Biden Foreign Policy

20 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It is funny sometimes when people make spelling mistakes trying to dunk on others like Jr. was.  

It’s also funny to see George not understand it would be balloon and not Balloon.  Also, he shouldn’t be capitalizing every word in his sentence if he’s doing the grammar thingy

Boy, you really had to stretch to find a distraction in this GOP s#!tshow. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Boy, you really had to stretch to find a distraction in this GOP s#!tshow. 

Hey, I’m on your side.  The balloon/Balloon/baloon/“balloon” (however we are doing it) story was much ado about nothing as far as we are all concerned here on Huskerboard.   s#!t…we got a spring game with a new coaching staff to worry about. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

I’m going to ask a silly question.

Wouldn’t it have been better to use the guns rather than a missile to bring down the balloon? Tear a few holes in the balloon so it descends more gently. Easier to retrieve intact and fewer pieces in a narrower area?

I’m guessing the answer is that guns aren’t as accurate as a heat seeking missile. But it just seems like that would’ve been worth an attempt. IDK.

33 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Wouldn’t it have been better to use the guns rather than a missile to bring down the balloon? Tear a few holes in the balloon so it descends more gently. Easier to retrieve intact and fewer pieces in a narrower area?

I’m guessing the answer is that guns aren’t as accurate as a heat seeking missile. But it just seems like that would’ve been worth an attempt. IDK.

they fired from a few thousand feet below the balloon.   not sure how accurate the cannons might have been at that distance.   the balloon was about 66,000 feet and the f-22 caps out at 60,000 

edit to add....they wanted to bring it down within the 12 miles range of our borders.   and the balloon was traveling very fast at that altitude.   they only had a few minutes to bring it down in our soveriegn waters  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, commando said:

they fired from a few thousand feet below the balloon.   not sure how accurate the cannons might have been at that distance.   the balloon was about 66,000 feet and the f-22 caps out at 60,000 

edit to add....they wanted to bring it down within the 12 miles range of our borders.   and the balloon was traveling very fast at that altitude.   they only had a few minutes to bring it down in our soveriegn waters  

Maverick would have got that F-22 to 66,000 feet!

• Oh Yeah! 5

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Pedantic I know, but a radar guided missle was used I believe.

And no the guns would not have been better, I just saw an article in my news feed about a rogue balloon that evaded Canadian CF-18s after they fired 1000 rounds at it, as well as US and British planes. The bullets pierced the balloon, but it only created a slow leak and balloon made it past Icelandic airspace.

https://www.businessinsider.com/runaway-weather-balloon-fighter-jets-history-2023-2

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

And no the guns would not have been better, I just saw an article in my news feed about a rogue balloon that evaded Canadian CF-18s after they fired 1000 rounds at it, as well as US and British planes. The bullets pierced the balloon, but it only created a slow leak and balloon made it past Icelandic airspace.

https://www.businessinsider.com/runaway-weather-balloon-fighter-jets-history-2023-2

Okay. That’s kind of what I thought the reasoning might be but I wasn’t sure. My unknowing self just figured if they could get quite a few holes in the balloon that it might start to descend fairly rapidly but not at a terminal velocity free fall.  I guess that’s why I’m not on the Pentagon payroll. :lol:

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay. That’s kind of what I thought the reasoning might be but I wasn’t sure. My unknowing self just figured if they could get quite a few holes in the balloon that it might start to descend fairly rapidly but not at a terminal velocity free fall.  I guess that’s why I’m not on the Pentagon payroll. :lol:

Hahaha...I was sort of wondering that too...

Like, would it be like a cartoon where the bullets would rip holes in it and the balloon would start going crazy in a bunch of different directions? 

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Well....that's only because Trump wasn't in control.  If he were President, he would have flown the plane himself (because he's a better pilot than anyone in the air force) and shot it down precisely so that they could capture the pilot and negotiate a few more billion dollars to be given to his son-in-law.