The Angry Violent Left

• 1 month later...

52 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's a pretty dumb, and irresponsible comparison.... It's also a pretty f#&%ing stupid reason to lose your job because of the woke mob on the left.

I read this a couple times, trying to figure out which side of the political spectrum was agitating. Depending on your city or neighborhood, you could be dangerously hounded for being either liberal or conservative. The first half of the statement is a pretty valuable perspective. The last line forgets that people are born Jews, but choose their own political viewpoints -- which actually do reflect their values. 

How many of you know split households?  One liberal spouse and one conservative spouse. I know a few. They've always made it work. But last week one of my friends told me she was now scared of the aunts and uncles who come with being married to her husband. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I read this a couple times, trying to figure out which side of the political spectrum was agitating. Depending on your city or neighborhood, you could be dangerously hounded for being either liberal or conservative. The first half of the statement is a pretty valuable perspective. The last line forgets that people are born Jews, but choose their own political viewpoints -- which actually do reflect their values. 

How many of you know split households?  One liberal spouse and one conservative spouse. I know a few. They've always made it work. But last week one of my friends told me she was now scared of the aunts and uncles who come with being married to her husband. 

No doubt that cancel culture is a bipartisan effort, though it does seem more damaging on the public/famous/rich scale, which is the scale conservatives, and conservative views are often cancelled on. However, to your point, I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing anti-Trump views on my personal Facebook page, because of even the remote chance that it could potentially hurt my business locally....Obviously, I live in a very pro-Trump area of the country. 

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's a pretty dumb, and irresponsible comparison.... It's also a pretty f#&%ing stupid reason to lose your job because of the woke mob on the left.

She's tweeted a LOT of s#!tty stuff in the past several months. She wasn't fired for this tweet, she was fired for a body of work over a length of time.

Consequence Culture comes through in the end. She's no victim. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

No doubt that cancel culture is a bipartisan effort, though it does seem more damaging on the public/famous/rich scale, which is the scale conservatives, and conservative views are often cancelled on. However, to your point, I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing anti-Trump views on my personal Facebook page, because of even the remote chance that it could potentially hurt my business locally....Obviously, I live in a very pro-Trump area of the country. 

If a person own's a business, they are taking a huge unnecessary risk publicly choosing a politician, no matter the party.  I've always thought that was dumb.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

She's tweeted a LOT of s#!tty stuff in the past several months. She wasn't fired for this tweet, she was fired for a body of work over a length of time.

Consequence Culture comes through in the end. She's no victim. 

She was fired because the runners of the show felt pressured to fire her. That's a problem.

• Plus1 3

This week a popular restaurant in Sonoma closed down after it fired a waitress for wearing a Black Lives Matter facemask.  The waitress went public with it and the restaurant was inundated with accusations and threats, including arson. The restaurant says it had established a policy of wearing either a restaurant branded facemask, or a plain surgical mask. The waitress contends they initiated the policy solely to keep her from wearing her BLM mask at work. 

Does it work both ways? Would a restaurant face angry consequences for NOT firing a waitress wearing an All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, or Trump facemask? And because of this conundrum, wouldn't it be perfectly defensible for a restaurant or any business to ask employees not to display political statements on their clothing at work? 

I like watching a Karen get schooled as much as the next guy, but if the speed and unilateral consequences of cancel culture don't scare you a bit, they should. 

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The restaurant says it had established a policy of wearing either a restaurant branded facemask, or a plain surgical mask. The waitress contends they initiated the policy solely to keep her from wearing her BLM mask at work. 

wouldn't it be perfectly defensible for a restaurant or any business to ask employees not to display political statements on their clothing at work? 

Absolutely. Your first part is the key. 

Follow the rules, or get a different job.

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This week a popular restaurant in Sonoma closed down after it fired a waitress for wearing a Black Lives Matter facemask.  The waitress went public with it and the restaurant was inundated with accusations and threats, including arson. The restaurant says it had established a policy of wearing either a restaurant branded facemask, or a plain surgical mask. The waitress contends they initiated the policy solely to keep her from wearing her BLM mask at work. 

Does it work both ways? Would a restaurant face angry consequences for NOT firing a waitress wearing an All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, or Trump facemask? And because of this conundrum, wouldn't it be perfectly defensible for a restaurant or any business to ask employees not to display political statements on their clothing at work? 

I like watching a Karen get schooled as much as the next guy, but if the speed and unilateral consequences of cancel culture don't scare you a bit, they should. 

Yeah, this whole situation seems hugely blown out of proportion. The waitress seems to be picking a fight where no fight needs to be picked. 

Follow the dress code and don't bring your politics to work. 

Sonoma restaurant closes after backlash for not allowing server to wear BLM mask

The Girl and the Fig restaurant in Sonoma is currently closed and there is no information as to when they'll be back open.

Former server Kimi Stout left when she was told she wouldn't be allowed to wear a Black Lives Matter mask at work.

"I would have absolutely abided by the mask rules if they had a sign up that said Black Lives Matter," says Stout.

The restaurant owner on Facebook, referring to the incident and Stout's situation, said "we did not fire her, we did not force her out, she made her own decision to quit because she did not want to follow the rules."

"Most places at a winery, at a restaurant, at a hotel, at the airport, you have a uniform. You have certain things that you have to wear to be part of that organization," says Katharina Baskin of Sonoma.

Aaron Mills is part owner at nearby Sunflower Café. He says it's tough because he supports Black Lives Matter and the owners of The Girl and the Fig. He says John and his wife are good people who have publicly said they support the cause.

"If they were to choose one side or another, they are going to alienate some segment of the customer base or local community, so it puts us in a hard position," says Mills.

I just find myself rolling my eyes at conservatives complaining about cancel culture.  They have been doing it a lot for a very long time.  Finally, people are starting to do it to them and they've become the biggest snowflakes ever.

I know conservatives that refuse to go to a gay owned business, or a muslim owned business.  I know quite a few who refuse to watch NFL or NBA because players were kneeling for the national anthem.  How many patriotic conservatives will boycott the Dallas Mavericks because the owner decided not to play the national anthem before games?  My brother in law, who lives in Colorado refuses to go to Boulder for anything because it's nothing but a bunch of liberals.

This happens all the time.  Is there some situations that are concerning?  Sure.  But, one heck of a lot of people who are complaining about this just have their feelings hurt because other people find their views that they spew disgusting so people have chosen not to associate with them.  There should be push back in society for disgusting and harmful views.  That's not "cancel culture", it's the fact that others are more decent human beings.

And, yes, I can see a situation where I would fire an employee for overly expressing political views on the job and it affecting the business or their performance.  Imagine if I had a sales man who demanded that he wear either an Antifa or MAGA hat whenever he calls on a customer.  He would be gone pretty soon if he didn't stop doing it.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1