Huskers in the 2023 NFL Draft

Red Five

5 hours ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

Remember when folks thought Nelson would get drafted.  Some dude on FB even put him in the third round. 

Nelson leaving early is such a headscratcher. Usually the advice from draft scouts is that if you're unlikely to be taken in the first three rounds, you should stay in school. Wonder whose advice he was listening to? Was he just ready to be done with college in general?

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Husker03 said:

He's falling because he is not that good of a WR. His route running is unpolished, he can be tackled by a stiff breeze, and he drops more than he should

I don't disagree with any of that, but if he was 3-4 inches taller NFL teams will take that gamble. Most of his issues are coachable.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Nelson leaving early is such a headscratcher. Usually the advice from draft scouts is that if you're unlikely to be taken in the first three rounds, you should stay in school. Wonder whose advice he was listening to? Was he just ready to be done with college in general?

Nelson didn’t leave “early”. He played 4 years of college football, and only had another year of eligibility due to the COVID year. He was just ready to move on. He wasn’t going to improve his stock any by coming back, he just would have been another year older. 

7 minutes ago, brophog said:

I don't disagree with any of that, but if he was 3-4 inches taller NFL teams will take that gamble. Most of his issues are coachable.

But, Palmer has to want to be coached. 

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, Palmer has to want to be coached. 

That's always the thing when guys reach that level, isn't it. Sometimes going in the 6th round is a wake up call, and sometimes you find yourself playing in the XFL for 50k a year.

He's not big enough to just play on the outside and rely solely on getting downfield, that's what I meant earlier by being a ''tweener'. If he wants to make the NFL work he has to become a better much route runner and just be a more focused player, in general. I think a lot of his drops are just focus and concentration. The reality of playing for your job every week has a tendency in some to alleviate that focus problem.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, brophog said:

That's always the thing when guys reach that level, isn't it. Sometimes going in the 6th round is a wake up call, and sometimes you find yourself playing in the XFL for 50k a year.

He's not big enough to just play on the outside and rely solely on getting downfield, that's what I meant earlier by being a ''tweener'. If he wants to make the NFL work he has to become a better much route runner and just be a more focused player, in general. I think a lot of his drops are just focus and concentration. The reality of playing for your job every week has a tendency in some to alleviate that focus problem.

I shouldn’t have made it like Palmer won’t put in the work or be uncoachable. I had a poor post. I give Palmer credit, because while he underachieved at LSU, he was smart enough to have one strong year at NU and then go pro. His speed will never be a question, and that will create opportunities for him. Like you said, he just needs to treat this like a real job and do the work necessary to stick around for a few years.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I shouldn’t have made it like Palmer won’t put in the work or be uncoachable. I had a poor post.

Don't sweat it, I had a poor post this afternoon, too. That's what I get for putting something up quick when I knew I didn't have the time to do it proper. 

I'm pulling for him, I think we all are, and I don't think any of the criticism in this thread is unfair. All of these guys in these last few rounds are playing just to make the team and I hope he has someone he trusts telling him the same things we're discussing.

• Plus1 1