Besides a win...

-I want to see wrapping up and swarming to the ball, then I want to see home run hits - not targeting/launching. 

-I want pancakes on run blocking and a clean AM in the passing game.

-No brain farts. Know your assignment, know your role and don’t try to do someone else’s job before completing yours. 

If these aspects play out, then it’s my belief all the “fun” things we want to see will occur. Defensive TDs, RBs streaking the sideline for 60 and a score, Betts slipping coverage for a TD over the top, and then let’s see some sacks - please throw the bones. 

1.  Somebody brings tacos to the watch party.

2.  Nobody brings up politics at the watch party.

3.  The watch party goes long into the night celebrating the big win with talk of a great season and a lot of repeating of  "we're back!"

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Only 1 turnover

Offensive line- consistent push- 2 or less sacks of Martinez. Average of 6 ypc rushing

Average 40 yards net punting

Consistent solid tackling

No major snafus on Special Teams

2 touchbacks when kicking off

Consistent defensive pressure

Illinois with less than 35% 3rd down conversions

Rush for over 220 yards with one RB over 100 yards

Only 1 bad snap by Jurgens

Less than 60 yards in penalties

No major snafus in using the clock

Efficient Red Zone scoring- 80% TDs

3 receivers with over 60 yards each

Sound fundamental football tomorrow...few if any penalties, zero turnovers, good blocking at the point of attack, and assignment sound defense. 

Finally, no miscues on special teams this year.  Who could forget the Illini punter walking for a first down last year in Lincoln on a 4th and long.  

Win or lose, these are the elements I am looking for if we are indeed making progress.  For those who remain critical of those of us questioning this current coaching staff, evaluate those elements, rather than the score, and ask yourself if we are on the right track.  If I see tomorrow what I have seen for the past 3 years, it is hard for me to believe that this year will turn out any different.

1. Clean offensive game plan.

2. Stout run defense without run blitzes

3. No penalties, fumbles, or bad snaps on the first drive of the game.

If we can do #3 along with the first two, we've got a solid chance in every game we play this season.  How many of us have watched a fumble or dumb penalty on the first drive and thought we've already lost this game?  Discipline is such a predictor of success that it's impossible to think anything other than "this is over" when they do some dumb s#!t on the first drive of the game.