Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

The first play is Oklahoma not tackling and the second one is a Martinez-esque overthrow of a wide open touchdown.

But, I already know the box score on that one. Thompson threw for 58% but had 5 TDs.

Martinez threw for 76% against the Sooners. Oklahoma played some pretty bad D against the 'horns in that game last year.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

lmao, the first play is Oklahoma not tackling and the second one is a Martinez-esque overthrow of a wide open touchdown.

Adrian - 19-25 for 289 yards  1TD  1INT

Casey - 20-34 for 388 yards 5TD  0 INT

Adrian played a good game against Oklahoma but I wouldn't call it better in any way.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Adrian played a good game against Oklahoma but I wouldn't call it better in any way.

I wouldn't either. I'd take the five TD's.

Just one more recap of how I see the entire discussion: If the 'skers win a lot of games this year I doubt it'll be on the back of a bunch of individual amazing performances by Thompson. It'll be because the offense finally puts all of the pieces together - but specifically better blocking and less penalties by the line.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I loved the Casey Thompson presser.   Impressive dude.  Confident but not at all cocky.  Seems well-prepared and has everything under control.  Hope it all translates into leading the team.

I feel the same. He is legit.  And It will.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

True. But watching the Oklahoma game again, Adrian outplayed Spencer Rattler, and if Casey Thompson had that kind of game, we'd call him a baller. 

Or, as it turns out, if Casey Thompson had a significantly better game it's not because he played well, it's because Oklahoma has a bad defense (ignoring the fact Martinez played against the same defense).

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

LOL

We have a new quarterback and I don't know why anyone would compare him and Adrian Martinez (who I really appreciated at Nebraska).  Thompson is so much better with quicker decisions, timing it, flinging it, ripping it, protecting it, and footwork. A true passing QB.  

If Kedon Slevis transfered to Nebraska (from USC to Pitt instead) I don't think we would have this convo.  Maybe some Husker fans can't see our offense having a different football identity without 2AM.  I am grateful we got CT #11

1189675055-850x560.jpeg

OIP.s6iYDpoQ0LoEf_HI4U55WAHaGs?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's odd -- seems like the national media isn't as nearly as high on Thompson as the local media. I've seen publications that have Martinez rated higher on a national scale, and have CT rated as the 7th or 8th best starting QB in the conference heading into the season. What am I missing here?

Going into the season (2021) the fans were all in on Casey after the Alamo game.  However, HC Steve Sarkisian named freshmen Hudson Card his starting QB (.971 composite recruiting score).  The media was all in on Hudson Card too (in Texas).  But it failed.  Thompson was the better QB, and it seems like he is always having to prove it to someone.  But also, there really wasn't a lot of following on Big 12, and CT did play most of the games with the hand & thumb injury.  He wasn't as effective with the injury.  So the shine wasn't there for the national media.

Unfortunately for Hudson Card, he is getting the same treatment from UT.  Quinn Ewers was named starter.

For me the biggest improvement between Thompson and Martinez will be that I don't see Thompson melting down during game winning drives. Martinez was typically at his worst when the game was absolutely on the line, almost always throwing a terrible pick or fumbling away the ball. I don't hate the guy and respect the hell out of him because I believe he gave Nebraska his all and was always classy. However as I watched the Texas vs. OU highlights that were posted earlier, I seen Thompson lead Texas down on a game tying drive at the very end. That is obviously the biggest game of the year and one of the biggest rivalries in CFB so you know the pressure was on. I just don't see Thompson making the same blunders that Martinez did. 

• Thanks 1