Northwestern: What did we learn?

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Why they stunt the ends into the line so much is insane...

I am over it in terms of expecting anything but I am 100% excited for the coaching search...and there is one name out there that can't wait to show that he is still the top dog...UM

I would take urban Meyer in a heartbeat and break the bank for him!!  Instant turnaround with him pretty much guaranteed.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

We were up by 11.  WTH would that have even entered his mind.  How about, I am going to control the clock, play smart and win....As you so eloquently put, No words.  SMH.

The problem is this offense has no capacity to control anything.  It’s like wide open or dead.  There is no ability to sustain a 4-6!minute possession.  It either scored or fails in about 6-7 snaps.   Today 4 scores and about 8-9 nothings.  I’m guess time of possession was dominated by NW.  They changed everything about the offense, except the offense.  Fail. 

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I would take urban Meyer in a heartbeat and break the bank for him!!  Instant turnaround with him pretty much guaranteed.  

Before his disaster of a season with the Jaguars, I'd have been thrilled with bringing in Urban Meyer, but after that, not so much.  It's not necessarily for moral reasons, but more for "recruits probably don't want to commit to a school where the head coach might repeatedly kick them" reasons.

45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Me:  We will miss AM, dude is a player!

Everyone:  Can't wait to see how good we are without AM

Today:  2 picks, no QB rushing yards and a loss.

And constantly missing open receivers.

Yep, it was just Adrian that sucked so bad.

We really could have used some QB run game today.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I’d also say the Defense struggled mostly due to fatigue. How can a team get tired by mic 2nd quarter.  Then reboots about two possessions in the third, then that 2nd wind fails and it’s over.   

Frost’s teams are out of game shape.  They may pump tons of iron but can’t run the field but about two laps.  Poor conditioning is one core - root problem.  Same all 4+ years.  

• Plus1 1

Looking at the sentiment of this thread, people have really bought into the idea that the offense is the problem.

Now go look up the points per game totals of Iowa, Wisconsin, & Minnesota for 2021. Those three teams went 10-4, 9-4, & 9-4, respectively.

Then look up ours for 2021. We finished ahead of those teams but went 3-9.

• Plus1 2

I sort of put part of this on Trev...he wants what is best BUT I get it...Trev's "clock" doesn't start until he fires/hires a FB and he thinks he is doing what is best, clearly it is not the best but that is okay.

His job starts when he makes his first FB hire and he will have options.  LSU and USC both just showed that you can hire away coaches if you want.  

Also, there is a giant out there in Urban...who just might possibly be looking to show what he can do, again.

11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

They changed everything about the offense, except the offense.  Fail. 

Your problem is having been led to believe that the offense was the problem in 2021. It really wasn't.

Go look up how many games we had last year where we didn't put up 28 points like we did today. Our defense today was terrible, and then we also sprinkled in a braindead coaching decision for another one of Frost's patented catastrophic special teams plays to lose this one.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Looking at the sentiment of this thread, people have really bought into the idea that the offense is the problem.

Now go look up the points per game totals of Iowa, Wisconsin, & Minnesota for 2021. Those three teams went 10-4, 9-4, & 9-4, respectively.

for the 3rd time posting this....527 yards to Northwestern! D should always be ahead of the O first few weeks. It was garbage. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I sort of put part of this on Trev...he wants what is best BUT I get it...Trev's "clock" doesn't start until he fires/hires a FB and he thinks he is doing what is best, clearly it is not the best but that is okay.

His job starts when he makes his first FB hire and he will have options.  LSU and USC both just showed that you can hire away coaches if you want.  

Also, there is a giant out there in Urban...who just might possibly be looking to show what he can do, again.

Cant see urban going anywhere that's doesn't have a built in recruiting base. Coaches that good can be picky.

Just now, Undone said:

The offense is part of the problem, but not the biggest part IMO.  O line was horrible for most of the game, Thompson was pretty hit-or-miss (he looked damn good when he was on though), and there was more "find what works and never do it again" playcalling, but at least we had flashes of competence.  The defense was a disaster all day.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

It would be interesting with Urban for sure, personally I'd rather get Lane here. 

1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

Cant see urban going anywhere that's doesn't have a built in recruiting base. Coaches that good can be picky.

Recruiting base is a thing of the past with NIL.

1 minute ago, man eating mastodon said:

It would be interesting with Urban for sure, personally I'd rather get Lane here. 

I love lane but most of our fan base could not handle him...s#!t 80% of the posters here could not handle him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Our outside backers got exploited and embarrassed pretty much all game long. If we're really that slow on the edges, time to put some different guys in there and just play more of a nickel scheme.

If you're not getting pressure from the 3-4 guys that pushing downhill at their line, might as well actually play some good pass coverage. Damn that was terrible.

• Plus1 1