Chinander fired

GSG

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And what are the pros of keeping him?

Not much. Another coach at practice who is almost certainly better than the analyst or GA that's going to replace him. Familiar face/voice for continuity during a tough time.

I'm not against firing Chins, I just don't think it's going to make us any better, which is what I care about.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I'm hearing Ruud and Duval might be next. Also Sean and Dan Dillon, the Director and Assistant Director of Player Personnel.

Yep, they all need to go:

Ruud can't teach tackling, which is pretty important for linebackers.

O-line and D-line has no athleticism or strength which is on Duval.

Sean Dillon (Director of Player Personnel) is inept proven by the lack of talent on the roster and his brother...

Dan Dillon (Assistant Director of Player Personnel) is the definition of nepotism. Here is his official bio:

Dan Dillon is in his fourth season on the Nebraska staff, and he serves as the Huskers' assistant director of player personnel.

Previously, Dillon worked as a recruiting analyst. Before serving as a recruiting analyst, Dillon spent the 2019 and 2020 seasons as a recruiting intern for the Huskers. He has been a part of attracting three top-20 recruiting classes for Nebraska in four years.

Before coming to Nebraska, Dillon worked as a sales and marketing manager for Clark Street Sports. Dillon earned a bachelor’s degree in sport management from Grand Canyon University in 2018. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He was a liability through the first 4 games, why would that change going forward?

I mean a liability in the sense that he's a bad attitude and cancer on the team as knapplc was suggesting. Or a liability that simply firing him makes us better somehow. I think he's a mediocre to poor DC that should be replaced but not a liability in the sense that it will be immediate addition by subtraction.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's the optimistic outlook. The pessimistic outlook is that this is all about PR and not about football. Mickey needs the fans and boosters behind him to get a chance at the HC job. Trev needs the PR to keep the sellout streak alive and the booster money flowing.

I don't know if Chinander was a liability for the rest of the season but firing him probably can't make us any worse. But it's also unlikely firing him is going to improve anything and definitely won't make the OL or DL more talented.

Bro, what? We’re the worst defense in P5. Our defense is the reason we lost to NW and ga so, and yesterday shat the bed again from the get go.  

the chin apologists baffle me, r we watching the same games or are some of you watching highlights from 20-30 years ago while getting hammered and thinking you’re watching the current team?

25 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i am sure we will lose some players over this now.

lots of guys will transfer, going to be ugly.

Could well end up with a team full of mercenary transfers with no real cohesion or leadership. In other words, a Fred Hoiberg team...

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
Just now, RedDenver said:

Not much. Another coach at practice who is almost certainly better than the analyst or GA that's going to replace him. Familiar face/voice for continuity during a tough time.

I'm not against firing Chins, I just don't think it's going to make us any better, which is what I care about.

I guess I’m confused. You’re not against firing him but also don’t think it puts us on the road toward getting better. So how do we get better or start getting better at this point in time?

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Bro, what? We’re the worst defense in P5. Our defense is the reason we lost to NW and ga so, and yesterday shat the bed again from the get go.  

the chin apologists baffle me, r we watching the same games or are some of you watching highlights from 20-30 years ago while getting hammered and thinking you’re watching the current team?

Exactly.  Makes zero sense to keep around a guy who can’t call a defensive game plan this year to save his life, and he’s sucked quite a bit in the past.    

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

I feel little to zero sympathy for college coaches at P5 schools who get fired. They make ridiculous coin, get to travel in style, stay at 5 star hotels, get perks on auto leasing, free meals, wear shorts and sweats to work, etc, etc. All you gotta do is not suck. And even if you do suck and get fired your highly likely to pick up, at minimum, a high 5 figure salary at a FCS school or low 6 figure salary at an FBS school. Rinse and repeat 

And people put wayyyyyy too much, "well they coach, so they must know what they are doing" on these guys...I have been around a bunch of college coaches in my life and it's not like all of them are "football savants"...a good chunk are just dudes who decided to coach because they had nothing else going on.

It often comes down to people knowing what they want and not doing what is required to achieving it.  Lacking awareness or, are unmotivated and unwilling to make sacrifices. It doesn’t matter what profession it is.

For anyone interested, check out author Tim Grover on YouTube. That’s one example of a person with an understanding of what it takes. 

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

I'm not a Chins apologist, but I'm also not naive enough to think firing him mid-season is going to make the season go any better than if we fired him at the end of the year.

Just now, JJ Husker said:

I guess I’m confused. You’re not against firing him but also don’t think it puts us on the road toward getting better. So how do we get better or start getting better at this point in time?

Firing him NOW doesn't put us on a path to get better before the end of the season. I think there is nothing that will actually make anything better at this point in time - that ship has already sailed when we didn't fire Frost last year.

I guess Mickey realized what everyone on this board realized three weeks ago…Chinander is a non factor and his presence added zero value…in fact, he was just drawing a salary for showing up to work and teaching our players flag football. 

At least Mickey knows the reality of the situation. The problem is that he is powerless other than being able to fire coaches and reshuffle staff or promote from within. He cannot hire new coaches and that limits his ability to fix what is broken with our defense. Nevertheless, great move on his part as there is no reason to keep Chin after the pisspoor performances that have allowed 600+ yards in almost every game this season. May be the kids can learn to tackle over the next two weeks. I feel bad for Mickey as he is having to deal with a toxic dumpster fire. Makes you wonder what Frost was doing to earn his 35+ millions of dollars over the past five years…

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

We are 4 games into a 12 game season,  we had a chance to pull something together and maybe win a few more games.  Now im almost sure we wont win another game the rest of the season.  

So you think we kissed goodbye another 3 win season? 

A 2 or 3 or 4 win season shouldn’t ever be the pinnacle of what we strive to achieve. And honestly that was the ceiling.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I think what a handfull of us are saying is that we knew he was getting fired and were fine with that. Overjoyed with it.  No one wanted him, but the fact is that i and maybe some others feel is that what will be lost because of the suddenness of it

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It's not about the defense getting better. It's about removing people that are poisoning the culture of the program.

If Mickey's firing someone, it's because keeping them on board would do more damage than letting them go.

Thank you knapp!!! The culture needs to be overhauled 

• Plus1 1