What were the bright spots yesterday?

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The bright spot? We didn’t get fooled in to a false sense of how good this team might be. Most of us expected to be 3-0 going into Norman. That would've surely led to some unrealistic hopes and expectations.  Well, that bandaid got ripped off right out of the chute. Now only the hopeless romantics will entertain visions of this team being anything other than the doormat it is destined to be.

Sorry, most positive spin I could come up with.

Exactly...after the 1st half I knew all I needed to know about the likely outcome of this season...best to not get peoples hopes up with lipstick on a pig wins

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

One nitpicky aspect is that he leaves his assignment to make a play instead of doing his job and allowing someone else to make the play. Huard highlighted that in the game, he tried knifing into the backfield and missed the RB who bounced outside, when he should have stayed on the man he took on to force the RB to cut up field into the flow of defense. 

He did that in the Iowa game last year on a 3rd and long where their QB was scrambling outside the pocket and left the TE who ends up wide open for a dump off and first down. 

I wouldn’t trade him for anything else though, I like what he brings and believe he’ll have a great career. 

I was screaming at the tv at that point.  The lack of football knowledge some of these kids have is absurd.  He set the guy up so he could duck inside and all he did was get pinned inside.  Make your fake inside and get the rb as he tries to go outside.  Pretty sure as the last man on the line of scrimmage you have contain.  I thought he was going to make the play and he just took himself right out of it.  I thought it was Cam but might have been one of the safeties did the same thing on the other side.  went inside allowing the RB to bounce outside for a good gain.  

14 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Thy only had 5 penalties.  and two of them came on the same play.  If I'm remembering correctly they had ZERO false starts.  which is pretty big because I feel like they averaged 2 of those a game the last 3 years. 

I said it before its not about the number of penalties called, but when the refs choose to call them... the bs roughing/ unsportsmanlike calls, and the pick play were both called specifically to stop Nebraska's momentum.

Every review but one went against us as well. Messed up down and distance by the refs and time clock almost costing us a first half time out as well... also another team gets away without getting called once for holding against Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

The bright spot for me was seeing a Head Coach in a post-game press conference demonstrating the sort of humility that should have existed from Day 1.  Reality has finally overrun hubris.

He all but admitted that he is out of answers in how to address that which is plaguing this team.  Without a doubt, he will grow professionally from this experience.  I just happen to believe that we will not be the beneficiaries of that growth.

The defense held up well in the heat in the 4th quarter after dealing with being put in bad positions by the offense and special teams. 

Honestly, we looked like the better team in the 4th quarter; just ran out of time, bonehead mistakes and all.

The fact that we were down 30-9, and still had a chance (albeit small) to tie it up at the end is a testament to their willingness to fight.

Also, not to make excuses, but we're still a very young team. Last season with covid skewed things, but we have a lot of sophomores and a few freshmen out there. Martinez is a veteran (even has another year?), but most everyone else, at least on offense, seems pretty young and inexperienced. Lots of guys seeing their first action in the B1G is concerning, but they mostly held their own, even guys like Reimer and Heinrich

We got a lot of kids I think that will make a difference in the coming years: Fidone (remember that recuiting win?), Neville, any of the backs, Manning, Betts, Morrison, Brown, Farmer, Joseph, Ho'ohuli, Pola-Gates, Gunnerson, Kpai, Nelson, Hutmacher, Hardy, Robinson, etc

I don't know. I see better days ahead. Just hope Frost and co. can pull their collective heads out.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

The defense held up well in the heat in the 4th quarter after dealing with being put in bad positions by the offense and special teams. 

Honestly, we looked like the better team in the 4th quarter; just ran out of time, bonehead mistakes and all.

The fact that we were down 30-9, and still had a chance (albeit small) to tie it up at the end is a testament to their willingness to fight.

Also, not to make excuses, but we're still a very young team. Last season with covid skewed things, but we have a lot of sophomores and a few freshmen out there. Martinez is a veteran (even has another year?), but most everyone else, at least on offense, seems pretty young and inexperienced. Lots of guys seeing their first action in the B1G is concerning, but they mostly held their own, even guys like Reimer and Heinrich

We got a lot of kids I think that will make a difference in the coming years: Fidone (remember that recuiting win?), Neville, any of the backs, Manning, Betts, Morrison, Brown, Farmer, Joseph, Ho'ohuli, Pola-Gates, Gunnerson, Kpai, Nelson, Hutmacher, Hardy, Robinson, etc

I don't know. I see better days ahead. Just hope Frost and co. can pull their collective heads out.

Of course, the roster post.  All of our recruiting wins will translate into actual ones.  Talent is important, but make no mistake, coaching matters.  This might explain why a Senior Pre-Season All Conference corner fielded a punt at the 1/2 yard line.  Talented, yes, but well-instructed, no.

The 1958 Packers were 1-10-1 with 6 Hall of Fame players on the roster.  Not to certain those 6 would be in the HOF without Vince Lombardi's arrival in 1959.  Coach Frost is not Vince Lombardi.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Of course, the roster post.  All of our recruiting wins will translate into actual ones.  Talent is important, but make no mistake, coaching matters.  This might explain why a Senior Pre-Season All Conference corner fielded a punt at the 1/2 yard line.  Talented, yes, but well-instructed, no.

The 1958 Packers were 1-10-1 with 6 Hall of Fame players on the roster.  Not to certain those 6 would be in the HOF without Vince Lombardi's arrival in 1959.  Coach Frost is not Vince Lombardi.

Hey, I was just trying to find any kind of bright spot. I know I'm digging a lot, but hopefully I'm right about those guys. Bill Walsh had some bad seasons before turning the 9ers around, hopefully Frost will follow that schedule? 

Just now, Jeremy said:

Hey, I was just trying to find any kind of bright spot. I know I'm digging a lot, but hopefully I'm right about those guys. Bill Walsh had some bad seasons before turning the 9ers around, hopefully Frost will follow that schedule? 

I truly get your enthusiasm and a desire to see success.  But when you are squinting to find progress, it isn't really there.  

Candidly, I was a big proponent of this hire nearly 4 years ago.  Everything about it looked right; hot head coaching commodity, a favorite son returning home, lineage to coaches like Parcells and Osborne, and experience as an Offensive Coordinator at perennial power Oregon. 

That said, things for me changed in year 2 when I witnessed the same in-game, self-destructive play (penalties, turnovers, and poor execution).  The game in Boulder was the clincher as I witnessed a double-digit lead evaporate against a 1st Year Head Coach, Mel Tucker, and a CU team that ended the season with 5 wins.  First year coach with a sub-500 team beating the Huskers, does this sound familiar?

I wish him well, but this current situation is not going to work.