Insurrection fallout

30 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

It’s noteworthy that Chairperson Thompson made it clear that the Proud Boys weren’t at the rally, but we’re out near the Capitol while the rally was taking place —likely scouting out how they would make the breach.  Basically suggesting that a conspiracy to attack was already planned and underway, which of course, strongly supports a Seditious Conspiracy theory.   I would imagine they will eventually be able to provide evidence Trump’s team had communication with the PB beforehand.  Hence the alleged multiple GOP pardon requests.  Maybe Trump should have tried to pardon himself after all?  

Yes that it was mentioned that after they walked around the capital with that film maker in tow, they broke for lunch.  It was suspected that is when they noted were the barricades were and how they would enter.  

55 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Im gonna search for highlights of the hearings and see if anything new was presented that wasn’t already known.  

I think it’s worth the effort to find and watch it. I saw most of it. It’s not necessarily all “new” information but it was presented in a way that helped fit events into the timeline and made everything more cohesive. There was quite a bit of new video footage and some testimony that I don’t believe has been made available before. I found it interesting and much more damning of Trump’s true intentions. It was pretty much just facts and information presented in a logical order.

So, was Del Rio fined because he (wrongly) downplayed what happened on January 6th in DC, or because he (accurately) called the BLM riots out for what they are? Either way, a fine is ridiculous. 

Also, the wording from ESPN in that tweet…. “Invasion” vs. “protests”….:facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

So, was Del Rio fined because he (wrongly) downplayed what happened on January 6th in DC, or because he (accurately) called the BLM riots out for what they are? Either way, a fine is ridiculous. 

Also, the wording from ESPN in that tweet…. “Invasion” vs. “protests”….:facepalm:

There's a clear line of demarcation between the peaceful BLM protests and the riots that sometimes - but not always, followed. There's also ample evidence that some - but not all - of the violence that ensued was caused by racist right-wingers. Conflating those two is at best uneducated and stupid, and at worst blatantly racist. People from either ilk make the same mistake.

Del Rio was fined for being racist or stupid. Pick one. In an industry that relies heavily on Black employees, many of whom have been outspoken in their support of George Floyd and the ensuing peaceful protests (no one, to my knowledge, has endorsed the riots that followed), Del Rio's comment was not going to go unpunished.

Which part of "invasion" do you take umbrage with?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Somehow I don't think that's the nature of the protest.

I think he was taking exception to calling what happened at the Capital an invasion. No matter what you call it, it isn’t comparable to the George Floyd protests….thus the fine for Del Rio.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

There's a clear line of demarcation between the peaceful BLM protests and the riots that sometimes - but not always, followed. There's also ample evidence that some - but not all - of the violence that ensued was caused by racist right-wingers. Conflating those two is at best uneducated and stupid, and at worst blatantly racist. People from either ilk make the same mistake.

Del Rio was fined for being racist or stupid. Pick one. In an industry that relies heavily on Black employees, many of whom have been outspoken in their support of George Floyd and the ensuing peaceful protests (no one, to my knowledge, has endorsed the riots that followed), Del Rio's comment was not going to go unpunished.

I don’t take issue with much (if any) of the criticism around the January 6 mess, but I do take some issue with ESPN (and most every other media outlet) downplaying the very real damage caused by BLM riots. The same kind of downplaying that landed Del Rio a hefty fine. 

If it’s allegedly right-wingers causing the damage during the riots, how can Del Rio’s comments be deemed racist? Did he single out damage done by blacks? If so, I guess I missed that part of his statement.

As far as conflating the two events, I think it’s more than fair. There are a number of correlations. Unfortunately for Del Rio, he works in an organization that pretends one of the events (which of there have been many) were justified…. And for the record, I found Del Rio’s downplaying of the riots at the Capital to be incredibly stupid. It overshadowed his completely fair criticism of the BLM riots.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Totally agree...the Redskins never would have fined him!

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

That’s why I call it out, similar to those who rightfully call out Republican hyperbole.  Plus Ron’s a LP wannabe so it’s fun to call out his continued nonsense. 

I like him.  A hell of a lot of what he posts are stupid things others are saying or doing with video of it. 

if they don’t want that poetess, don’t do it.