What in the heck is wrong with our offense?

48 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Even Frost said, “I thought we ran hard — still want to get the run game established a little earlier and a little better,” Frost said. “We need our base run plays to get us 5 or 6 (yards) when they're getting us 2 and get us 11 when they're getting to 6. And I think that's a team effort."

Preface: I'm normally not big on dissecting what coaches say in pressers. The pressers don't really reveal any information we can't see when we just watch the games.

But this is the kind of stuff I've been trying to say about Scott. He has to run plays that his players are actually good at executing. He cites "team effort," but maybe he just doesn't have the right RB and linemen to execute zone hand offs that allow our backs to average 5.5 yards per carry?

Look at our YPC stats by our backs against Illinois. Then look at even the bad hand off running play against Fordham in the first quarter.

IMO he just needs to be able to adjust quicker in-game when what he wants to do clearly isn't working. Pretty much ever team we play is going to stack the box and then dare Martinez to throw - so figure out a way to work the ball outside and punish that.

You're not going to punish it by just smashing one of these backs into a big mixing bowl of bodies.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Preface: I'm normally not big on dissecting what coaches say in pressers. The pressers don't really reveal any information we can't see when we just watch the games.

But this is the kind of stuff I've been trying to say about Scott. He has to run plays that his players are actually good at executing. He cites "team effort," but maybe he just doesn't have the right RB and linemen to execute zone hand offs that allow our backs to average 5.5 yards per carry?

Look at our YPC stats by our backs against Illinois. Then look at even the bad hand off running play against Fordham in the first quarter.

IMO he just needs to be able to adjust quicker in-game when what he wants to do clearly isn't working. Pretty much ever team we play is going to stack the box and then dare Martinez to throw - so figure out a way to work the ball outside and punish that.

You're not going to punish it by just smashing one of these backs into a big mixing bowl of bodies.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.  It's not a strong point for Scott.  It's actually a bit bewildering when he says something like, "well, they did this so we couldn't use 50% of our stuff anymore".  He seems so limited in what he believes he can do or what he has planned for.  Yet, he came into the league fully expecting everyone to have to change their game plans against him.  Now, an opposing coach can make a change and it seems to equate to Scott losing massive amounts of his plan and he has no answer.  Surely, surely ... we have a coach that can coach and scheme around others "changes" without being so impotent.  

Sadly, I think Scott is lacking and doesn't get what you state ... and if anything, the "team effort" comments shows he doesn't get it [as I currently see it].

Opponents will be expecting us to smash downhill with handoffs on our first couple of series...roll Adrian out on RPOs and spread the field out wide from the first drive of the game.

People always say "run to setup the pass" but there's no reason that it can't be the other way around.

I hate it when it's 3rd & 6 on our first series of the game because our line couldn't get push and then we're asking Adrian to stand in the pocket to convert a first down on the first drive of the game.

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why in the world would he run inside of Allen?  

This is a veer, yes Ervin should be hitting the B gap, & he should be hitting it hard.  He doesn't, it looks like he starts to cut backside, then bounce outside, before remembering he should be hitting that up inside.   Allen's block is out there for Martinez in the event of a keep.  Doesn't mean Ervin couldn't bounce this once he has it, but he likes to bounce everything, & I'm guessing they are in his ear about getting upfield.

I don't think this is the right question however.  Who's the unblocked defender they are making the read off???   The defender Ervin runs smack into???

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

It's why I want to see this team against OU.  I saw it against IL.  I wasn't impressed.  If you can can take 52 points against Fordham without a grain of salt ... okay.  I just chose to pass on the Fordham game.  There are really no "measurements" I can make from that ... other than we averaged something like 2.78 yards per carry?

Even Frost said, “I thought we ran hard — still want to get the run game established a little earlier and a little better,” Frost said. “We need our base run plays to get us 5 or 6 (yards) when they're getting us 2 and get us 11 when they're getting to 6. And I think that's a team effort."

I'll be curious to see how many "studs" we have on the OL come the OU game.  It will be fun to watch.  I think we will be humbled.  I hope we are not humiliated ... but if it is necessary ... so be it.

On 1620, Damon said one of the issues with the o-line was (paraphrasing), their technique of allowing the defenders to get in there body instead of just trying to push the defenders down field. Tend to agree.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

I resurrected this thread because it was the most appropriate to discussion on our offense.

We have played 10 games and many other teams have still only played 9, and this link shows team rushing yards per game. We're 50th.

Now we could move up the ladder in the next two games but I doubt it'll be by much. Compare this to the last three years under Frost:

-2020: 28th

-2019: 28th

-2018: 27th

We could have made a bowl this year if we had somehow gotten back to where we had been with rushing. I'm really disappointed in how Johnson & Yant seem to have been underutilized down the back half of the season.

I have no idea how we managed to lose the Illinois & Minnesota games this season.

