Some more crazy stats on the Huskers under Frost

Another article  that further breaks down stats that show how far (or close) we are to include the "luck" factor.  To spare the read, we are last. It does do a great break down showing where so much of the lost points are.....Here is one, but a lot more.  Again, some stats to take opinion and feelings out of it.

The offense has given up 16 points this year (one scoop-six, one pick-six, one safety). Special teams have yielded another 11 (one punt return TD, one safety and a two-point return). That’s 27 points, while defense/special teams has added zero to the Husker side.

I tallied up NU’s past decade in this odd category. Of course, 2021 is last. Next worse are 2017 (minus-21) and 2018 (minus-14).

If you removed those 27 points, the Blackshirt defense would rise from 26th nationally in scoring defense to 12th.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/chatelain-the-weird-and-infuriating-statistics-of-nebraska-football/article_42f5e802-3cf3-11ec-80c7-37abd972e43d.html

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

But it also smacks of how close we are to having something special here in Lincoln. 

More and more, I keep thinking we should give Frost time, but we need to get proven commodities for assistants around him, and get some analysts that can work with Frost behind the scenes to help shore this s*** up. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

But it also smacks of how close we are to having something special here in Lincoln. 

More and more, I keep thinking we should give Frost time, but we need to get proven commodities for assistants around him, and get some analysts that can work with Frost behind the scenes to help shore this s*** up. 

I think that should have been done prior to this year.   The covid year was a big fail and changes could have, would have, should have been made then. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

The above would require the fan base and donors to be content with the following growth model for Nebraska football: We are going to need to get a HC for our HC.

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think that should have been done prior to this year.   The covid year was a big fail and changes could have, would have, should have been made then. 

I agree that assistant coaching changes should have been initiated much earlier in his tenure if there was belief that problems existed.  At this stage, it is merely a means to rationalizing continued poor performance in 2022 (as a result of "transition").

That said, I think you would be hard pressed to get Coach Frost to even admit that there is a problem (strategic or tactical).  He believes that his system is working, that his assistants are performing at a high level and that he has the talent necessary to succeed.  His continued reference to "a movie we have seen before" is a method of disassociating the results and events from his work.  Again, it is as if the team is merely a victim of circumstance and has no capacity to change their fortunes.  We know this not to be true...

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I agree that assistant coaching changes should have been initiated much earlier in his tenure if there was belief that problems existed.  At this stage, it is merely a means to rationalizing continued poor performance in 2022 (as a result of "transition").

That said, I think you would be hard pressed to get Coach Frost to even admit that there is a problem (strategic or tactical).  He believes that his system is working, that his assistants are performing at a high level and that he has the talent necessary to succeed.  His continued reference to "a movie we have seen before" is a method of disassociating the results and events from his work.  Again, it is as if the team is merely a victim of circumstance and has no capacity to change their fortunes.  We know this not to be true...

all good points.  The 'we are so close' statements are really starting to gag me at this point.

Dumb And Dumber Gag GIFs | Tenor

• Plus1 1

The article by Dirk in the OP actually swayed me back to the side of keeping Frost for at least one more season.

The special teams NEEDS addressed.  But NU can reconfigure ST without bringing in an entirely new staff.  

my mood over the last couple of weeks regarding the what needs to be done with the staff:

swinging door gifs | WiffleGif

No matter what, we are going to get whacked in the face

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

It is the little things, the attention to details that make a team great.  The OP is evidence that we have failed wt the little things. 

Exactly! And this is where I get tired of hearing about "luck", "karma", or whatever boogeyman some fans think is causing the lack of success.

This article by Dirk shows me that these issues under Frost have been a consistent problem.  This year is an extreme, but it's not a one year blip.  Frost's teams look great/improved in the stats, but lack of focus on the small things is what fails Frost.  A new coach who can do the big things AND the small things is what we need.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Exactly! And this is where I get tired of hearing about "luck", "karma", or whatever boogeyman some fans think is causing the lack of success.

NU has had "bad luck" this year under Frost, but their luck factor has been bad all 4 years under Frost.  The old saying is that "good coaches can create good luck".  The inverse of that looks to be that Frost is a bad coach.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Anyone thinking things will change if we keep Frost is doing some incredible mental gymnastics.  There will be widespread and deep apathy that sets in if you keep a coach that goes 3-9 in year 4.  For all those who will say "let's let the year play out"  and "we don't know we will finish 3-9", look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself which team we are going to beat in those 3.  If we beat Iowa, is 4-8 really better than 3-9? 

The bowl game hopes truly end on Saturday, and my guess is the defense's resolve finally cracks as they can't take the rest of the team's crap anymore.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU has had "bad luck" this year under Frost, but their luck factor has been bad all 4 years under Frost.  The old saying is that "good coaches can create good luck".  The inverse of that looks to be that Frost is a bad coach.

Beamer at VT was a master at creating "good luck." 

It's not an accident that Frost hasn't been able to, or that Beamer could. 

• Plus1 7