Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Fb78H9NX0AApeV3?format=jpg&name=medium

Meh, Inconclusive. 

And if ESPN's QBR stat (created by them in 2011) says he sucks in comparison, I don't care.  We have a full season ahead of us; let's see what is says by the end of the year.  

Casey will rise up, and the rest of the dominoes on the list will fall.  

rbo2hakwgw8uk1vlevlq

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Passing Efficieny Rating

Mertz, Wisconsin - 223.1
Thorne, MSU - 178.2
Hilinski, NW - 157.8
Clifford, PSU - 148.3
Morgan, Minn - 145.3
Stroud, OSU - 145.1
Thompson, Neb - 141.2

Tagovailoa, MD - 136.4
DeVito, Ill - 131.9
McNamara, Mich - 131.8
Bazelak, Ind - 109.7
O'Connell, Pur - 103.5
Petras, Iowa - 72.6

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Fb78H9NX0AApeV3?format=jpg&name=medium

Under Frost, we have constantly had a QB room full of 2nd & 3rd stringers - no top tier QB's. Doubtful that any of our QB's would start for the top 50% of Big Ten teams and that's a problem. Frost's inability to evaluate, recruit, and have assistants who can coach-up QB's is a major contributor to us losing close games over the past four seasons.

I'm not at all impressed with Thompson. Once non-bottom-feeder conference play starts, his talent level will be exposed. One bright spot - we might actually beat Iowa this year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, The Whale said:

Under Frost, we have constantly had a QB room full of 2nd & 3rd stringers - no top tier QB's. Doubtful that any of our QB's would start for the top 50% of Big Ten teams and that's a problem. Frost's inability to evaluate, recruit, and have assistants who can coach-up QB's is a major contributor to us losing close games over the past four seasons.

I'm not at all impressed with Thompson. Once conference play starts, his talent level will be exposed. One bright spot - we might actually beat Iowa this year.

I may be wrong but I think Northwestern is in the Big Ten.  

• Plus1 4

• 4 weeks later...

I know there have been a few ups and downs, the OL protection doesn't provide any favors, and quite a few passes have been underthrown or a bit behind the target, or way off target...........  However.....

There have been passes thrown by Casey that we just haven't seen or been used to...  and it's very impressive.  Well, I haven't seen a Husker QB make these kind of TD passes regularly (weekly).  It's not yolo or hold the ball, scramble, run and throw.  Just incredible passes that are timing plays.

Northwestern - the 35  yard sideline TD pass to Castenada was absolutely perfect
North Dakota - the quick strike to Boerkircher for 20 yards was perfect; The rollout pass to Brewington for a TD was thrown so he could catch turn and run
Georgia Southern - great pass to Brody Belt for  20 yard score.
OU - Casey dropped a dime - perfectly thrown 35 yard TD pass to Palmer
Indiana - another perfect pass - to Oliver Martin for 35 yard TD score; another absolutely perfect ball thrown to Palmer for 70 yard score
Rutgers - Bam-Bam - The quick/immediate release (pass) thrown to Vokolek for 10 yard TD;  And The dagger - a great TD pass thrown to Palmer for 35 yard winning TD.

Not to mention how many times this year we have faced 3rd and whatever, and Casey completes a first down pass over the middle of the field... like it's routine. 

And there is No scrambling out of the pocket, waiting to making a decision, and running to the sidelines and hoping to get a 1st down by running on a pass play.  No yolo's.  No skipping rocks.

He is a real pocket passer and makes these decisions pretty quickly.  Doesn't do it every time (which he gets chewed out for), but most of the time the ball is leaving his hand for a receiver to make a play.  I enjoy seeing this a lot.  Would be amazing with an OL giving him more than 3.5 seconds... more than 4.5 seconds.  But typically it is out of his hands withing 2.5-3.0 seconds.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
11 hours ago, admo said:

I know there have been a few ups and downs, the OL protection doesn't provide any favors, and quite a few passes have been underthrown or a bit behind the target, or way off target...........  However.....

There have been passes thrown by Casey that we just haven't seen or been used to...  and it's very impressive.  Well, I haven't seen a Husker QB make these kind of TD passes regularly (weekly).  It's not yolo or hold the ball, scramble, run and throw.  Just incredible passes that are timing plays.

Northwestern - the 35  yard sideline TD pass to Castenada was absolutely perfect
North Dakota - the quick strike to Boerkircher for 20 yards was perfect; The rollout pass to Brewington for a TD was thrown so he could catch turn and run
Georgia Southern - great pass to Brody Belt for  20 yard score.
OU - Casey dropped a dime - perfectly thrown 35 yard TD pass to Palmer
Indiana - another perfect pass - to Oliver Martin for 35 yard TD score; another absolutely perfect ball thrown to Palmer for 70 yard score
Rutgers - Bam-Bam - The quick/immediate release (pass) thrown to Vokolek for 10 yard TD;  And The dagger - a great TD pass thrown to Palmer for 35 yard winning TD.

Not to mention how many times this year we have faced 3rd and whatever, and Casey completes a first down pass over the middle of the field... like it's routine. 

And there is No scrambling out of the pocket, waiting to making a decision, and running to the sidelines and hoping to get a 1st down by running on a pass play.  No yolo's.  No skipping rocks.

He is a real pocket passer and makes these decisions pretty quickly.  Doesn't do it every time (which he gets chewed out for), but most of the time the ball is leaving his hand for a receiver to make a play.  I enjoy seeing this a lot.  Would be amazing with an OL giving him more than 3.5 seconds... more than 4.5 seconds.  But typically it is out of his hands withing 2.5-3.0 seconds.  

Your take is pretty spot on. When he has protection he throws strikes for the most part. Only criticism I have for him is when the edges do get their doors blown off he has a tendency to turtle shell and not extend the play/ step up or scramble. Case in point, that 10 yard scramble up the middle he made against Rutgers. That kind of run was open for him ALL game and really every game this season. He needs to be coached up on seeing that if the pocket is closing on his edges or from behind he needs to pull it down and RUN. If he doesn’t want to run because he is banged up, run and slide and take the 3 to 4 yards instead of a sack or incompletion.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Scofrosghost said:

Your take is pretty spot on. When he has protection he throws strikes for the most part. Only criticism I have for him is when the edges do get their doors blown off he has a tendency to turtle shell and not extend the play/ step up or scramble. Case in point, that 10 yard scramble up the middle he made against Rutgers. That kind of run was open for him ALL game and really every game this season. He needs to be coached up on seeing that if the pocket is closing on his edges or from behind he needs to pull it down and RUN. If he doesn’t want to run because he is banged up, run and slide and take the 3 to 4 yards instead of a sack or incompletion.

Spot on.  Been noticing that too.   He tries to extend the pass play too long and ends up getting himself into trouble.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Spot on.  Been noticing that too.   He tries to extend the pass play too long and ends up getting himself into trouble.  

Exactly if you are going to try and extend the play you have to MOVE. Can’t just sit in the pocket or just keep back pedaling. Gotta use the s#!tty blocking to step up or try and get lateral outside the hash marks. He literally backs up 5-10 yards and just sits there or throws off his back foot.