Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  That's exactly what I said.  You can tell by the part where I never said anything resembling that.

OK Bill Clinton. You said he has really gotten coached up since last year. 

Lots of us wonder- where was that development before if it happened so well in this off season? Did Coach V read a new book or figure out some new drills? What was so different this off season than the previous 2 that saw a literal regression in AMs skills?

Just now, Nebraska55fan said:

OK Bill Clinton. You said he has really gotten coached up since last year. 

Lots of us wonder- where was that development before if it happened so well in this off season? Did Coach V read a new book or figure out some new drills? What was so different this off season than the previous 2 that saw a literal regression in AMs skills?

This is false.  It's the narrative but it's not accurate.

Keep up the name-calling, though.

• Plus1 3
56 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Screens help also- which we dont have. Sometimes the QB draw can hit big. RJ is a nice blocker out of the backfield. 

One thing HCSF is pretty good at is play design. Hitting short passes in vacated areas works too. Hopefully he can dial them up at the right time.  UNFORTUNATELY- Michigan is pretty good at giving a blitz look- then backing out of at at the snap. They are a really tough out when it comes to their defense. They are also a bit random- was trying to do the - what will they do- what would I do playcalling thing- it was tough. AND they also get plenty of pressure with just 4 rushing. 

If I was the OC I would call a screen on the 1st play of the game.  Same formation as the 1st play this weekend.  They will be thinking we are going to take another shot first thing. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If I was the OC I would call a screen on the 1st play of the game.  Same formation as the 1st play this weekend.  They will be thinking we are going to take another shot first thing. 

Nice thought- makes sense. However we just havent run much in the way of screens this season so far. Its a  lot tougher play to pull off than many think. 

You would think it would work. Wisconsin tried- and was snuffed out the only time I saw them try it. Michigan is really well coached. I wasnt able to watch every snap of the Wisconsin- Michigan game- but the one I saw was unsuccessful. 

1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Nice thought- makes sense. However we just havent run much in the way of screens this season so far. Its a  lot tougher play to pull off than many think. 

You would think it would work. Wisconsin tried- and was snuffed out the only time I saw them try it. Michigan is really well coached. I wasnt able to watch every snap of the Wisconsin- Michigan game- but the one I saw was unsuccessful. 

then it will work even better.  A: they won't expect it on the 1st play B: they won't expect it because we don't run them.  Obviously when teams run them more you prepare for them and rep them.  Teams like Wisconsin are usually pretty predictable as to when they run them.  Also when you have a good O-line I think they are easier to stop.  With an o-line like ours it's hard for the defense to tell if they are just beating their man like usual or if its a screen. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

then it will work even better.  A: they won't expect it on the 1st play B: they won't expect it because we don't run them.  Obviously when teams run them more you prepare for them and rep them.  Teams like Wisconsin are usually pretty predictable as to when they run them.  Also when you have a good O-line I think they are easier to stop.  With an o-line like ours it's hard for the defense to tell if they are just beating their man like usual or if its a screen. 

I hear you. What I saw was- Michigan was really aware of the screen- got penetration then retreated on the fly to snuff out the screen. They are really- really good. 

That's funny and some real truth to what you're saying. I was OC on a team once with a horrific, tiny, terrible Oline. The only play we were consistently good at was the screen- not blocking defensive linemen was something that team had perfected and could have taught classes on. I think several ended up moving to Mexico and becoming great OLE bullfighters later in life :D 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I hear you. What I saw was- Michigan was really aware of the screen- got penetration then retreated on the fly to snuff out the screen. They are really- really good. 

That's funny and some real truth to what you're saying. I was OC on a team once with a horrific, tiny, terrible Oline. The only play we were pretty good at was the screen- not blocking defensive linemen was something that team had perfected and could have taught classes on :D 

I had the same issue while coaching but unfortunately the only time they ever decided to block well was on screen plays.  I was just like why can't you do what you normally do??

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well and this year he is people to throw the ball to.  Last year the WR's were horrible.  Good lord Kade Warner was a starter/captain. 

And, he's healthy.  Some people tend to not think about that.  Last year, when he was healthy, he threw the ball actually pretty well.  Then, when he injured his shoulder again, it went bad again.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

And, he's healthy.  Some people tend to not think about that.  Last year, when he was healthy, he threw the ball actually pretty well.  Then, when he injured his shoulder again, it went bad again.

Yeah, I mean last year he set the NU record for completion %.

I can't imagine him coming back but I sure hope he does.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

That's funny and some real truth to what you're saying. I was OC on a team once with a horrific, tiny, terrible Oline. The only play we were consistently good at was the screen- not blocking defensive linemen was something that team had perfected and could have taught classes on. I think several ended up moving to Mexico and becoming great OLE bullfighters later in life :D 

must have had some bad coaching.

• Haha 3