Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

I don’t expect that stats will tell the true story as to CT vs AM.  Ultimately it’s about leading a team to victory - the QB’s primary role.  We saw Azm for 4 seasons.  Lots and lots of chances. Big games and lots of not so big games.  Healthy. Injured.  Young. Mature.  Plenty of 4 stars backs and receivers.   Good line play and bad.   

Now, will see what CT can do. At this point, he has similar backs and receivers (although the koolaid flow has created overestimated views of this year’s groups).   Most see the O line as even weaker so the QB job may get tougher.  

The play calls may vary but unless we see a rather pronounced increase in the run calls, CT will have to deal with a similar defensive scheme of stop the pass and don’t pay much mind to the run stuff.  

We don’t know what Whipple wants but we know Frost says he’ll oversee things and collaborate.  I hope he makes suggestions only.  The ? Is :   Does Whip call the plays but Frost tells him what call?    We may not know game 1 

GBR!!  

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Or, as it turns out, if Casey Thompson had a significantly better game it's not because he played well, it's because Oklahoma has a bad defense (ignoring the fact Martinez played against the same defense).

Well, except for half of the defense being new starters and a completely new coaching staff...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

No, it was middle of the 4th.  And yes, he threw it up for grabs.  What would you have him do in that situation?

Here's the start of the series if you want a refresher.  Not sure I see much you could blame Adrian for on 1st-4th down here:  

He was under a lot of pressure for all those plays. 

• Plus1 3

Just to put things in perspective. 2 points. The first being recognizing how pressure affects the quarterback. We have AM pungents complaining that he needs to handle the pressure better. Those same pungents demand we find a pass rush ends to apply pressure to the opposing quarterback. Hard to separate understanding that need for our defense but then complain about our quarterback  not handling it when statistically we had the worst line in FBS for pass protection. 

2nd point in regards to turnovers. Statistically CT had more interceptions per attempt than AM and more fumbles per rushing attempt than AM. 

Perspective can be eye awakening at times. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Cigarman said:

He was under a lot of pressure for all those plays. 

Thompson isn't going to make/break this team this year.  Him and Martinez are very similar.  The drive after the dumb interception by OU is exactly what people are drooling over CT about.  AM extended plays, and had accurate throws to open receivers.  We are stuck in a world of highlights comparing good CT vs bad AM.  In reality, they both bring the same tools.

I'm hoping for a great season for the Huskers. I would also be just as hopeful with Martinez at QB than I am with Thompson.  I actually kind of wish it would still be AM under center (insert shotgun joke here), just so he could get some redemption if, in fact, the Husker do turn it around this year.  He's too good of a kid to be a scapegoat for the next 50 years of Husker fandom...

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Thompson isn't going to make/break this team this year.  Him and Martinez are very similar.  The drive after the dumb interception by OU is exactly what people are drooling over CT about.  AM extended plays, and had accurate throws to open receivers.  We are stuck in a world of highlights comparing good CT vs bad AM.  In reality, they both bring the same tools.

I'm hoping for a great season for the Huskers. I would also be just as hopeful with Martinez at QB than I am with Thompson.  I actually kind of wish it would still be AM under center (insert shotgun joke here), just so he could get some redemption if, in fact, the Husker do turn it around this year.  He's too good of a kid to be a scapegoat for the next 50 years of Husker fandom...

That is as masochistic as it comes.  Adrian for yet another year...

Best wishes at KSU, 2AM.  We're as grateful as you this season brought change.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Cigarman said:

Just to put things in perspective. 2 points. The first being recognizing how pressure affects the quarterback. We have AM pungents complaining that he needs to handle the pressure better. Those same pungents demand we find a pass rush ends to apply pressure to the opposing quarterback. Hard to separate understanding that need for our defense but then complain about our quarterback  not handling it when statistically we had the worst line in FBS for pass protection. 

2nd point in regards to turnovers. Statistically CT had more interceptions per attempt than AM and more fumbles per rushing attempt than AM. 

Perspective can be eye awakening at times. 

Perspective?

You are comparing a 4 year starter, 3 time captain, with 38 starts vs a first time player, who came off the bench to start 10 games.  

The 2nd guy mentioned had 5TDS in a game - 3 times.  Quite enough to win a game.

Both players dealt with terrible pass pro lines.  However, one team actually had a good defense helping them out;  All you have to do is don't screw up.

The other team saw it's defense allowing Kansas! 57 points, OU 55 points, Arkansas 40 points, and 5 other teams scoring 31 points or more. Which means you are likely playing from behind and not pounding the rock. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Adrian played a good game against Oklahoma but I wouldn't call it better in any way.

Neither would I, and also...nobody did.

Why are y'all bringing up Casey's game against Texas when the original comment that started this was Adrian vs Spencer Rattler?

6 hours ago, Undone said:

If the 'skers win a lot of games this year I doubt it'll be on the back of a bunch of individual amazing performances by Thompson. It'll be because the offense finally puts all of the pieces together

Agreed, but that won't stop a massive amount of our fanbase using it as unnecessary ammo to s#!t on Adrian in a direct comparison.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, Undone said:

I wouldn't either. I'd take the five TD's.

Just one more recap of how I see the entire discussion: If the 'skers win a lot of games this year I doubt it'll be on the back of a bunch of individual amazing performances by Thompson. It'll be because the offense finally puts all of the pieces together - but specifically better blocking and less penalties by the line.

I agree with you to a degree yes the blocking and less penalties are going to be a factor I do think the winning will be bc of Casey Thompson individual performance's. I can see him throwing an average of 300-400 yard per game. Yes the offense as a whole will contribute wr's and rb's to winning games but for the most part wherever CT leads the team that will determine the success or failure.