Michigan and Harbaugh under NCAA investigation

Toe

I think every coach will get asked this question now. Walter's answer...

Purdue altered its signals before the game, and apparently that wasn’t a big deal. “I thought they handled it well,” Walters said. “There wasn’t any issues in terms of communication breakdowns.”

Purdue quarterback Hudson Card echoed his coach and noted it is “pretty common” to change signals regularly. “It happens regardless of the situation,” he said.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2023/11/purdue-coach-on-his-michigan-sign-stealing-comments-i-called-a-spade-a-spade.html

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I heard this, too. And that Michigan has dirt on some other Big Ten school filming it's practices, so they erected a barrier. They plan to release that with other info. I guess if they go down they are going to take others with them. Below is  snippet of President Ono's letter to the Big Ten Commish that basically said they should due process play out( Good luck with that) and if you don't see below...

“The Big 10 has not informed us of any investigation of its own, as would be required under conference rules.  And, to be clear, oral updates from NCAA enforcement staff do not and cannot constitute evidence, nor do we think the NCAA would ever intend for an oral update to be given that meaning or weight.      

“The best course of action, the one far more likely to ascertain the facts, is to await the results of the NCAA investigation.  But if you refuse to let the NCAA investigative process play out, the Big 10 may not take any action against the University or its players or coaches without commencing its own investigation and offering us the opportunity to provide our position.  That is not just required by our conference rules; it is a matter of basic fairness. “

3 hours ago, nic said:

I heard this, too. And that Michigan has dirt on some other Big Ten school filming it's practices, so they erected a barrier. They plan to release that with other info. I guess if they go down they are going to take others with them. Below is  snippet of President Ono's letter to the Big Ten Commish that basically said they should due process play out( Good luck with that) and if you don't see below...

“The Big 10 has not informed us of any investigation of its own, as would be required under conference rules.  And, to be clear, oral updates from NCAA enforcement staff do not and cannot constitute evidence, nor do we think the NCAA would ever intend for an oral update to be given that meaning or weight.      

“The best course of action, the one far more likely to ascertain the facts, is to await the results of the NCAA investigation.  But if you refuse to let the NCAA investigative process play out, the Big 10 may not take any action against the University or its players or coaches without commencing its own investigation and offering us the opportunity to provide our position.  That is not just required by our conference rules; it is a matter of basic fairness. “

:snacks:Oh…..this is going to be fun.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

This is all "private investigator" stuff stinks like bitter apples and sour grapes from Ohio State University people.  Since the day the rumors started to float, I suspected this coming from the Buckeyes.

Listen, it is almost universal among sports teams to try to get an edge and do some shady stuff until they get caught somehow.  Been going on like that for decades, so I am not surprised by the accusation, but it is strange  when it's just one team being targeted and called out.  Especially a team that is winning a lot. 

Rewind

- On September 9, 2007, the NFL catches the New England Patriots illegally videotaping coaching signals of the New York Jets from an unauthorized location in a Week 1 game in East Rutherford, N.J.—a scandal the media soon dubs "Spygate."

- In 2015, during the AFC championship game, the New England Patriots deliberately deflated footballs below legal levels......

- Reggie Bush was not paid to go to USC - until busted.  

- Cam Newton was not paid to go to Auburn....

- Sammy Sosa and Albert Belle never corked their bats to hit 50+ homers and get paid millions....  McGwire, Clemons, Bonds never took steroids... Nor did anyone else on other teams....  until you get caught.  

Cheating and doing things unethically is everywhere in sports.  It sucks.  I don't know what to do about it.  I just think crying about it is annoying.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, admo said:

This is all "private investigator" stuff stinks like bitter apples and sour grapes from Ohio State University people.  Since the day the rumors started to float, I suspected this coming from the Buckeyes.

Listen, it is almost universal among sports teams to try to get an edge and do some shady stuff until they get caught somehow.  Been going on like that for decades, so I am not surprised by the accusation, but it is strange  when it's just one team being targeted and called out.  Especially a team that is winning a lot. 

Rewind

- On September 9, 2007, the NFL catches the New England Patriots illegally videotaping coaching signals of the New York Jets from an unauthorized location in a Week 1 game in East Rutherford, N.J.—a scandal the media soon dubs "Spygate."

- In 2015, during the AFC championship game, the New England Patriots deliberately deflated footballs below legal levels......

- Reggie Bush was not paid to go to USC - until busted.  

- Cam Newton was not paid to go to Auburn....

- Sammy Sosa and Albert Belle never corked their bats to hit 50+ homers and get paid millions....  McGwire, Clemons, Bonds never took steroids... Nor did anyone else on other teams....  until you get caught.  

Cheating and doing things unethically is everywhere in sports.  It sucks.  I don't know what to do about it.  I just think crying about it is annoying.  

You're surprised that a team doing really well might also be cheating?

If getting caught cheating does not come with consequences, then the integrity of the game will be compromised. Like boxing.

• TBH 1
22 hours ago, nic said:

I am not sure if it has always been this way, but tonight I saw Michigan's QB getting the plays off his armband although the audibles were signaled in.

So it turns out, Michigan believes Purdue had received their signs for the championship game last year from Illinois....and Coach Walter's. Might just be blowing smoke, but wouldn't that be fun. Now stealing signs is perfectly legal, depending on how they did it but it would still be funny. Anyway, that is why the QB had a card. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm…wonder why. 

Well a punt went off a Michigan players back deep in their end and Purdue recovered. It set Purdue up for a field goal after they didn't gain any yardage. Another TD with 30 seconds left in the game against the second stringers. Lots of teams have done that....and the M QB missed some open receivers. Had his second worst game of the season. 24 of 37, 335 yds, no TDs no INTs.

27 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Awful generous of you to think a football is going to be thrown far enough AND accurate enough off that field to hit something as small as a child. 

Oh that’s not the problem. It’s the spectacle. Think what witnessing that could do to young minds and the unsuspecting.

• Haha 1