Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

This place is so toxic lol. Dude has been taking shots all season and battling to keep us in games and we talking about missed throws (in my Allen iverson practice voice). I can’t even remember the last qb I trusted to make the consistent variety of throws that Casey does. But this is Nebraska where nobody is more loved than QB2. Let’s put Luke mccaffrey in lol

• TBH 1

I'm with @admoin this depate. You can throw stats at me all night long, and Thompson definitely flailed some odd ducks out there. Yet, if I need one last drive to try to win a game, I'm taking Thompson every time over Martinez. Even if Thompson doesn't always make the play he seems to better understand what play needs to be made, more than I thought Martinez did his last 2 seasons with NU. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

I'm honestly surprised and impressed by his ability to not let the fact that he just got blind side smoked keep him from standing in the pocket the next 50 plays and continue to make some, all in all, accurate reads and passes. I would have such PTSD out there I'd probably just take a knee every snap they asked me to take behind this line. Kind of like how it took Adrian a half a season to start to look like he trusted snaps were going to come into him in the right zip code. I would have thought it CT would look the same with that pocket, but he has shown a tremendous ability to not play scared out there.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

He needs to take off and run more to keep the defense honest like the run before halftime.  We aren't getting much from the RBs lately and defenses are just going to keep hitting him if he just stands there all the time.  He is a much better passer than Martinez, but that throw in the endzone might be the worst missed TD throw by a Husker QB all time.

43 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

He needs to take off and run more to keep the defense honest like the run before halftime.  We aren't getting much from the RBs lately and defenses are just going to keep hitting him if he just stands there all the time.  He is a much better passer than Martinez, but that throw in the endzone might be the worst missed TD throw by a Husker QB all time.

You are forgetting the most important thing to run. It's called blocking!  We attacked their weakness, which was slow secondary.  We lost due to def., not off.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Casey is who he is. Which is a pretty good QB. He’s not better or worse than Adrian as an overall QB, because each guy has strengths over the other. Unfortunately the QB is being asked to do too much in this offense, because of a terrible o-line and lack of commitment and creativity in the running game. 

It's hard to commit to the run when you are 2 scores behind and they are playing man to man & stacking the box.

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It's hard to commit to the run when you are 2 scores behind and they are playing man to man & stacking the box.

I don’t disagree with that. NU was pushed into a situation where they were trying to score anyway possible. However, there is a way to have a better run game through design and preparation, even with a crappy o-line. 

3 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

And your offensive line is hot garbage.

@ColoradoHusk nailed it. Either QB would've struggled because the lifeblood of our offense is very, very bad.  Grant is an fantastic RB, but we only know that because he's able to thrive behind this line and make up for a lot of their sins.

Nebraska should not be a place OL coaches need to grow into the position.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, admo said:

No. 

Over the years on HB.....   4 years with 2AM, 3 1/2 years with Tommy Armstrong, and 4 years with Taylor Martinez..... and not a chirp of analyzations of the QB making bad throws.  But with CT ?? and it's become a weekly thing.  I don't get that.

CT played his tail off and threw some good passes, helping the offense account for 37 points.  Wasn't very good by any means, but the OL sucked, we couldn't run the ball, we couldn't pass protect, we couldn't stop Purdue Mockabee run for a career night, we couldn't sack O'Connell, we called strange time outs, we did not tackle well in the open field, and we punted terrible.  

Uh... We had an entire fall camp analyzing TMs throwing motion from a single picture, and an internet slideshow meme was born of his tendency to just chuck balls up into the air.

Casey makes some really great throws, then he makes some serious head scratchers. We already know the defense is not good, and the line is hot grabage. We needed Casey to better than a 50/50 thrower... And some of those big plays he missed he had clean pockets.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How many times does Palmer need to burn the defense deep before teams start playing with two high safeties and making it easier to run and have short to medium passes?

It will start against Illinois, but it won’t necessarily make it all that easier to run. Defenses will still be able to defend the run with 6 or 7 guys in the box. I would expect more zone defenses in the secondary by opponents going forward. 

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Oh Yeah! 2
22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It will start against Illinois, but it won’t necessarily make it all that easier to run. Defenses will still be able to defend the run with 6 or 7 guys in the box. I would expect more zone defenses in the secondary by opponents going forward. 

If we go 4 wide with grant in the back field and they have to play two high safeties, it’s pretty hard for them to have 6-7 in the box. They basically would have Chin’s defense. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If we go 4 wide with grant in the back field and they have to play two high safeties, it’s pretty hard for them to have 6-7 in the box. They basically would have Chin’s defense. 

Asking the o-line to go 5 blockers on 5 defenders hasn’t been successful yet. I hear what you are saying, but Palmer’s deep threats won’t necessarily open up opportunities for the run game. It should open up opportunities for other receivers, but that will require Thompson to find them and make passes into a zone. 

23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Asking the o-line to go 5 blockers on 5 defenders hasn’t been successful yet. I hear what you are saying, but Palmer’s deep threats won’t necessarily open up opportunities for the run game. It should open up opportunities for other receivers, but that will require Thompson to find them and make passes into a zone. 

Either we have 5 on 5 or bring a tight end in and be 6 on 6. Either way, it would be better than just allowing them to bring a safety in and be 5 on 6 or 6 on 7.