What is the future of the Republican Party?

43 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

The US is not a Democracy but a Constitutional Republic.  The former is an elegant way to say mob rule.

There is no country in the world that is a true democracy, so this reply that is used all the time by people pretending they don't understand what the person they're replying to is talking about gets really old.

When someone refers to democracy they don't ever mean "the people vote for every law."

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There is no country in the world that is a true democracy, so this reply that is used all the time by people pretending they don't understand what the person they're replying to is talking about gets really old.

When someone refers to democracy they don't ever mean "the people vote for every law."

Noted.  Good to know site members understand the difference. I wasn’t aware. I’ve seen too many forums that use terms so interchangeably it’s clear they're spouting off emotional nonsense. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

And almost without fail that nonsense is spouted off by someone who is clueless about our system of government and who are cryptically pushing for a Christo-authoritarian state (as noted by the above poster's opening salvo in the P & R forum) based on their delusional  belief that they have some esoteric insight into the inner workings of the universe even though that belief is based on the fallacy of eternalism. 

Long story short.  People like this are every bit, if not more, deluded as the of rest of us.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

This reporting is stupid and wrong. Legal action is not something that is or should ever be turned into a "popularity" contest. He either broke the law or he didn't that doesn't change regardless of what 60% of Americans think. Justice is supposed to be blind. Even reporting this way leads people to feel their voice should have an impact on the outcome of the criminal trial. - It does not, should not, and will not, and its dangerous to even hint at that being the case. The narrative the media should be putting out is - "No Karen Trumper. your OPINION does not matter. Your OPINION is not "YOUR TRUTH." The legal system is designed to seek out the truth to the best ability possible. We as Americans have agreed to abide by the established system, even if we recognize its faults and try to improve it. You are not IMPORTANT to this conversation or its outcome." 

The media needs to take a look at itself and realize crap like this only continues to divide the country and breed resentment and distrust. Fox News is its own beast and should be dismantled and destroyed. But this is a perfect example of the mainstream media feeding the fire. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
18 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This reporting is stupid and wrong. Legal action is not something that is or should ever be turned into a "popularity" contest. He either broke the law or he didn't that doesn't change regardless of what 60% of Americans think. Justice is supposed to be blind. Even reporting this way leads people to feel their voice should have an impact on the outcome of the criminal trial. - It does not, should not, and will not, and its dangerous to even hint at that being the case. The narrative the media should be putting out is - "No Karen Trumper. your OPINION does not matter. Your OPINION is not "YOUR TRUTH." The legal system is designed to seek out the truth to the best ability possible. We as Americans have agreed to abide by the established system, even if we recognize its faults and try to improve it. You are not IMPORTANT to this conversation or its outcome." 

The media needs to take a look at itself and realize crap like this only continues to divide the country and breed resentment and distrust. Fox News is its own beast and should be dismantled and destroyed. But this is a perfect example of the mainstream media feeding the fire. 

Respect your opinion but will politely disagree.  It's a political poll.  They have been around for a long long time.

• Plus1 3

24 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Respect your opinion but will politely disagree.  It's a political poll.  They have been around for a long long time.

Except politicizing the justice system leads to abuse of the system. This is what made the "lock her up." chants so wrong and frightening. The idea of using the justice system to exert political power and silence opponents is a hallmark of authoritarian rule. The American public needs to be shown and told in no uncertain terms that this is NOT political theater or abuse of power. No matter what Trump tries to claim - his pleas are just more lies from a conman and are not factual. 

Discussing this and presenting it as a "political issue" is dangerously mixing two things that should be kept separate, like church and state. It is not a good direction for the nation, or a people already so divided. "Justice is blind. This investigation would lead to this conclusion no matter who was the individual being investigated. This case shows that our justice system works and is effective at rooting out criminals wherever they may hide, and illustrates that no one is above the law in this great nation."  Done. It does not need a political poll, because it is not political, it is criminal. A political poll would ask, if Trump is convicted of his crimes, do you still think he should run. This poll asked specifically about whether people without any knowledge of the content or volume of evidence supported the decision to indict. - STUPID and DANGEROUS. 

• TBH 1
26 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Except politicizing the justice system leads to abuse of the system. This is what made the "lock her up." chants so wrong and frightening. The idea of using the justice system to exert political power and silence opponents is a hallmark of authoritarian rule. The American public needs to be shown and told in no uncertain terms that this is NOT political theater or abuse of power. No matter what Trump tries to claim - his pleas are just more lies from a conman and are not factual. 

Discussing this and presenting it as a "political issue" is dangerously mixing two things that should be kept separate, like church and state. It is not a good direction for the nation, or a people already so divided. "Justice is blind. This investigation would lead to this conclusion no matter who was the individual being investigated. This case shows that our justice system works and is effective at rooting out criminals wherever they may hide, and illustrates that no one is above the law in this great nation."  Done. It does not need a political poll, because it is not political, it is criminal. A political poll would ask, if Trump is convicted of his crimes, do you still think he should run. This poll asked specifically about whether people without any knowledge of the content or volume of evidence supported the decision to indict. - STUPID and DANGEROUS. 

There's a difference between taking a poll to see people's opinions and taking a poll to decide what should be done.  

If there is enough evidence to think a crime was committed, he needs to be indicted.  That might end up being unpopular, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Luckily, the majority of Americans understand the legal system enough to approve of the indictment.  Republicans as a group...on the other hand?  Not so much.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/2/2023 at 12:47 PM, commando said:

i wonder if that guy is afraid to go outside after it rains?

I grew up with a Jeff Gordon poster in my bedroom and wearing the t shirts. I thought the rainbow warrior paint scheme was awesome. Turns out I'm immaculated and woke. Guess I better shave my beard, stop changing my own oil, sell my muscle car, and never do home repairs again. f#&%...

• Oh Yeah! 1