2023 Spring Practice Notes - Offensive Line

Mavric

I think it'd be unwise to expect that strength & conditioning changes impact much of the line's play. I know some here believe the problem was slowness/"cinder block feet" and lack of hip mobility, etc., but I think it was just a lack of drive mixed with bad coaching overall.

The offensive line is practically a rebuild if Teddy is out this season and/or out for good. The only main hope I see for this year is just having another TE or fullback back there to help block.

And like Red Five said...imagine either Corcoran or Benhart themselves going down for the year...yikes.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think it'd be unwise to expect that strength & conditioning changes impact much of the line's play. I know some here believe the problem was slowness/"cinder block feet" and lack of hip mobility, etc., but I think it was just a lack of drive mixed with bad coaching overall.

The offensive line is practically a rebuild if Teddy is out this season and/or out for good. The only main hope I see for this year is just having another TE or fullback back there to help block.

And like Red Five said...imagine either Corcoran or Benhart themselves going down for the year...yikes.

I’m sure it’s a variety of things not just one in particular. 

41 minutes ago, Undone said:

I have been skeptical of that too.  It seems like for years, the fall back problem people would point to is S&C.  Well...now we have a S&C department that is prioritizing mobility.  So.....it's time to see what that does for the linemen and their ability to move and block.  I'm not an expert.  But, I would be interested in an actual expert explaining if the problems with our O line last year was strength and athleticism....or decision making and not knowing what they are supposed to do.

38 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Good thing we cleaned house on the O-Line coaching staff.  Oh wait..... ;0

Our coach was here one year.  I would not expect an O line coach to be able to totally turn around the group in one year.  So...I have to trust the HC on this decision.  He obviously was impressed with Raiola and kept him.  And...I don't believe that was just to have a chance to get his nephew here.  I believe Raiola went in and explained why his group was not performing last year and what changes he would like made to make it better and Rhule agreed.  Maybe Raiola didn't agree with the S&C they were doing and the blocking schemes he was forced to teach.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe Raiola went in and explained why his group was not performing last year and what changes he would like made to make it better and Rhule agreed.

Rhule touched on this a couple times I think. He went Raiola's office and saw that his bookshelf had all the same books. That set the stage for the conversation. No surprise Raoila is the book clubs leader.

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

In very limited action Teddy has not graded much better.

This is what I keep saying.  He's no where close to a sure fire answer if healthy, which he seems like he might never be.  I get people want something to hope for, but at tackle the answer most likely isn't on the roster yet.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Red Five said:

Say Teddy is limited all season and then either Corcoran or Benhart go down, who plays OT?

I think Scott has played there some at ASU.  But then its the true freshmen unless there are some walkons that could be serviceable.

We need 2 out of Gottula, Goldman, and Knutson to hit.

And damn you Walter Rouse!

Is Ezra Miller still on the roster?   Haven't heard much about him.