Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

6 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

And your offensive line is hot garbage.

@ColoradoHusk nailed it. Either QB would've struggled because the lifeblood of our offense is very, very bad.  Grant is an fantastic RB, but we only know that because he's able to thrive behind this line and make up for a lot of their sins.

Nebraska should not be a place OL coaches need to grow into the position.

Yes & 3 yards a carry is going to win games.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Why would any team load the box???? Plenty of tape out there of 3 DLinemen having their way with 5 OLinemen and even a back/TE blocking.

A DC that doesn’t play safeties over the top of Palmer to help from here out are trying to get fired for incompetence 

All year we see 4 down lineman beating our OL to hit CT.  If Casey doesn't release within 3.5 to 4 seconds he is driven into the ground.  

That is an OL problem and not a QB problem.  I mean, some of the plays don't always have receivers in good break spots by then (on matchups).  

And, where is he supposed to scramble within in 3.5 seconds when they come from the middle and both outsides?  This line helps no one, not even a really good RB like Grant.  

Not sure if it is Raiola learning how to coach a line, or the lineman (players).  But the main problem is def upfront.  Which leaves no room for error by a QB to miss targets at times.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

All year we see 4 down lineman beating our OL to hit CT.  If Casey doesn't release within 3.5 to 4 seconds he is driven into the ground.  

That is an OL problem and not a QB problem.  I mean, some of the plays don't always have receivers in good break spots by then (on matchups).  

And, where is he supposed to scramble within in 3.5 seconds when they come from the middle and both outsides?  This line helps no one, not even a really good RB like Grant.  

Not sure if it is Raiola learning how to coach a line, or the lineman (players).  But the main problem is def upfront.  Which leaves no room for error by a QB to miss targets at times.  

I agree, but riola inhereted a line with very little talent.  The best 2 were suspended & injured.  You may be right, but I'm not ready to place blame on riola.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ZRod said:

Uh... We had an entire fall camp analyzing TMs throwing motion from a single picture, and an internet slideshow meme was born of his tendency to just chuck balls up into the air.

Casey makes some really great throws, then he makes some serious head scratchers. We already know the defense is not good, and the line is hot grabage. We needed Casey to better than a 50/50 thrower... And some of those big plays he missed he had clean pockets.

I do not disagree that he made some really poor throws AT times.  And it made me wonder why?  

But, since we had 1 rushing yard through 2-3 quarters of play, how in the world did we ever make it a close game?

Don't be like Matt Millen and just say Trey Palmer.  Because somebody had to throw it to him (Casey Thompson), and to a spot where Palmer could catch the ball in stride and keep running.  You know, like a great QB does.  The Big difference from yolo's of the past (Receiver down the field is open and catches a jump ball, then goes down).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, admo said:

I do not disagree that he made some really poor throws AT times.  And it made me wonder why?  

But, since we had 1 rushing yard through 2-3 quarters of play, how in the world did we ever make it a close game?

Don't be like Matt Millen and just say Trey Palmer.  Because somebody had to throw it to him (Casey Thompson), and to a spot where Palmer could catch the ball in stride and keep running.  You know, like a great QB does.  The Big difference from yolo's of the past (Receiver down the field is open and catches a jump ball, then goes down).

Casey has more throws amiss than hitting guys in stride.  Yes that can be attributed to the s#!tshow the five clowns in front of him display weekly, but CT can develop “happy feet” in his throwing mechanics real fast after one shot a lot of times

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Casey has more throws amiss than hitting guys in stride.  Yes that can be attributed to the s#!tshow the five clowns in front of him display weekly, but CT can develop “happy feet” in his throwing mechanics real fast after one shot a lot of times

Casey has hit a lot of targets in stride, many times every game.  Some go for 1st downs and some go for touchdowns. Under extreme pressure and with a clean pocket.

I agree that he could do way better scrambling for yards, but the amount of time in the pocket isn't there that much.

As for the freak wobblers and duck spirals, passes behind targets or under throws, please grab a ball and throw it without strong thumb grip. Pretty obvious to me it was reinjured NW game. 

But, we could always go with Purdy or Smothers. That would be neat I guess.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I do think there’s likely thumb issues with CT.  That what it looks like to me anyway.  

Couple that with playing behind literally the worst Nebraska offense line that I can ever remember seeing which is pretty remarkable.  Not the best situation at all that’s for sure.  I was worried before the season began as far as the thumb still being a lingering problem.  Personally I do think that it still is.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, admo said:

Casey has hit a lot of targets in stride, many times every game.  Some go for 1st downs and some go for touchdowns. Under extreme pressure and with a clean pocket.

I agree that he could do way better scrambling for yards, but the amount of time in the pocket isn't there that much.

As for the freak wobblers and duck spirals, passes behind targets or under throws, please grab a ball and throw it without strong thumb grip. Pretty obvious to me it was reinjured NW game. 

But, we could always go with Purdy or Smothers. That would be neat I guess.

The wobbles were there prior to the injury at Texas.   

He makes throws we haven’t seen in years, but many of his throws come out of his hand very duckish-something UT fans know/hated as well.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

He makes throws we haven’t seen in years, but many of his throws come out of his hand very duckish-something UT fans know/hated as well.

I wonder if Casey has small hands, thus making it a challenge to grip the ball. Casey isn’t the biggest guy, so it wouldn’t be a stretch for him to have small hands for a QB. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulCrewe said:

I know you played ball at Doane and I respect your take. Always have over the years.  I am pretty sure you know the importance of gripping the ball and the effect it can have if playing through some pain/injury.  IMO Fingers, ribs, and turf toe are the most difficult to play through IMO.  Because Advil can't help it.  

Anyway, it's all good bro :cheers

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, admo said:

I know you played ball at Doane and I respect your take. Always have over the years.  I am pretty sure you know the importance of gripping the ball and the effect it can have if playing through some pain/injury.  IMO Fingers, ribs, and turf toe are the most difficult to play through IMO.  Because Advil can't help it.  

Anyway, it's all good bro :cheers

Yes it’s all good.  My point is Casey has had issues with wobbly passes even before he jacked up his hand.  Again he has made throws that are perfect, but there are many throws that leave much to be desired, and I think he is pretty soft mentally and physically often

Casey is a very decent QB.  He does hold onto the ball too long sometimes, but my biggest complaint is his lack of interest in scrambling for a few yards when things break down fast.  I know this was a knock on Adrian, but I think we see now why he bailed so fast.  I don't want to see CAsey become that, but sometimes get out of there and run for a few positive yards.  Thats really my biggest knock on him.  The thing is we really only have one WR who I think can get open.  The other receivers either don't run the routes right or they take to long to develop.  I sure like the slants that Purdue uses.  We need more plays like that.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, admo said:

We had -1 yard because sacks count against our rushing totals and Whipple doesn't seem to know how to run outside the tackles. Neither of Palmer's TDs we're in stride. He had to slow up for both of them. He just had the defense so ridiculously beat it didn't matter. Casey is no better and no worse at the deep ball than Martinez is. His throw to Martin was pretty solid though.