***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

After five years, a lot better...

Really what we're describing here is developing depth.

But just to say it again - Frost has not lacked in the "recruiting talent" category. For anybody who disagrees with that, get on 247sports right now and look at how Turner Corcoran, Bryce Benhart, Teddy Prochazka, Ezra Miller, and others grade out. We're talking about 4 star athletes.

But, how many of those guys are sophomores or younger? The issue I think really is that outside of Jurgens we really just didn't land a good quantity of the bigger-bodied, talented offensive linemen until years 3 & 4 (although I think Benhart was class #2 guy).

*Edit: This is why I really want Frost to stay on because I think we could be a pretty good team next season because of how many upperclassmen offensive players we'll have.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Undone said:

But just to say it again - Frost has not lacked in the "recruiting talent" category. For anybody who disagrees with that, get on 247sports right now and look at how Turner Corcoran, Bryce Benhart, Teddy Prochazka, Ezra Miller, and others grade out. We're talking about 4 star athletes.

But, how many of those guys are sophomores or younger? The issue I think really is that outside of Jurgens we really just didn't land a good quantity of the bigger-bodied, talented offensive linemen until years 3 & 4 (although I think Benhart was class #2 guy).

*Edit: This is why I really want Frost to stay on because I think we could be a pretty good team next season because of how many upperclassmen offensive players we'll have.

We basically would return 18/22 starters & both kicker/punter. 

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Undone said:

seems like its always next season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I feel like they take turns to fubar a play.  1st time might be Hixson, then next it's Teddy, then it's Corcoran, the Benhart gets burned, then Bando gets yanked to the bench.

Maybe if some hungry backups like K Williams, Lutovsky, Anthony, Piper (whoever) get a series, those starters might watch from the sidelines rooting for success for them, but also want to get back in the game and kick it up a notch  :dunno  

We are not playing OU or Michigan this weekend.  It's Georgia Southwestern (something).

I don't like naming names, but this will of course be obvious who we're talking about...there's one guy on the line that used to be a walk-on that got a scholarship.

But he's not the really good kind of walk-on story that showed up and beat out some other quality schollie guys...he got the job because there was really nobody else.

This is the "developing depth" problem. It again isn't because the recruiting classes don't bring in some good players, it's probably more of a function of Greg Austin not having gotten things rolling properly in the first two years.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Go Furself said:

Will be interesting to see if Lutovsky gets more snaps at RG. Wouldn't mind seeing other options at RT too.

We run between the tackles, so something between LG-C-RG has to improve or change players.  Otherwise, Grant and Allen will be looking to improvise and bounce outside every other damn play.  Which is not the called-play direction, but goes for more yards...... than minus 1 yards.

5 hours ago, Undone said:

I don't like naming names, but this will of course be obvious who we're talking about...there's one guy on the line that used to be a walk-on that got a scholarship.

But he's not the really good kind of walk-on story that showed up and beat out some other quality schollie guys...he got the job because there was really nobody else.

This is the "developing depth" problem. It again isn't because the recruiting classes don't bring in some good players, it's probably more of a function of Greg Austin not having gotten things rolling properly in the first two years.

I was the same (with the bold).  But with the exception of Teddy and Lutovsky, the rest of the guys are 21/22/23 year old young men.  And since college athletes are now getting paid for name, image and likeness  - to go along with free education, the tutors, the best health and physical trainers, an amazing weight room, and a delicious mess hall (food!!!) that most people would have to spend $75-100-125 per day to consume and enjoy........  saying names is ok in my book.  Because that is what it has become. 

I could be a backup or 2nd-stringer and be super happy with that in college.  I'd probably get all A's.  I'd lift. I'd get free gear and t-shirts/sweatshirts.  I would eat every bit of those healthy delicious meals.  I wish I could afford $100 a day for food.  Instead, it's fish sticks and some canned tuna.  LOL