Law of Average

tmfr15

Listening to a lot of people in the media saying that Nebraska made the right choice with Frost because the team is so competitive and close. Then I watch games and specifically the “good” teams that we competed close against. They look pretty average to me. And then I look at the bad losses we’ve had. If you are going to look at the good losses them you have to look at the bad ones. It all adds up to me being pretty skeptical. And that’s without considering the bad coaching in the losses, the lack of player development and some post retention statements by Frost and then just end of with a deep feeling of disappointment. 

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

To have it work would be basically unprecedented in the history of college football. No coach has ever won a conference title at a school after starting with 4 losing seasons. 

Might we be the first? Sure. Would I bet any money on it though???

I'm willing to see who the hires are, and of course I am rooting for success.  My kool aid tank will be empty all spring and summer though and I won't buy a word of how much they've improved from the coach. We've seen that movie before.

Just win. No more talking.

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

Listening to a lot of people in the media saying that Nebraska made the right choice with Frost because the team is so competitive and close. Then I watch games and specifically the “good” teams that we competed close against. They look pretty average to me. And then I look at the bad losses we’ve had. If you are going to look at the good losses them you have to look at the bad ones. It all adds up to me being pretty skeptical. And that’s without considering the bad coaching in the losses, the lack of player development and some post retention statements by Frost and then just end of with a deep feeling of disappointment. 

Buckle up, it's going to be a long 2 years.

princess-bride-disappointment.gif

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

If you want to know how it’s going to go next year, all you have to do is look at frosts press conference on Wednesday. People looking for a reason to gloat that frost wasn’t fired will use that, but I expect the dysfunction on offense to get worse next year. 

delusion and hubris are a terrible combination. 

Nebraska made the right move for several reasons.  They are saving millions.  They are removing the narrative that Nebraska fires coaches too quickly.  They are giving the home town guy every opportunity possible to succeed.  All that leads to making the Nebraska job a lot more desirable to coaching prospects if we have to eventually pull the plug.  Of course it's a very slim chance this will work.  Almost everyone knows that.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Nebraska made the right move for several reasons.  They are saving millions.  They are removing the narrative that Nebraska fires coaches too quickly.  They are giving the home town guy every opportunity possible to succeed.  All that leads to making the Nebraska job a lot more desirable to coaching prospects if we have to eventually pull the plug.  Of course it's a very slim chance this will work.  Almost everyone knows that.

I agree with everything you said. Plus, Trev played it SAFE. No matter what decision he made a portion of the fan base was going to be unhappy. It appeared to be 60-40 in favor of Frost, so regardless, a large group was going to disagree. If you are looking that predicament in the face, you might as well make the decision that saves the program $$. That is what he did.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I don't think sticking with a coach who has sunk the program to its lowest level since the 1950s is the answer either.  There needs to be a  reasonable middle ground.

Nebraska ran through 8 coaches in the 20 years before Devaney. I wonder if anyone in the fan base said we should stick with Bill Jennings cause this is our 8th coach in 20 years and it’s not working hiring and firing 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Nebraska ran through 8 coaches in the 20 years before Devaney. I wonder if anyone in the fan base said we should stick with Bill Jennings cause this is our 8th coach in 20 years and it’s not working hiring and firing 

Pretty fair point that not many people know.