Signature Win

huskerfan74

Watching the game again, I am left to wonder if we will get a signature win this season that will propel us to turn the corner and get back to competing at the national level. To get that win, I feel we are missing the following and I do not know if we can get them fixed this season:

(1) Disciplined smart play from our OL giving Martinez enough time to react or find open receivers

(2) Hiring a dedicated special teams coach that can focus on fixing the serious issues with our special teams play. Having one coach be in charge of two different aspects of the team sends a wrong message to the team that special teams play is not that important when we all have seen that it is our Achilles heel. 
(3) Frost learning to design an effective 2-minute drill. The plays called during our 2-minute drills are miserable, chaotic, and extremely ineffective. Frost looks as lost as the entire offense and that does not infuse confidence into the team. 

(4) Improve our red zone offense. We are our own worst enemy when we get to the red zone. If the penalties do not get us, the horrible play calling does. That, coupled with the fact that we have ABSOLUTELY NO kicking game, is a recipe for disaster. We have laid goose eggs on many trips to the red zone.

Yesterday’s game gave us hope that this team is making progress and that they might be closer than we thought after the Illinois game. However, if we are to get our signature win, we need to fix the above or we will continue to lose close games. Michigan State, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio state, and Iowa are really good. If we are to win some of these games, we cannot keep ignoring the above and hoping they will magically fix themselves.

I remain cautiously optimistic that we will be able to get some good wins this season that can help us build upon going into next year.

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, Ggodd002 said:

If we are closer is Frost the man to take us there still?  All of the issues fall on him.  He has had 4 years and the undisciplined play is not new and on him. 

If we finish 6-6 than most likely we have taken steps in the right direction and I (jmo) give Frost 2 more years on the basis 7 wins is the bare minimum in 2022 and that year needs to be full of "we are just this close" moments if 7 wins ends up being the max. 

If we go 5-7 this year, I (jmo) give him 1 more year and 7 minimum is still the target for 2022....

So I guess 7 wins in 2022 is the target regardless...lol.

Let's go 7 -5 this year to avoid my own conundrum I just laid out

19 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Tbf this week could be a signature win, same with Michigan, Northwestern (in a rout), Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State

Well, I’m not sure MSU can be considered a signature win. Necessary yes, signature no. And based on what NW has looked like, I’d say they and Purdue are expected wins. Let’s save signature win status for Michigan, Iowa (yuk), Wisconsin and Ohio State. Convenient since we’ll have to beat at least one, maybe 2, of those to make a bowl.

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

All o want is to get at least 4 more wins before the Iowa game then go beat them by 40 points. 

I sure as hell don't want to go into Iowa needing that game as our 6th win to go bowling.  The thought of them beating us again and costing us a chance to go bowling would suck.....And then to think all those years ago with this gem...

“But in the final analysis, I had to evaluate where Iowa was.”  

I'd love to be where they are............

• Plus1 1

While I was pleasantly surprised by the final score of Saturday's game, it appears that the same structural issues remain with this team.  A great defensive effort was squandered and again, the coaching is responsible.

For those of you who remain optimistic about this staff, I would say this counts as a signature "moral" win.  Similar to our game against OSU in 2018 it marks a true program-changing moment.  In lieu of a bowl game this year, we can celebrate this achievement in December when other teams are preparing for their New Year's contests.  Raises and contract extensions are in order!

We need some momentum going into games with the tougher opponents. This week is a chance for this team to carry the effort they put into the MSU game and finally pull a win. I would not call that a signature win as MSU’s opponents are not doing well but beating MSU will give this team the confidence they need to compete against Ohio state and Michigan. If we go into those games limping, we will get embarrassed on national TV, which will set us back to square 1. The truth of the matter is that after four years of consistency in coaching staff, Frost needs to evaluate and make much needed coaching changes to resolve our OL and special teams woes, especially if they continue to cost us close games. Frost was brought here to right the ship and not to secure jobs for his buddies. If his buddies can’t earn their fat paychecks, get someone who sees this as an opportunity to be a part of getting the Huskers back to relevance. 

6 hours ago, FTW said:

Just focus on the next opponent. We can’t keep setting bars and expect to meet them. One game at a time. Everything else takes care of itself. Nothing matters if you’re not totally prepared for what’s right in front of you. 

Yep. 

This week would be a huge win. 

If we win, the next week would even be a bigger win….etc. 

We need to start a win streak this week.