Ireland game being moved to vegas?

I hope this isn't true, we can get a game in Vegas any time against anyone. This game is something of a tradition in Ireland and playing in it without either army or Notre Dame is rare. It would not be a good look to cancel. We have the opportunity to make a lot of new fans of the team, or to make a lot of people, people who don't care about sports at all to hate Nebraska. It could be a pretty big non sports political story if we bail out to go to Vegas. 

Besides the Stadium in Vegas is the site of a big ten bowl game. If we quit sucking we might end up playing there next season anyway. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

This game is something of a tradition in Ireland and playing in it without either army or Notre Dame is rare.

Do some research before posting please.

The game is not a "tradition" as there have been only 6 games in the last 35 years - 1988, 1989, 1996, 2012, 2014, 2016.  Army only played in the 1988 game.  Notre Dame only played in the 1996 and 2012 games.

9 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

It could be a pretty big non sports political story if we bail out to go to Vegas. 

LOL.  The national media would shrug, and I'd guess most would say its smart.

• Plus1 4

I might be in the minority, but I would prefer this be just a normal game here in the states.  This team needs to start the season off with a win.  I don't like the idea of them having to travel to Ireland and all the distractions with that while they are going to be fighting for that first win.  I know Northwestern would have the same distractions, but there is more on the line with our team and staff.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I might be in the minority, but I would prefer this be just a normal game here in the states.  This team needs to start the season off with a win.  I don't like the idea of them having to travel to Ireland and all the distractions with that while they are going to be fighting for that first win.  I know Northwestern would have the same distractions, but there is more on the line with our team and staff.

Bingo.  This just screams a setup for us to lay a giant egg and start off terribly again.  We are still trying to figure a lot out and NW has had stability for 15 years.  They have the advantage here. 

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Bingo.  This just screams a setup for us to lay a giant egg and start off terribly again.  We are still trying to figure a lot out and NW has had stability for 15 years.  They have the advantage here. 

And, it's not just the travel for the Northwestern game.  They have a game the next week.  How tired are they going to be after another 10 hour flight back home and how is that going to affect their prep for the next game?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, it's not just the travel for the Northwestern game.  They have a game the next week.  How tired are they going to be after another 10 hour flight back home and how is that going to affect their prep for the next game?

They know the risks before they agree to something like this. Apparently they felt getting more eyes on the brand was worth it. There's no more time for excuses.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

They know the risks before they agree to something like this. Apparently they felt getting more eyes on the brand was worth it. There's no more time for excuses.

This game was planned long before the team got into the "must win" situation they currently are in.  You're right.  We can't have more excuses.  So, why put the team in a situation where it might be harder to win?

10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Actually, I can prove that you're wrong.  We've played all of our recent games in the United States, and we've mostly sucked.  We're going to play in NOT-the-United-States, so we likely will not suck.

I dare you to respond.

• Plus1 1

I don't care where the game is played from a competitiveness standpoint.  Northwestern was a dumpster fire last year and Pat's teams historically start slow.  I know we will be breaking in new players and an altered/new system but Northwestern is breaking in a new coach or two and has major issues in the QB room not to mention depth/experience issues in many other areas.  I like our chances.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This game was planned long before the team got into the "must win" situation they currently are in.  You're right.  We can't have more excuses.  So, why put the team in a situation where it might be harder to win?

They probably signed a contract to play the game and I doubt "we don't want to play it now since we don't think we can win because it is outside the USA" is going to get them out of the contract. So we either play the game as scheduled and let the chips fall where they may or forfeit, take the loss and move on. And I never thought I'd see the day when we were too scared to play NW because we might lose no matter where the game is played.

I think it will be a great experience for the players and staff. Probably an opportunity some will not have in their lifetimes.

2 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Actually, I can prove that you're wrong.  We've played all of our recent games in the United States, and we've mostly sucked.  We're going to play in NOT-the-United-States, so we likely will not suck.

I dare you to respond.

That is as good of an argument as any I have heard. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

They probably signed a contract to play the game and I doubt "we don't want to play it now since we don't think we can win because it is outside the USA" is going to get them out of the contract. So we either play the game as scheduled and let the chips fall where they may or forfeit, take the loss and move on. And I never thought I'd see the day when we were too scared to play NW because we might lose no matter where the game is played.

I think it will be a great experience for the players and staff. Probably an opportunity some will not have in their lifetimes.

No, we Obviously are not going to forfeit the game. We will probably play it in Ireland.  I'm just saying I wish we hadn't scheduled it there.

27 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Exactly.  I would be willing to bet this trip was used as a recruiting tool and that most, if not all, players are really looking forward to it.