Who should our next HC be?

11 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

Your man crush on him  is starting to be cringy. 

Not a man crush at all. He's not even my first choice. Simply pointing out that he should be considered as a strong candidate based on his performance and what he could offer Nebraska football.

People around here dismissing him out of hand because they don't like how he dresses or the kind of music he listens to or his flashiness or whatever and trying to manufacture dirt on him to justify it is what's cringy.

And this is more than cringy...

On 9/22/2022 at 8:38 AM, Slow yer Roll said:

I would rather float in the black abyss of failure.......for eternity.......than have to look at a grown a$$ middle aged man wearing a flat brim hat.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3

Mickey Joseph stands a better chance of becoming head coach than either Sanders or Meyer. And he's a long shot. 

What are the chance that there is mutual interest between Urban Meyer and Nebraska...And, likewise Deion Sanders...Slim to none. What are the chances that this is the case for there both being mutually interested. Essentially zero. The probability increases  some of Nebraska being interested and one or both these coaches not being interested in the position. And similarly, one or both of these coaches being interested and Nebraska not.

Looking at it from the prospect's perspective reveals a much more clear picture. There are many variables at play that effect coaches interest level. We will attract a couch for where we are now and much less so to what we've been in the past. If we agree on that, our expectations shouldn't be for an elite level coach whomever that might be. For me, it's either a sound experienced coach or, the up and coming coach having high potential of becoming elite. You meet as many criteria with one of those two as you can specific to the one you choose. 

What I am saying that it's more of a challenge to get a really good coach than one might think. It's not just based on our program but people's lives. Coaches value their time and are cautious about how and where they invest it I'd imagine. They have families, a staff, etc. all taken into consideration. What can be accomplished. People are motivated in a variety of ways. It isn't that we lack appeal. It has to be appealing enough for the potential candidate to say yes to taking into account a number of variables important to them.

All said, there are more than a couple of coaches that can come here and prove to be successful if they're interested. It isn't one or two prospects believed to be the only remedies available. We have to identify a really great fit and be convincing enough to him that the move is in his interest.

This is all probably obvious and apparent to most. We need to get this right. I hope that Trev can pull this off. He seems thorough and methodical. I'm less optimistic than I have been. All we can do is wait. We don't need a bright and shinny gem of a coach. At the same time we cannot afford another dud either. 

• Fire 1
10 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

My last comment for this session but College GAmeday was in Lawrence today.  Leiipold was featured on this.  Many know who that guy is right now.  If KSU keep winning they will have a Gameday soon somewhere as well and that guy, Klieman, will be known nationally if not already.  If your going to keep suggesting Aranda, please remember that Rhule built the current Baylor program and Aranda just got the keys.  This is where I think alot of people get mislead.  Rhule recruiting alot of the players on the roster and he was building towards what is there right now. 

I will add that many on this board wanted Billy Napier last season, and he is struggling with Florida's talented roster.  Too soon to tell, but he isn't instant winner either.  With a roster like they have at Florida, and recruiting success, this coaching thing is hard to figure who will and who won't make it work. Deboer at Washington lost to Arizona St today?  I don't know if there is a homerun hire other than Urb's and pretty sure he isn't coming here.  I could see him at Auburn or Texas A@M or Florida St or Penn St or ?  I have read where Auburn will go after Franklin if Meyer turns them down.  I am guessing that A@M won't fire Jimbo for the $90 mil he would get......but.....?  In the end, we just need the right coach for us and it doesn't have to be a slam dunk nationally in my opinion.  We have this NIL thing that alot of schools dn't have and that is a deciding factor as well.

just to test your theory I asked some of our players if they knew who Klieman or Leipold is. None of them had a clue. They all know who Aranda is. 

I think you’re giving Klieman & Leipold too much credit. Very few kids outside of the Midwest recognize those names. Yeah we’ve gotta develop players but primarily 3* classes aren’t gonna cut it no matter how much development there is. 

Meyer and Deion aren’t coming here so we need to just stop mentioning them.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Spousal and female abuse seems to be (silently) condoned by many of the religious institutions in the state…so I presume that’s perfectly acceptable in their eyes. . 

It’s almost as if NU didn’t used to have a coach who who tried to downplay many of his players transgressions but won games so it didn’t matter much back then.  

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Shiggity said:

I think Dan Mullen is interesting. Not my top choice but I can see why there is interest. He’s not coaching right now so we can really vet him and a potential staff. No buy-out. Power 5 experience as a championship coordinator as well as a head coach in the SEC. Has played in a lot of big games.  Is on national TV currently.  Credited as a good offensive mind in the game.  Typically has good QBs.  Has ties to Florida and recruiting in the south. I can’t recall any red flags with scandals or program violations. He actually may be a good choice for a steady CEO figurehead. I think someone like him may be a good fit if you can keep MJ on staff too to handle recruiting. Would be really interested in the staff that he could potentially bring. MJ would have to stay in my opinion. Mullen has years of coordinating and head coaching experience and I think MJ respects that as someone who’s staff he could be a big part of.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

just to test your theory I asked some of our players if they knew who Klieman or Leipold is. None of them had a clue. They all know who Aranda is

I think you’re giving Klieman & Leipold too much credit. Very few kids outside of the Midwest recognize those names. Yeah we’ve gotta develop players but primarily 3* classes aren’t gonna cut it no matter how much development there is. 

Not exactly a fair comparison given your location.

Meyer and Deion aren’t coming here so we need to just stop mentioning them.

Just curious what makes you so sure of this?

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

What are you even trying to prove with this? What coach do you think we can get that has proven he can recruit to Nebraska? 

There are only a couple of coaches that can do well here! None other exist! 

It’s what I refer to as sugar plums. And the sugar plums dance away. Of coarse Urban and Deion aren’t coming here. Doesn’t mean that the dancing won’t stop!

Winning would do a lot with respect to recruiting. Stabilize and begin to build first. Demonstrate that you can indeed win. Have a staff that can recruit well. And develop. The head coach isn’t the magic bullet. Have a culture of development with a cause that takes a genuine interest in the athlete. 

We don’t necessarily need a top tier guy to get us reestablished and rolling again. Doesn’t mean any coach will do. Only that having an elite coach isn’t the only way. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, M.A. said:

There are only a couple of coaches that can do well here! None other exist! 

It’s what I refer to as sugar plums. And the sugar plums dance away. Of coarse Urban and Deion aren’t coming here. Doesn’t mean that the dancing won’t stop!

Winning would do a lot with respect to recruiting. Stabilize and begin to build first. Demonstrate that you can indeed win. Have a staff that can recruit well. And develop. The head coach isn’t the magic bullet. Have a culture of development with a cause that takes a genuine interest in the athlete. 

We don’t necessarily need a top tier guy to get us reestablished and rolling again. Doesn’t mean any coach will do. Only that having an elite coach isn’t the only way. 

No but it sure is easier to get in the homes of high star kids bc they know who you are. If Urban Meyer goes into a 4 star kids home versus Matt Campbell 9/10 that kid will pick Urban bc Matt Campbell can tell kids he can get them to the NFL(Breece Hall) but very few and far in between. The body of work is night and day.