NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, Perlman's been gone for five years, Riley and Eichorst going on four, Pelini seven.  In terms of an administration, AD and coach in sync, on-field performance, public relations and fan expectation, how are we doing in the here and now, and what lesson from the past are we ignoring? 

Bob Devaney turned the entire program around in a single season. Ask Tom Osborne about "fan patience" during the first 20 years of his head coaching career. You may be surprised.

I want Scott Frost to have another 3 seasons guaranteed. Much less concerned about W/L this season than visible effort and emerging talent. Enough to add a little pressure on 2022. By his sixth season we will know Scott's recruiting skills, willingness to adapt and adjust, and his motivational ability. Hopefully this little Oklahoma incident will be long in the rear view mirror. But in the here and now, it doesn't represent Nebraska well and fans have every right to let the people responsible know it. 

I will assume my point was made in regards to Perlman overstepping his role as you brushed past those points. The lessons from the past were in regards to your "ironic" comment about learning from Perlman's follies of switching ADs and coaches every five or so years. By all means, fans can complain to the university until they're blue in the face if it makes them feel better. However, it was done several times in the past 20 years we have often lived in mediocrity with a revolving door of coaches during that period. Let's hope we've learned from it and stick with Frost/Moos through the rollercoaster next several years.

Since we disagree on the subject and my evidence didn't sway your belief that Perlman & Eichorst "made the right decision" or were good for the athletic department, I will not be carrying on the discussion further. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Is the rumor that frost single handedly tried to cancel the ou game? It makes more sense that he could've gone around the AD directly to the chancellor to get the game canceled or had the chancellor pressure the AD to do what Frost wants.

That's about the only option that remotely makes sense.  The chancellor isn't even going to go cancel a football game and find a replacement team without the AD.  That's the AD's job.

Personally, I think someone (Frost, Moos, Chancellor) floated the idea and everyone had input.  It was obviously decided that they would try to cancel the game.

2 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Logically, it makes me think frost probaly floated the idea to someone outside of Moos, or even a few people and one of them leaked it.

If that's what happened (and likely did) I really don't have a problem with it.  I don't have a problem with Frost talking about ideas with various people at the University and Moos shouldn't either.

I have a bigger problem with the one who leaked it 

• Fire 2
37 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I think it really depends on what "over his head" actually means.  

It can be as severe as not liking the answer and straight negotiating with other schools to as little as floating the idea with someone else in the department and seeing if their was interest. 

Logically, it makes me think frost probaly floated the idea to someone outside of Moos, or even a few people and one of them leaked it.

The whole thing is a mess, but its getting even more cringeworty that frost hasnt said anything.

I do think its impossible to believe that any head coach wouldn't have input in their schedule.  Frost knew and was one of the first few in the department to know, where, what when, and how he knew we will probaly never know for sure.

No way that happened.  A coach doesn't have the authority to sign a contract with other schools.  Other schools would be like "mmm k but where's your athletic director?"

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I will assume my point was made in regards to Perlman overstepping his role as you brushed past those points. The lessons from the past were in regards to your "ironic" comment about learning from Perlman's follies of switching ADs and coaches every five or so years. By all means, fans can complain to the university until they're blue in the face if it makes them feel better. However, it was done several times in the past 20 years we have often lived in mediocrity with a revolving door of coaches during that period. Let's hope we've learned from it and stick with Frost/Moos through the rollercoaster next several years.

Since we disagree on the subject and my evidence didn't sway your belief that Perlman & Eichorst "made the right decision" or were good for the athletic department, I will not be carrying on the discussion further. 

You know what happens when you "assume."

So if the key is patience, we should have urged Harvey Perlman to give Steve Pederson, Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini,, Shawn Eichorst and Mike Riley more time, and not judge Scott Frost and Bill Moos on standards established by the previous 60 years of University of Nebraska football? 

Do you think Harvey Perlman regretting a public reprimand of Bo Pelini is evidence that firing Bo Pelini was the wrong call by Eichorst? Or that it was more inappropriate for the Chancellor to distance the University from Pelini's go f#&% yourself comments than it was for Pelini to make them in the first place? You keep dodging my point that Bo Pelini's post-Nebraska career strongly suggests Eichorst was not wrong to fire him.

The singular lesson is that Nebraska can't assume it's in the running for top coaching prospects who have multiple options, and we will have to take calculated risks on whoever we think will be better than the last coach. As mentioned, Frost has another three years to prove himself in my book. But this Oklahoma thing really rubs me wrong. 

And do you really think this discussion is over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know what to think except for it's not a good look.  For me, having grown up with the NU/OU rivalry, I was excited for this game.  Of course, I thought we would be light years from where we are now, bit I digress.  I think what makes it worse is it a former rival, a blue blood program and an opportunity to see where we are.  Regardless of the reason, it "looks" like we are ducking a game against a top 5 opponent.  Hell, we win, this would be the biggest NU victory since 1997.  I can' remember if we have ever beaten a team ranked this high since our fall from grace.  I could be wrong.  I tred to blot out a lot of those years:)

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

There are about 6 of you stating the same things to yourselves day after day.  Doesn't it get old waking up everyday being pissed about Nebraska football?

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

For me, it's not pissed.  Just disappointing.  Growing up, watching us lose 1-2 games in a season made me angry.  I'm truly numb to it now.  Just wanting us to get to playing respectable looking football and move on from there.  And being pissed/mad/sad/disappointed/etc doesn't make one a good or bad fan.  We have tons of potential, but it hasn't met the same production.  Maybe this is the year.  I hope so.  

I'd love for Frost to succeed and take us back to being a perennial top 10 team (maybe 15).  Play for the conference more often than not and make the playoffs....

• Plus1 1