Buffalo Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

I only caught pieces of the game and I saw him hit the TE a few times, but he was 13/27 for 145. So far, I think the perception of him not being a good QB matches reality.

Dang, you're right. Maybe I just tuned in on that one when they had a couple good drives. I see the box score and you're right...and that's 47% lol.

I stand corrected.

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't know what Indiana's deal was on Saturday.

I don't know the how but a lot of it was Pennix throwing three INTs including two pick-sixes.  And generally just not throwing the ball well.  Not sure if he was rusty or Iowa was confusing him or what.

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Its What We Do GIFs | Tenor

Agreed.

When I look at what the potential is of our WR room and then what it looks like Stepp is capable of though, I really think this could be the season where our offense breaks out.

For me it's a question of whether or not special teams and dumb penalties wind up cancelling it all out.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I don't know what Indiana's deal was on Saturday. They were like a 180 degree different team from last season in that game.

The deal with Indiana is that people read way too much into the results of a bulls#!t season, as they did nationwide...

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I have zero trust that we can do this, but if teams can avoid turnovers I think Iowa will struggle a bit this year. Iowa's offense was pretty much what I expected - Goodson will break a couple and they can wear you down, but there's not a lot there. Avoid turnovers, specifically the kind they return for 6, and they won't be able to pull away. But the defense is legitimate. 

Several Iowa fans that I talk to honestly don't think they'll be very good this year. 

I find it comical how a lot of people on this board are predicting which games we can and can't win after most teams have only played one game.  Is Tulane really good or does Oklahoma suck?  Washington must be trash.  Iowa must be unbeatable because they beat an IU team that may or may not suck.  Why don't we wait til we all have more tape to go off until we decide who can beat who.  Not like a team could look really good when one player is making extraordinary plays (Minn) and then that player is lost for the year and that same team doesn't look so good anymore.  

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

Just so you know, my thoughts are about us.  We have looked the same for the last few years.  Very Unspecial teams, lack luster O with no consistency, a staff that doesn't seem engaged at times, not able to make adjustments during games, mistake prone play, and an OL that doesn't seem to be very tough.  

But hey, D looks better

I am not really concerned about anyone else.  Past performance tells us it doesn't matter how bad a team looks week in and week out.  They tend to look great against us. 

Until that changes, predicting how we will do seems to be easy.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Undone said:

Offense has gotten probably 90% of the discussion on this board since the Illinois game, and probably for good reason.

But one thing was sticking out again to me against Fordham on defense: I'm still not sure what our pass rush looks like once we start playing good teams. We showed what I guess you'd call good "bull rushing" in our first two games, where our three down linemen + Nelson just cave the pocket in.

But I'm just not sure if that will be enough against teams like Michigan State on up on the schedule. Might be good enough for Buffalo & Purdue...

My other question is whether or not we even have a Nickel sort of package at all? We probably needed one against Fordham the way they were slinging the rock. Pass coverage was pretty leaky at times for playing an FCS team.

Watching the game Saturday, I was very frustrated with our defense.  They were giving up yardage in the first half pretty bad and we weren't getting to the QB.  I think they had around 245 yards at half.  

But, rewatching, I think I see what was happening.  In the first half, it seemed like we were playing off of the receivers a lot.  Possibly in zone coverage.  At half, that changed and we started playing a lot tighter coverage at the line.  So, in the first half, their QB was making a lot of very quick throws to guys finding the opening in the defense.  After half, they weren't able to do that.  We started to get more pressure on him and they only gained like 40-45 yards all half.

• Plus1 1

They need to do two things on top of what they have already been doing in the passing game.  They want to get Toure the ball.  That's great but I don't want it to turn into the Wandale dilemma when its like they are trying to get him the ball too much.  Get your huge TE involved more.  Find a way to use Toure to get either Manning or Martin open.   This is the difference between this year and last.  Who was getting the ball if Wandale or Allen/Stoll wasn't?  Nobody.  Have to make other teams scheme to stop everyone not just Toure 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

When I look at what the potential is of our WR room and then what it looks like Stepp is capable of though, I really think this could be the season where our offense breaks out.

For me it's a question of whether or not special teams and dumb penalties wind up cancelling it all out.

Just get an OL that plays as a unit, but that won’t happen over night. Work on small wins each week and continue to get better.

I did read an encouraging comment elsewhere about getting OL to gel and then needing this season to come around and really ‘23 before they really become bad mammajammas. That had more to do with their youthfulness than their current development. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Just get an OL that plays as a unit, but that won’t happen over night. Work on small wins each week and continue to get better.

I did read an encouraging comment elsewhere about getting OL to gel and then needing this season to come around and really ‘23 before they really become bad mammajammas. That had more to do with their youthfulness than their current development. 

I think that is realistic.  Hope then keep everything together that long.  I like the 2023 schedule...

At Minn

At Colorado

Vs N Illinois

Vs LA Tech

Vs NW

At Illinois

Vs Michigan

Vs Wisconsin

At Purdue

Vs Maryland

At Mich St

Vs Iowa