*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm N!  Maybe other coaches have said similar and we haven't seen it, but Rhule comes across as genuine and honest.  Refreshing.

He's an assassin, an executioner. Most understand the importance of culture. He knows how to change it. 

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really hope you’re right. 

Subdue the enemies in one's mind and the enemies without are subdued. Really it comes down to acceptance and discovering one's best which continuously evolves. What is something "impossible". Then, what would then make it possible!

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

Joel Klatt is a Rhule believer.

He just thinks it's not going to be a quick turnaround.

He also said that Frost was the guy for the job.  And that Colorado was going to beat either us or TCU.  Lol I suppose it’s possible, but can’t wait to watch his junior varsity  buffs take a big ole L from us. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
22 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

He also said that Frost was the guy for the job.  And that Colorado was going to beat either us or TCU.  Lol I suppose it’s possible, but can’t wait to watch his junior varsity  buffs take a big ole L from us. 

We all thought Frost was the guy for the job.  People are awfully confident around here about that game in Boulder, I am taking a wait and see approach before I start running my mouth this time. Learned my lesson in 2019.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

Can't tell you how many times I expected to beat Colorado to then be left disappointed.  This started in 2001 culminating in the Frost failures to close out.

I don't understand the people counting CU as an easy win for us.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Can't tell you how many times I expected to beat Colorado to then be left disappointed.  This started in 2001 culminating in the Frosts failures to close out.

Might have something to do with them being 1-11 last year, with only one single-digit loss. 

And I know we lost to a 1-11 NW team, and Deion is bringing in an unprecedented number of new guys. But there are far more questions for Colorado than there are for Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Might have something to do with them being 1-11 last year, with only one single-digit loss. 

And I know we lost to a 1-11 NW team, and Deion is bringing in an unprecedented number of new guys. But there are far more questions for Colorado than there are for Nebraska.

Not like we've never played down to our competition or beat ourselves before.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

13 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Nebraska will be watching the TCU game.  I hope CU shows out (a loss but covers) so our boys won't go in to Boulder thinking they've got an easy one.

This year will be as much about these kids believing they are winners and staying hungry + together as execution.  

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Right, but a big part of believing Colorado will be even mediocre is belief that Deion will be an immediate change in culture from previous years, to the point that last year doesn't matter according to some. Does Rhule not get the same benefit of the doubt here? Just seems odd to me that people insist Rhule still has to deal with all of the baggage from past Husker teams, while Sanders/Colorado will just immediately move past theirs. 

Quite possible Colorado is better than I think they'll be, and quite possible we still lose to teams we shouldn't this year. I just think there's a double standard in fan expectations where we assume the worst parts of our past teams will persist while other teams' coaches will be able to move past their issues immediately.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Can't tell you how many times I expected to beat Colorado to then be left disappointed.  This started in 2001 culminating in the Frost failures to close out.

Shedeur is going to be forced out of the game early in the third and we're going to run the ball down their throats when we're not exploiting their defensive backs. :box

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, but a big part of believing Colorado will be even mediocre is belief that Deion will be an immediate change in culture from previous years, to the point that last year doesn't matter according to some. Does Rhule not get the same benefit of the doubt here? Just seems odd to me that people insist Rhule still has to deal with all of the baggage from past Husker teams, while Sanders/Colorado will just immediately move past theirs. 

Quite possible Colorado is better than I think they'll be, and quite possible we still lose to teams we shouldn't this year. I just think there's a double standard in fan expectations where we assume the worst parts of our past teams will persist while other teams' coaches will be able to move past their issues immediately.

One's gotta consider the sunglasses advantage careful not to underestimate that. Big shinny one's could potentially interfere with Sims, receivers seeing the ball and special teams players advancing the ball effectively. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

For me it's just countering the never-ending delusion. We've had 6 losing seasons in a row, and even after as much humbling as you could possibly imagine we still have large swaths of the fanbase predicting 7-9 wins and looking down their nose at other programs. I don't give a s#!t if we're playing the Omaha School of the Deaf and Blind, the overwhelming majority of our losing in the last decade has been beating ourselves rather than the opposing team beating us, and we suck until we actually show that we don't. The reality is that we might not actually, but we don't know that yet.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

For me it's just countering the never-ending delusion. We've had 6 losing seasons in a row, and even after as much humbling as you could possibly imagine we still have large swaths of the fanbase predicting 7-9 wins and looking down their nose at other programs. I don't give a s#!t if we're playing the Omaha School of the Deaf and Blind, the overwhelming majority of our losing in the last decade has been beating ourselves rather than the opposing team beating us, and we suck until we actually show that we don't. The reality is that we might not actually, but we don't know that yet.

It's fine to be skeptical, I just don't think it's unreasonable to expect a win over Colorado. Maybe this is the same team and a new staff can' change it by game 2, or maybe Deion is just that good. IMO expecting to beat Colorado isn't delusional - some of the other predictions/expectations are for sure, but that's what the offseason is for. We've lost to lots of teams I expected us to beat, and I'm sure it will happen again. But I'm not going to lower expectations that far to try and avoid disappointment. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic