Interesting holding stats for NU

Just now, knapplc said:

We had the Davis twins on the D Line during the years when Nebraska opponents weren't called for holding over 21 straight league games. Those dudes are in the NFL. 

No one can tell me we didn't have the talent to put pressure on the QB, or to induce holding from an opponent. We shouldn't have to have an elite pass-rusher to get a holding call. 

Not one penalty in 21 games from 2016-2018?  Not one through five games this year? 

I remember watching Alex Davis get significantly held seemingly once per drive as he tried to rush off the edge. Darrion Daniels last year too. 

• Haha 1

Big 10 officials definitely do suck, but like it’s been mentioned, the Husker staff needs to submit every one of these to the league office and basically be a pain their a$$ until we start getting these calls.  I just don’t know if we do that.   I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t.  The little things like this are important, because there’s definitely a perception of bias.  

13 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And I know this thread is about holding calls, but we are seeing the same with False starts - obviously there was the one that went uncalled on Iowa's go ahead field coal -those mother.... 

but I think it was Northwestern when their line was jumping presnap for like a whole drive that was never called.

I've seen this across football all year. Not just Husker games and not just the Big Ten. 

I thought maybe I was seeing something that wasn't there for a bit, but then people started commenting on it on the twitter and the reddit. It's weird, and it's weird that so many teams seem to be doing it, and that it's not being called across multiple conferences.

Just a suggestion.....

Get the media team to do a video after each game and post all the opposition's holding plays that were not called.

Then label each as "378 consecutive snaps without a holding call on opposing offensive lines.", "379 consecutive snaps without a holding call on opposing offensive lines.", etc.

To make even more effective they could post the Nebraska OL penalties to, and label as "14 consecutive snaps without a holding call, then this was called."

The contrast of both the penalties called and not called along with number of snaps in between will speak for itself and clearly highlights the problem, while denying the haters any ability to claim we're whining.

• Plus1 1

Some of these non-calls/calls could literally be the difference between a win and a loss.  If the long run by Martinez last week in the fourth doesn't get called, which wasn't any worse than the photos shown above, do we wind up scoring on that drive? Or one Iowa drive is killed because a legit hold is called does the outcome change?

I hate ever being the guy that blames the refs but this is insane.  As we've had a couple of close games which could have gone our way, and now a portion of the fan base is turning up the heat on Frost, do we need to slow our roll on that rhetoric?  Especially knowing he's not only having to rebuild a burnt-down-to-the-ground program but also overcome this crap?

• Plus1 4

I think the only way anything changes would be if you could get a current or former referee to admit to something.  Pretty unlikely but it would be a story that ESPN, and other sports publications, would likely pay a nice sum of money for.  The media loves a great scandal and the general American Public would be pretty interested.  Just need to find the right disgruntled B1G referee.  

Holding is a little like hand checking in basketball. It happens. It happens every game. You can't always call every one and get it right, but it probably needs to be called and red flagged early to limit the excessiveness of it. To not call most teams both ways of a single holding call for an entirety of a game should not happen. Even rank and file Northwestern probably should be getting called for it at least once a game.

Now if Clemson is playing Citadel and it is 42-0 at the end of the end of the first, you can probably let some more things go, but all teams have some sort of holding. It just is that way. Don't let things get out of hand.

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

@HuskerInLostWagesYou know, the numbers for the year look bad enough, but I would love to see how many holding calls we've had in the last 5 years vs the Big 10 average. Shoot I think we've had 3 in the last 2 years maybe? 

I believe the guy who did the originally was going to do something like that but didn't have a time frame.

Anyone have stats on the # of holds called against NE this year? It seems to me that less penalties have been called both ways. Seems like they are letting them play more, I see lots of PI not called but it seems to be going both ways so I'm not to beat up about it. As long as the game is called the same for both teams is all I care about.