Special Teams- Were Worse When YOu Go Into More Detail

Any successful coach will tell you that special teams are the difference between winning and losing. When you can’t punt, can’t score a point after, can’t decide when to fair catch the ball or advance it, don’t know it is a horrible decision to field the ball at the one yard line, then you do not have special teams. What we have is a disaster team that you have to hold your breath they don’t do something stupid that costs you the game every time the opponent punts or you have to punt. We used to have some of the best kickers and punters in the country…when did we stop recruiting the best? Frost has not invested a second of his time to address special teams issues or if he did then he has failed miserably. We need a dedicated special teams coach who knows what they are doing. For four years I have been saying our special teams are atrocious and the media pointed that out on many occasions yet Frost and his staff believe that this issue will resolve itself by talking to the players. At this point, bring any husker fan and they probably will do a better job than our unspecial teams coach. Enough is enough. Talk is cheap and it is time for some action. Yesterday’s $hit show was embarrassing. When was the last time we missed two points after? When was the last time our special teams did anything positive to win us a game? Frost can’t keep ignoring this problem and hoping God will fix it for him.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Cam also botched the punt against Iowa last year. He is not a trusted PR man

At this point I think we would be better off if they could just find somebody to make smart decisions and hang onto the ball. Stop fielding punts while backpedaling inside the 10 yard line. I wonder if Santino Panico has any eligibility left.

3 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

More signs of poor coaching. 

On defense  THREE TIMES- dlineman come sprinting off the field at the last second because we have 12 players on the field. One time- he didnt get off. Once was AFTER A MEDIA TIMEOUT. How in Gods green earth do you have 12 players lined up after a timeout and barely make it off the field?

My goodness, at times this looks like an 8 year old all rookie pee wee team in game one with coaches on the field. 

Lol..in regards to pee wee comment...my brother and I were saying the same thing last night...they just look disorganized, overwhelmed and weak mentality 

Last season, Frost and the players decided that going to a bowl game and having extra practices was not important. This team needs all the practices they can muster. They look like this is the first time they took the field as one team. No wonder we had another mass exodus this summer. May be those players knew this was coming. 

How does a PK regress so much? Culp was good last year. Can’t remember why he was demoted from a starter at LSU, but he has been at least serviceable(or better) since high school.

I get the impression that there is much crap bubbling under the surface of the program.  

4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

More signs of poor coaching. 

On defense  THREE TIMES- dlineman come sprinting off the field at the last second because we have 12 players on the field. One time- he didnt get off. Once was AFTER A MEDIA TIMEOUT. How in Gods green earth do you have 12 players lined up after a timeout and barely make it off the field?

My goodness, at times this looks like an 8 year old all rookie pee wee team in game one with coaches on the field. 

I’m still trying to explain taking a TO to start the 2nd half clear back from the Colorado game. Not a lot has changed. 

because it was a call on special teams I'll ask the question here.  On the punt that lead to the safety:  If CTB's knee was down on the goal line and the ball was outside of the endzone that makes it not a safety.  Too me it looked like the ball was outside the endzone when his knee was down.  It doesn't matter if he threw the ball or not because he was down.  The ref even made the call that his knee was down but then referenced CTB throwing the ball forward resulting in a safety.  Did they change the rules about when you are down?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

because it was a call on special teams I'll ask the question here.  On the punt that lead to the safety:  If CTB's knee was down on the goal line and the ball was outside of the endzone that makes it not a safety.  Too me it looked like the ball was outside the endzone when his knee was down.  It doesn't matter if he threw the ball or not because he was down.  The ref even made the call that his knee was down but then referenced CTB throwing the ball forward resulting in a safety.  Did they change the rules about when you are down?

The refs may have awarded Illinois a safety just based on stupidity. Maybe they thought anyone bothering to field a punt on the goal line- then getting wrapped up in the endzone- then lateraling it like a 9 year old boy playing kill the man with the ball- should be worth penalizing Nebraska 2 points for. Because it came from a team captain it was worth 4 points- but unfortunately there are no 4 point plays in college football. As a fan of well played football, I can definitely see their side on this one. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The refs may have awarded Illinois a safety just based on stupidity. Maybe they thought anyone bothering to field a punt on the goal line- then getting wrapped up in the endzone- then lateraling it like a 9 year old boy playing kill the man with the ball- should be worth penalizing Nebraska 2 points for. Because it came from a team captain it was worth 4 points- but unfortunately there are no 4 point plays in college football. As a fan of well played football, I can definitely see their side on this one. 

