NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

Anyone see that article on the BRT app where it says moos and frost were the only ones talking about maybe canceling the OU game and that it never gained wheels. So that tells me frost never went over moos head and that the conversation was between him and frost. Now they are talking about finding a home game fir September 4th 

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Anyone see that article on the BRT app where it says moos and frost were the only ones talking about maybe canceling the OU game and that it never gained wheels. So that tells me frost never went over moos head and that the conversation was between him and frost. Now they are talking about finding a home game fir September 4th 

Sounds a little like people may have over reacted...surprise, surprise.

• Plus1 5
6 hours ago, Enhance said:

Is Sean officially reporting this, or is it more like... message board fodder and something he's not willing to publish out there for the wide world?

(Asking because 1. I don't normally follow his content and 2. I don't really know the dynamics of their message boards and if they will sometimes share more 'off the record' type stuff. Is he sharing this information in all platforms?)

I'm not calling Sean a liar, but it's a pretty big accusation to state and he presents it in a posturing sort of way that makes me wonder just how truthful it is. If he's reporting it everywhere though then there must be some serious legs to it.

Sean is usually pretty solid.  But this never really made sense.  With as good of a relationship as Frost and Moos seem to have and how Moos has always had his back, it makes no sense for Frost to go so far outside the chain of command, especially on something that is directly Moos' responsibility.

So I don't know where Callahan was getting his info.  But Moos sure makes it sound like it was completely false:

“We were just exploring different ways of addressing our financial problem, and that was one of them, and not even that we were dead set on doing it,” Moos said.  “What would an eighth home game look like financially? Not that we’re going to do it, but let’s get it on paper and see what it would do, and if it would be a big enough impact on our situation.

“It got out before it had any wheels or before it was going to have any wheels.”

Husker coach Scott Frost, Moos said, “has been in the conversations” about all of the options on the table.

“It’s been primarily him and me, and then updating upper administration,” Moos said. “The good thing is, that’s behind us now, and we know we’re playing Oklahoma.”

OWH

• Plus1 2

45 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I believe it would be a 13th game (8 home games ) 

I don't think it could be a 13th game.  I would assume they would have to cancel the Southeastern Louisiana game (or move it to a later year) and schedule something in September instead. 

The NCAA only allows you to play 12 games unless you play at Hawai'i - but that doesn't solve the issue we're trying to fix.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't think it could be a 13th game.  I would assume they would have to cancel the Southeastern Louisiana game (or move it to a later year) and schedule something in September instead. 

The NCAA only allows you to play 12 games unless you play at Hawai'i - but that doesn't solve the issue we're trying to fix.

It wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA allowed for extra home game to recoup lost income.  Problem is that it may be too early to make that call.

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

How would canceling a home game to schedule a home game help the Athletic department's revenue?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

How would canceling a home game to schedule a home game help the Athletic department's revenue?

I don't think this move is about increasing revenue.  That was part (most?) of the reason for considering cancelling the Oklahoma game.  Moving this game is mostly about getting another early home game (we currently only have one in September) to be able to help with recruiting.  Much better to get guys to campus in early September than in mid-November.  There was originally a Week 1 home game but it was moved when the Illinois game was supposed to be in Ireland.  Now that it's not they'd rather go back to how the original schedule was set up.

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think this move is about increasing revenue.  That was part (most?) of the reason for considering cancelling the Oklahoma game.  Moving this game is mostly about getting another early home game (we currently only have one in September) to be able to help with recruiting.  Much better to get guys to campus in early September than in mid-November.  There was originally a Week 1 home game but it was moved when the Illinois game was supposed to be in Ireland.  Now that it's not they'd rather go back to how the original schedule was set up.

OK, that makes sense.  It's a little confusing that there are really two totally separate issues going on here.  

1). Moos had discussions about canceling the OU game so they could have 8 home games to increase revenue.

2). Right after that, they discuss scheduling a home game the week of September 4th because they want another early season home non-con game.

It can look like the two issues are tied together, but maybe they aren't.

I was actually liking the idea of having an easier non-con game late in the year.  SEC programs do that and it has benefited them.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

OK, that makes sense.  It's a little confusing that there are really two totally separate issues going on here.  

1). Moos had discussions about canceling the OU game so they could have 8 home games to increase revenue.

2). Right after that, they discuss scheduling a home game the week of September 4th because they want another early season home non-con game.

It can look like the two issues are tied together, but maybe they aren't.

I was actually liking the idea of having an easier non-con game late in the year.  SEC programs do that and it has benefited them.

I think that's part of why there was the discussion about the Oklahoma game - it would have increased revenue and given the extra home game, especially an early one.  That was the only game that could be changed to increase revenue.  After they moved on from that, the increased revenue was off the table but the early home game was still a possibility.  So they are kind of related but not the same thing.

12 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Sounds a little like people may have over reacted...surprise, surprise.

You know...if this was all really just overreaction and misunderstanding...it makes the AD's response that much more confusing. Let's say it really was much ado about nothing, it was still a very damaging rumor that the AD was aware of and did not get in front of.

If Moos/Frost had put out a statement that someone had mistakenly reported off the wall ideas that had been tossed about in a brainstorming session, but they were never seriously considering cancelling the OU game, I would have been willing to accept that answer, and a lot of other folks would have as well. However, the rumor festered all day long, and when the AD finally did release a tepid statement, it lent credibility to the original report. And we haven't heard anything else since, including no info from Frost at all. Now we are hearing rumors that Frost, Moos, and the department are not on the same page. Everything about this makes NU look bad.

And it seems that when we see this sort of discord (even if it is a rumor) between coaches and ADs, it ends badly 100% of the time. And problems at the top trickle down. 

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was originally liking this as well.  However, for a team trying to learn how to win, an easier early season game is probably a good idea.  Moving SE Louisiana would also create a bye week to prepare for Wisconsin after having to play Ohio State- also not a bad idea.    

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, lo country said:

It'll be thrown up at every opposing teams recruiting trips to players being courted by NU.  "I know the schedule says you're playing Notre Dame, but nothing is in stone with those guys".  "Do you want a coach who isn't afraid to go toe to toe with the big boys or play for the guy who wanted to play Old Dominion"....

No way this goes away.  Possibly in the media, but it will be used against us in recruiting so long as Moos and Frost are here.

Opposing fans and the media will throw this in our faces because it's embarrassing and that's what opposing fans and media do. That's annoying but it was a stupid move, so what are you going to do it's probably deserved.

But I would be shocked if this had any lasting or significant effect on recruiting or the perception of the athletic department as a whole. Recruits are not going to give a damn about this if we are winning games and showing we can develop players. Other athletic departments are not going to turn down big paydays to schedule nonconference games with us. And our coaches can just as easily point out that, outside of Wisconsin, no one else in the West is even attempting to schedule hard or play marquee non-con games in the first place. Iowa/Minnesota/Purdue/Illinois can get their jokes off or tell recruits whatever they want, but they don't have any tough nonconference games to "bail" on because they don't schedule any in the first place. People are overreacting to this.

• Plus1 6