Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

The Nebraska job is maybe more desirable than ever.  Expectations are far lower than any other point since the 1950s.

I tend to agree with this. Sad but very true. At this point, I'd be ecstatic with 6-6/7-5 and a bowl invite. Ask me this 25 years ago and I'm on the "Fire Tom Osborne" train.

4 minutes ago, FTW said:

I tend to agree with this. Sad but very true. At this point, I'd be ecstatic with 6-6/7-5 and a bowl invite. Ask me this 25 years ago and I'm on the "Fire Tom Osborne" train.

TO going 6-6 in 1996 would have taken some sort of special magic to accomplish. 

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The Nebraska job is maybe more desirable than ever.  Expectations are far lower than any other point since the 1950s.

A massive paycheck with basically no expectations is a dream situation to a lot of coaches.

You must be part of a totally different fan base than I am.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Nebraska's job is certainly desirable, but it's not a tier one destination job and I don't think it has been for quite some time. Alabama, Texas, USC, etc., have been the more elite college football jobs for decades.

However, if you take into account potential salary, resources, recruiting potential, fan support, it's still a top 25 job.The fact that Nebraska hasn't been able to perform at a top 25 level is a reflection of coaching, culture and available talent more than anything else, but that doesn't mean the job itself is undesirable.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I mean we fired Riley for going .500....

The same Riley who inherited a program consistently winning the majority of their games and had a nothing out of the ordinary happen other than the weird stuff he created.  Hip Hip Hooray

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, Frost should have been fired after last season in your mind.

For me, the question is ... Should have Frost been given a two year extension by Moos?

My answer is no.  I would have used it to reduce pay and put final conditions/expectations over a short interim of 1-2 years.  That "circle the wagon" thing that he did there, in my opinion, did not help the short term problems.  Perhaps long term, we may look back and see that as a "saving grace", that is, if Scott really turns the program around.  Still, I'm of the belief that 5 years was/is more than enough for any coach to prove if he's got the mojo.

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For me, the question is ... Should have Frost been given a two year extension by Moos?

My answer is no.  I would have used it to reduce pay and put final conditions/expectations over a short interim of 1-2 years.  That "circle the wagon" thing that he did there, in my opinion, did not help the short term problems.  Perhaps long term, we may look back and see that as a "saving grace", that is, if Scott really turns the program around.  Still, I'm of the belief that 5 years was/is more than enough for any coach to prove if he's got the mojo.

The problem with doing that is it sends recruits a negative message.  Put a coach on notice with a shortened contract or reduced pay and recruiting suffers almost immediately because the staffs longevity is seriously in question.  In todays transfer portal world, that would basically seal a coaches fate imo.  

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Exactly, 5 years on a contract is plenty. Not sure why we needed 7 on Frost. Either he turns it around or he doesnt. Lets just all hope we make a bowl this year. Otherwise I would imagine recruting tanks...like really tanks. 

Just now, Hilltop said:

The problem with doing that is it sends recruits a negative message.  Put a coach on notice with a shortened contract or reduced pay and recruiting suffers almost immediately because the staffs longevity is seriously in question.  In todays transfer portal world, that would basically seal a coaches fate imo.  

isnt 5 years enough though? 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, KC Sker said:

"Back in the mid-90s when my daughter was going to college at Iowa State, I secretly had someone in mind who I wanted her to marry. I thought the man would be a perfect fit for her. The man had great integrity, honesty, character and intelligence. He was someone who had a great work ethic. He was a man of faith and was loved and respected by the man himself, Tom Osborne. And as an extra bonus, the guy was good looking. The man was the perfect package.

So, who was this "perfect" man, you ask?

Trev Alberts."

sounds like quite the man crush 

Yep -  I saw that too - had to look beyond the man crush part. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, Frost should have been fired after last season in your mind.

No.  My armchair AD policy is you give a coach 5 years, then make an evaluation. 

I made an exception with Riley though because it was already a foregone conclusion he was on the way out the door (as we all know the armchair AD job is by committee) and Frost's stock was growing rapidly.