Stupid play or not I'm also a fan of getting calls correct.  

• Plus1 3

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Stupid play or not I'm also a fan of getting calls correct.  

As a fan of well coached football- then the rule should be changed to make that play worth at LEAST 4 points. 

Having 12 guys on the field should be worth a point- after a timeout worth 2 points. :B) And the entire coaching staff be required to run a lap or be spanked with a large paddle. 

16 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

He lined up at the 1 yard line. Most guys would have lined up at the 10 or maybe the 5. The standard operating procedure is you NEVER back up, if its over your head, you let it go, expecting the ball to end up in the endzone for a touchback. 

Agreed.

And I seem to recall us catching several punts inside the 10 last year as well. I don't think this is a dramatic overreaction: I really think if you crunched the stats that we'd statistically just be better off putting Pheldarius Payne back there as the "returner" to just smash one guy per punt in face as he's trying to down the punt and then just not even attempt to field it at all than to do whatever TF we're trying to do right now.

I can't stand watching this team when stuff like this persists.

I looked up last year's punting stats (yeah, I know it was a weird year, but an average is an average).

In 2020, the #1 punter in the country averaged 48 yards per punt.

Przystup averaged 41.3. 

Now IMAGINE that to get that AVERAGE, Przystup was kicking half of his punts 48 yards. That means his weaker punts would have averaged 34.6 yards.

Against Illinois, Cerni's AVERAGE was 34.4

He had a long of 46, which means his other 4 punts averaged 31.5

How is it he won the starting job over Przystup ?

16 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I looked up last year's punting stats (yeah, I know it was a weird year, but an average is an average).

In 2020, the #1 punter in the country averaged 48 yards per punt.

Przystup averaged 41.3. 

Now IMAGINE that to get that AVERAGE, Przystup was kicking half of his punts 48 yards. That means his weaker punts would have averaged 34.6 yards.

Against Illinois, Cerni's AVERAGE was 34.4

He had a long of 46, which means his other 4 punts averaged 31.5

How is it he won the starting job over Przystup ?

Special teams with this team is a mystery. Scott says they are going to be emphasized and fixed. Yet the game was the usual coyote- roadrunner, keystone cops routine with special teams. When you think things couldnt get worse- its like watching a Twilight Zone episode. 

So glad we have a QB coach making $400K and no special teams coach. I mean who really is calling special teams- NO ONE checks the depths of the deep guys on kickoffs and punt returns. Is it the analyst who cant talk to anyone? The gal that answers the phone in the weight room? Who is it?

On 8/29/2021 at 5:49 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

Not sure if Frost actually thinks Special Teams is important- has invested more time and the coaching is awful. Or he continues to think he can win with Offense and scheme and is paying lip service  to Special Teams. Either way its not working. Was at the game- may have picked up a couple of things the camera didnt show. 

CTB BARELY made it out for the punt return- he SLOWLY jogged in VERY late. No sense of urgency, doing the Im important trot. 

He lined up at the GOAL LINE right when the ball was kicked. Had he RAN he might have been able to line up correctly. 

He lined up at the 1 yard line. Most guys would have lined up at the 10 or maybe the 5. The standard operating procedure is you NEVER back up, if its over your head, you let it go, expecting the ball to end up in the endzone for a touchback. 

CTB backed up from the 1 to about the goal line. Caught the ball, was immediately wrapped up, then like a 8 year old playing keep away with the ball on a school recess, tossed the ball out of bounds. So we luckily got a safety instead of them getting a TD, they got the ball and momentum. More of the "no fear of failure" culture Frost has instilled.

Not sure what you were watching but he was lined up properly at the 10.  He ran back to catch the ball.  No excuse for it but also no reason to make up something. 

• Plus1 2