has been as good as his predecessor is not a positive sign for the program.  We hired Frost to turnaround the program and that simply has not happened thus far.  Maybe with some significant changes this off season we will see great improvements in year 4.  

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Were you supportive of firing Riley after his 3rd season?

Also, for the record, I was one of the last hold-outs on backing Pelini.  Not that I didn't recognize his faults.  Many were mocking his #9wins as something pretty much anyone could do.  I was one of the loudest voices saying that it was really hard to win that many games each year.  Perhaps we've found that out now.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

In his THIRD season as Nebraska's head football coach, Mike Riley lost his last three games by EIGHTY SEVEN points.

Hi, first time caller, long time listener.  Love the show.  I have a two part question regarding your powerful statement above.

During Mike Riley's 2nd season with Nebraska, the Huskers were 7-0 and ranked #7 in the country.  This was a 7 game win streak going into Camp Randall to face #11 Wisconsin on ESPN at night.  The  game was tied 17-17 after four quarters and went to overtime.  The Huskers had not lost a game so far through 7 games, but now it's 8 games.

My question is, regarding your bold comment, in those 7 games they played, (actually 8 games), how many points did the the Huskers lose by? And so you know, the did end up losing to Wisconsin by 6 in overtime.  So make sure you scribble down 6.

And my second question is (get your calculator ready), during the Mike Riley era, the Huskers went 19-19 overall in three years.  12-14 in conference play.  Not too good IMO.  And his replacement so far, HCSF is 10-20 overall in his third season, 7-17 in conference play.

19-19 vs 10-20

Which record is better if you throw away the names?  And winning percentage?  I am not interested in your own personal displeasure with Riley in comparison to your love for Frost.  These are simple questions 6th graders can answer.

Thanks for taking my call, I will hang up and listen to your answers off the air. 

• Plus1 4
14 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

The lack of adjusting his system to the current talent is the most disconcerting thing

I agree with this, partially. What made Frost a sought after coach is his offense. And what made his offense good was scheme. I truly thought a Frost team didn't need superior talent to win games. Certainly top 25 classes would be good enough to compete for the west. UCF used tempo, sequencing, spacing - RPO concepts that created mismatches - reads were simple for QBs. 

Frost was supposed to be the king of creating mismatches and manufacturing points. If I were dedicated I'd rewatch our games and figure this out, but either Frost has schemed dudes wide open and we don't have a QB on the roster to make the reads and make the throws OR B1G DCs have seen enough of these schemes to know how Frost creates mismatches and taken away the things that made Frost's offense so deadly. 

Here is what is going down whether you like it or not.

The biggest jump in improvement that you will see in a new HC hire is from year one to year two.  We saw a ONE game win improvement with Scotty.  Compare that to many other good HC hires and what I am about to say will be easier to digest.  Good coaches worth their weight in gold show results in year one and majorly so in year two.  

Scotty will be gone at the end of the 2021 losing season.  Moos will be gone towards the end of the season.  The top brass at NU will NOT allow this sh*t show to continue into a fifth season.  We are staring down the double barreled shot gun of four consecutive losing seasons at Nebraska football.  This should never happen, even Smiley Riley pulled off a 9 win season.   Anyone who thinks we will be beating the likes of Oklahoma, OSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern...next season, please re-watch the Illinois game.  In fact our opening game in Ireland against Illinois is looking like a certain loss.  If you think we are going to magically and dramatically improve from this season to next season, please see my second paragraph and read it again.

Laugh at this post, cry at it, I don't care.  I know bad football when I see it, and Scotty will go down as the worst HC at Nebraska since Bill Jennings.  Here is a quick list of problems in case you have not been paying attention:

• Endless penalties
  • Lack of discipline in close games
  • Turnovers galore
  • Year 3 and still don't know who our #1 QB is
  • Recruit attrition in year 3
  • Upperclassmen and Underclassmen running for the transfer portal
  • Red-zone offense nightmare
  • Recruiting players from one position and putting them into a different position (say a TE becoming a Center!)
  • Refusal to run the ball (Top RB has under 200 yards after FOUR games)
  • Can't throw the deep ball to save our lives (QBs were recruited to run, not throw, but then thrust in a throw often scheme)
  • And worst of all....Scotty throwing the players under the bus as soon as things go tits up. 

