The thing I still don't get...

Toe

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you look at this from the other end:

If Scott Frost is fired, does another P5 program pick him up as a head coach?

If you were that school's fanbase, would you consider it a bad choice given almost any other option?

If you look at the Comments section of OWH and LJS articles, it appears a majority of the Husker fanbase thinks the firing would be a huge mistake, fueled by a$$h@!e sports reporters and fans who don't understand what makes Nebraska special. They are also worried about what the rest of college football would think if we fire another coach. They don't seem to realize college football is already wondering how much failure we're willing to tolerate. 

UConn would hire him I guess

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

You got this!

If you make me offensive coordinator I'll move Martinez to running back where he will at random take direct snaps and then throw the ball.

The play will be called "WTF 62 Brain Aneurysm Strike."

You're on. If you could also assume Special Team duties, I can put that salary towards a Gulfstream G700 for recruiting trips and stewardess "tips." 

The culture change starts now. 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Heck, I still wouldn't put it past one of the Florida schools to give him a go.

I would, he wont sniff another P5 HC gig unless he is fortunate enough to go into the Saban rehabilitation program, I also wouldnt have Frost be my OC if I was Saban. He likes to score enough points to win games. 

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Who knows? But say you're the AD at Miami and you have to make your case for hiring Scott Frost to both fans and big money donors. What's your pitch? 

Do it on April 1st. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Who knows? But say you're the AD at Miami and you have to make your case for hiring Scott Frost to both fans and big money donors. What's your pitch? 

Scott Frost is a great coach with a good pedigree, he knows the state of Florida and already had success here. He learned a lot from his time at Nebraska and we have faith that he'll bring better results with better resources and a more fertile recruiting ground. Although he didn't win may at Nebraska, his offense and defense ranked in the the top 20 in several different categories and that success will boil over into wins here.

To big money donors: He's who we really wanted 4 years ago and now we get him on a bargain and he's agreed to bring in different coordinators. Nebraska's so screwed up, no one could have success there. At least they helped Frost work out the kinks for us. 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If a P5 AD hired Frost after 4 straight losing seasons at Nebraska. That AD and Frost would be fired the very next day. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say never in the history of football has a P5 school hired a coach coming off 4 straight losing seasons. 

23 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Scott Frost is a great coach with a good pedigree, he knows the state of Florida and already had success here. He learned a lot from his time at Nebraska and we have faith that he'll bring better results with better resources and a more fertile recruiting ground. Although he didn't win may at Nebraska, his offense and defense ranked in the the top 20 in several different categories and that success will boil over into wins here.

To big money donors: He's who we really wanted 4 years ago and now we get him on a bargain and he's agreed to bring in different coordinators. Nebraska's so screwed up, no one could have success there. At least they helped Frost work out the kinks for us. 

Sounds similar to how people rationalized Mike Riley when we hired him.  

15 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If a P5 AD hired Frost after 4 straight losing seasons at Nebraska. That AD and Frost would be fired the very next day. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say never in the history of football has a P5 school hired a coach coming off 4 straight losing seasons. 

Too bad you didn't say 2, because Gene Chizik did it w/Iowa State leaving for Auburn

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Nah, Riley was a coach who "did more with less." He made Oregon State respectable. The only reason he never won anything big is because he didn't have "Nebraska Resources." - This is the same argument anyone would make for hiring Campbell, Fleck, or Patterson. 

Basically the pitch for hiring Frost is - "It's not Frost, its Nebraska." - Which given our recent history is probably a believable sell. 

Also, fluke or not- Ain't many coaches that have ever coached an undefeated season. Lends more credibility to the, "not Frost, it's Nebraska," argument. 

38 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Hard pass.

Next.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Could be. But the COVID year is over, and a lot of the guys that you'd probably list out as being the ones that would want to transfer are on the younger side who wouldn't be eligible for grad transfers.

And unless I've missed any new rule updates, those players not eligible for a grad transfer would have to sit out a year.

Manning & Martin might be eligible there, not sure on their degree status honestly.

No sitting out for the first transfer, new rule.

https://www.thedartmouth.com/article/2021/04/ncaa-ratifies-new-one-time-transfer-rule#:~:text=Long-standing NCAA rules have,sit out their first year.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I know it's hard to recall, but Mike Riley had an excellent reputation within the coaching community at the time, and a pretty solid history of doing more with less. USC and Alabama both tried to hire him in his early days, but he was a Corvallis homeboy. 

Some definitely considered the hire a head-scratcher, but it was defensible. So was Bo Pelini. And Frost 2017 was a no-brainer.

Scott Frost 2021 seems like a much tougher sell. 

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
43 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Okay. Now go down the list of potential coaches for Nebraska, find the one with the worst record, blame it on the program, and sell him back to me as the guy you've chosen over all other options. 

• Plus1 2