• Plus1 1

I think this article addresses some of the issues on O.   Just no consistency in the play calling and how we utilize players.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/dave-feit-another-moral-victory-and-the-progress-question-nebraska-ohio-state-football

Nebraska's offense is a boom or bust. The typical Husker offensive drive tends to go one of three ways:

1. Nebraska scores on a big play, or uses a big play to get into the red zone.
  2. NU gets a first down or two before a penalty or sack kills the drive.
  3. Nebraska goes three and out, with at least one really odd play call.

Nebraska scored 17 points Saturday. The two touchdown drives were a combined 150 yards on 7 plays. The remaining 58 plays generated three points and two missed field goals.

Once upon a time, I thought we had put the "identity" discussion to bed, but like a zombie it rises again and again as Frost and offensive coordinator Matt Lubick seemingly pick plays at random hoping something will work.

Frost should have gone for it instead of trying a field goal. Less than 10 minutes to go in the game, and Nebraska has 4th and 4 from the OSU 13, trailing by six points. Nebraska elected to try a 31-yard field goal, and missed.

Yes, I know I criticized Frost for not trying a field goal in the Michigan game, but the situations are different. Against Michigan, the decision happened on NU's first drive, with the Huskers' bowl hopes very much alive. Against Ohio State, it was almost halfway through the fourth quarter, trailing by six, and hope for a winning season was circling the drain.

For a coach who talks often about being close, wanting to get over the hump, and needing a break, Frost tends to get overly cautious in big moments. At this point, what is there to lose by taking a shot?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

The crux of the issue with the offense is that the assistant/position coaches are not good coaches, and have done a terrible job of teaching and developing players.  The lone outlier is Sean Beckton with the Tight Ends.

Verduzco - I thought he was a good QB coach from what we were sold, but between his talent identification and poor development of the QB's, he's shown to be a very poor coach

Held - in another thread I went deep in on Held.  He doesn't know how to develop kids so they get better.  His strategy is to try and over-recruit the current players and just throw guys onto the field with no reasoning.

Austin - Rob Zatechka described him as an "NFL-style" offensive line coach.  In my mind, that means he is not good at teaching technique and developing players.  Zatechka also gave a tidbit on how Jurgens' snapping issues were fixed.  Frost had to bring in former teammates Matt Vrzal and Matt Hoskinson to help out Jurgens.  It took them about 5 minutes to diagnose and recommend a fix, and the snapping issues have been fixed for the most part.  The troubling part is that Frost had to go outside his coaching staff and reach out to guys he played with 25 years ago to help fix the issue.

With a poor coaching staff, it's not surprising that the offense has struggled so much, especially with consistency.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think this article addresses some of the issues on O.   Just no consistency in the play calling and how we utilize players.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/dave-feit-another-moral-victory-and-the-progress-question-nebraska-ohio-state-football

Hindsight is 20/20.  The FG attempt was pretty much centered, and only 31 yards.  I think it would have gave momentum, cutting it to 23-20. And would have put points on the board after a turnover.

However, the problem I had was the series leading to the kick.  You just got 6 yards on 2 running plays.  Immediately I thought they needed to run 2 more times for 4 yards.  Instead, 3rd down was a floating pass to Falk that sailed.  Which was awful play call, and an awful pass.

I just felt the Huskers had good momentum on the ground, esp with 2AM as a wildcat. 

• Plus1 2

Doesn't transition well to the red zone IMO. It's built around chunk plays where smaller chunks are needing to be incorporated in. Not enough effective, reliable running. The tight ends aren't utilized enough. Then you throw in a dysfunctional kicking game and special teams play...Field position is frequently an issue. It'd be nice if we had a better return threat. Coupled with the line play, the scheme also exposes the quarterbacks.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The crux of the issue with the offense is that the assistant/position coaches are not good coaches, and have done a terrible job of teaching and developing players.  The lone outlier is Sean Beckton with the Tight Ends.

Verduzco - I thought he was a good QB coach from what we were sold, but between his talent identification and poor development of the QB's, he's shown to be a very poor coach

Held - in another thread I went deep in on Held.  He doesn't know how to develop kids so they get better.  His strategy is to try and over-recruit the current players and just throw guys onto the field with no reasoning.

Austin - Rob Zatechka described him as an "NFL-style" offensive line coach.  In my mind, that means he is not good at teaching technique and developing players.  Zatechka also gave a tidbit on how Jurgens' snapping issues were fixed.  Frost had to bring in former teammates Matt Vrzal and Matt Hoskinson to help out Jurgens.  It took them about 5 minutes to diagnose and recommend a fix, and the snapping issues have been fixed for the most part.  The troubling part is that Frost had to go outside his coaching staff and reach out to guys he played with 25 years ago to help fix the issue.

With a poor coaching staff, it's not surprising that the offense has struggled so much, especially with consistency.

The bolded is absolutely pitiful and inexcusable. Every single system in football starts and ends with the O line-- get this fixed in the offseason (the talent is there) and I think we see a completely different offense next year, regardless who our QB is

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I honestly don't think it's an issue Austin needed help to address a specialty position.  No coach knows everything about the game or his position group.  But, the very big problem is that it took Frost to step in and address the issue.