Lincoln rumor mill says that Scotty is calling/changing plays right before each snap.  This means that the QB has to watch to the sideline and look for the play, then has to see if everyone is in their proper position (which mostly they are not) even physically having to move the RB to the proper spot in some cases, then has barely enough time to get the snap off before a delay of game.  Instead of having a series of plays in a string or having plays ready for certain situations such as 2nd and long or 3rd and short, they are playing through this circus every single play.  This explains a lot.  Why most of our offensive plays look broken from the start.  Why the center is itching to snap the ball (due to time running out) when the QB is not ready.  Why in many cases WRs are not in the starting position they are supposed to be in for that play which throws off their route and the QB has to majorly adjust with blocks being no longer effective.  If Scotty is some offensive guru...then this sort of thing should NEVER happen. 

The Chip Kelly experiment has run its course.  Chip is 9-19 at UCLA (looking at a 3rd consecutive losing season).  Scotty is 10-19 at Nebraska (going to get a 3rd consecutive losing season).  At the end of 2021, both will be fired and both will never HC at the Power 5 level again.  Coordinators maybe (ala Bo), but not HC.

Now let the cry baby parade continue..."your a troll"...."this is not fair!"...."We keep changing coaches we will never get better"(forgot to read my second paragraph?).

59 minutes ago, Bledred said:

The biggest jump in improvement that you will see in a new HC hire is from year one to year two.  We saw a ONE game win improvement with Scotty.  Compare that to many other good HC hires and what I am about to say will be easier to digest.  Good coaches worth their weight in gold show results in year one and majorly so in year two.  

Scotty will be gone at the end of the 2021 losing season.  Moos will be gone towards the end of the season.  The top brass at NU will NOT allow this sh*t show to continue into a fifth season.  We are staring down the double barreled shot gun of four consecutive losing seasons at Nebraska football.  This should never happen, even Smiley Riley pulled off a 9 win season.   Anyone who thinks we will be beating the likes of Oklahoma, OSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern...next season, please re-watch the Illinois game.  In fact our opening game in Ireland against Illinois is looking like a certain loss.  If you think we are going to magically and dramatically improve from this season to next season, please see my second paragraph and read it again.

Laugh at this post, cry at it, I don't care.  I know bad football when I see it, and Scotty will go down as the worst HC at Nebraska since Bill Jennings.  Here is a quick list of problems in case you have not been paying attention:

• Endless penalties
  • Turnovers galore
  • Recruiting players from one position and putting them into a different position (say a TE becoming a Center!)
  • Can't throw the deep ball to save our lives (QBs were recruited to run, not throw, but then thrust in a throw often scheme)
  • And worst of all....Scotty throwing the players under the bus as soon as things go tits up. 

Lincoln rumor mill says that Scotty is calling/changing plays right before each snap.  This means that the QB has to watch to the sideline and look for the play, then has to see if everyone is in their proper position (which mostly they are not) even physically having to move the RB to the proper spot in some cases, then has barely enough time to get the snap off before a delay of game.  Instead of having a series of plays in a string or having plays ready for certain situations such as 2nd and long or 3rd and short, they are playing through this circus every single play.  This explains a lot.  Why most of our offensive plays look broken from the start.  Why the center is itching to snap the ball (due to time running out) when the QB is not ready.  Why in many cases WRs are not in the starting position they are supposed to be in for that play which throws off their route and the QB has to majorly adjust with blocks being no longer effective.  If Scotty is some offensive guru...then this sort of thing should NEVER happen. 

The Chip Kelly experiment has run its course.  Chip is 9-19 at UCLA (looking at a 3rd consecutive losing season).  Scotty is 10-19 at Nebraska (going to get a 3rd consecutive losing season).  At the end of 2021, both will be fired and both will never HC at the Power 5 level again.  Coordinators maybe (ala Bo), but not HC.

Now let the cry baby parade continue..."your a troll"...."this is not fair!"...."We keep changing coaches we will never get better"(forgot to read my second paragraph?).

So what your saying is you dont like scott frost.  Are we clear on that

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, admo said:

Hi, first time caller, long time listener.  Love the show.  I have a two part question regarding your powerful statement above.

During Mike Riley's 2nd season with Nebraska, the Huskers were 7-0 and ranked #7 in the country.  This was a 7 game win streak going into Camp Randall to face #11 Wisconsin on ESPN at night.  The  game was tied 17-17 after four quarters and went to overtime.  The Huskers had not lost a game so far through 7 games, but now it's 8 games.

My question is, regarding your bold comment, in those 7 games they played, (actually 8 games), how many points did the the Huskers lose by? And so you know, the did end up losing to Wisconsin by 6 in overtime.  So make sure you scribble down 6.

And my second question is (get your calculator ready), during the Mike Riley era, the Huskers went 19-19 overall in three years.  12-14 in conference play.  Not too good IMO.  And his replacement so far, HCSF is 10-20 overall in his third season, 7-17 in conference play.

19-19 vs 10-20

Which record is better if you throw away the names?  And winning percentage?  I am not interested in your own personal displeasure with Riley in comparison to your love for Frost.  These are simple questions 6th graders can answer.

Thanks for taking my call, I will hang up and listen to your answers off the air. 

I feel the answer is pretty simple here.  They were playing to honor there team mate who passed away earlier that summer in a car crash.  Mike Riley was never going to change and he has decades of coaching experience to show that.  If you take out that one fluke season then where do the numbers add up.

"So what your saying is you dont like scott frost.  Are we clear on that"

My post made it clear that Scotty is clearly a very poor HC.  It's called getting a 'lemon'.  Not a new experience for Husker fans.  If you want to twist my post and the numbers we have these past three seasons into "you don't like Frost", then I cannot help you.   

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

• Endless penalties
  • Turnovers galore

Thank you for putting a lot of time and thought into your post. Unfortunately, I will have to disagree with your entire premise and several of your points of argument.

First, Scott Frost will not be fired at any point under his current contract. He is the right guy for the job at this stage of our program despite his record. Moos & Frost have been upfront since the beginning that this overhaul of the program will take years, not months, and that is why they have been given such a long runway. NU Administration, Regents, AD and coach are all on the same wavelength and working in cohesion with one another. We haven't had that level of agreement in a long, long time and the results of this harmony will bear fruit soon. No one expected the turnaround to take this much time but no one expected to play games in front of an empty Memorial Stadium either.

Next, though some of your criticisms are warranted (redzone inefficiency, penalties, turnovers, etc.), most of the points you make do not add up to firing our coach. Transfers are the new normal in college football, Iowa has had no less than six transfers since the summer began with two of those transfers coming here. Many of the transfers and the attrition have been addition by subtraction for us. With the work ethic, motivation and lifestyle problems that were here prior to Frost's arrival, a jolt of reality was needed in order to get the right types of people to come to the school. Some of those kids turned out to be misses but that's how recruiting is, you don't really know a person until you're around them everyday and they are away from the their parents, HS coaches, etc. Some thrive away while others have problems. 

It is also surprising that our top RB has under 200 yards, yes. That said, our expected top RB has been hurt for over half the season, his backup has also been fighting injuries. I do agree that we need to utilize our runningbacks more, hopefully they can stay healthy and we can get some flow going. 

The entire offense frequently looks over to the sidelines before snaps. They had the same system at UCF, worked well there. Several other programs utilize this process and it works for them as well. Nothing surprising about the process, need to get execution of plays better obviously. 

I understand that you're frustrated, we all are. That said, we've all been fans up to this point, it is not the time to give up hope and start playing the guessing game of who should be the next coach at Nebraska. Texas and Michigan have been playing that game for several years now and they've stuck with the same coaches while only building more of the dark clouds over their programs. We had the same issue in Bo's final years and it negatively impacted the program, coaches, players and fanbase. The solution is obviously to start winning games. We are not too far away from contending to win our division so hopefully these last couple games get us some confidence and look forward to a better 2021. 

41 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

That may be true, but generally the tried and true way of helping younger qbs is to roll of the pocket, cut the field in half, simplify things. Nu isn't really doing that right now.

That is also the way to reduce chance of a successful play by half and become twice as easy to defend. Additionally, neither of our QB's have been shown to be super effective passers on the run. The pocket is a much safer place this year than it was last year, so maybe the coaches aren't insane and feel that throwing from the pocket is actually our best chance at moving the chains.

• Plus1 1