Any chance Gregory stays?

I wondered to myself last night, what kind of collegiate trophies will Randy Gregory take with him if he leaves this year? Is it something that interest him personally? Is that something that might keep him at Nebraska one more year?

If I had to guess what might possibly keep a guy with this much potential around here for one more season, it would be simple: his boys. Assuming he has any and they're close.

One thing I find interesting about this whole conjecture-fest is that it seems like very little is known about the personality of Gregory. Does anyone know him or what he's like? Ever interacted with him? Why did he come here in the first place, and how does he fit in in the locker room? I never sensed he was a vocal team leader, but he doesn't have to be, and no one appears bent on making him fill that role against his wishes. On the field he just looks like a dude going about his business, not much caring about what's going on around him.

I wondered to myself last night, what kind of collegiate trophies will Randy Gregory take with him if he leaves this year? Is it something that interest him personally? Is that something that might keep him at Nebraska one more year?

If I had to guess what might possibly keep a guy with this much potential around here for one more season, it would be simple: his boys. Assuming he has any and they're close.

One thing I find interesting about this whole conjecture-fest is that it seems like very little is known about the personality of Gregory. Does anyone know him or what he's like? Ever interacted with him? Why did he come here in the first place, and how does he fit in in the locker room? I never sensed he was a vocal team leader, but he doesn't have to be, and no one appears bent on making him fill that role against his wishes. On the field he just looks like a dude going about his business, not much caring about what's going on around him.

Ive thought this for a long time. He is just one of those players that goes about his business and makes plays, trots back to the side lines and then goes home. He isn't one of those personalities that we all know.

I think one thing that would keep him is he believes this team could make a major move towards the playoffs next year.

I've been searching but I can't find it. I could have sworn I read here that one of our members took his son on a tour of the stadium and they got to eat at the Training Table. They talked to a bunch of the players, Gregory among them. Gregory said, according to this fuzzy remembrance of mine, that he wanted to go pro ASAP, and that it was about all he talked about. This guy came away convinced that Gregory was gone sooner rather than later.

Here's how solid this is - I either recall reading this here, OR, it was something a guy told me at a tailgate. It was one of those two places, but that was the story.

That's a grain of salt we'll need a large dump truck to haul around, but I'm not one to spread random rumors.

Also, I heard this story last year, so things may very much have changed for Gregory since this story happened.

Now, does that mean anything? Of course not.

Or perhaps, since we aren't graduating anyone, he is saying we'll have everyone back until there is some announcement to the contrary.

I don't think we would say it like he has. He would say something like, "I expect all my starting DL back next year."

Another thought is that he is saying this to keep potential douchebag sports agents from sniffing around.

If I had to guess what might possibly keep a guy with this much potential around here for one more season, it would be simple: his boys. Assuming he has any and they're close. One thing I find interesting about this whole conjecture-fest is that it seems like very little is known about the personality of Gregory. Does anyone know him or what he's like? Ever interacted with him? Why did he come here in the first place, and how does he fit in in the locker room? I never sensed he was a vocal team leader, but he doesn't have to be, and no one appears bent on making him fill that role against his wishes. On the field he just looks like a dude going about his business, not much caring about what's going on around him.
I've been searching but I can't find it. I could have sworn I read here that one of our members took his son on a tour of the stadium and they got to eat at the Training Table. They talked to a bunch of the players, Gregory among them. Gregory said, according to this fuzzy remembrance of mine, that he wanted to go pro ASAP, and that it was about all he talked about. This guy came away convinced that Gregory was gone sooner rather than later.Here's how solid this is - I either recall reading this here, OR, it was something a guy told me at a tailgate. It was one of those two places, but that was the story.That's a grain of salt we'll need a large dump truck to haul around, but I'm not one to spread random rumors.Also, I heard this story last year, so things may very much have changed for Gregory since this story happened.Now, does that mean anything? Of course not.

Another second-hand story: One of my sister's friends actually went on a date/hooked up with him via Tinder and my sister and her boyfriend met and chatted with him that evening. Apparently he was talking about how he doesn't get why this state is so crazy about football because it's just a game and he's just here as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. According to her, he didn't seem like he cared much for the university, the state, or the team; he's just in it for himself.

Same as your story, Knapp, take this with a grain of salt as it's a secondhand story, but the more I've heard about him, the less likely it seems that he'll stick around.

I think it's mostly a "don't say anything that causes a stir" case with what Bo's said.

There's about .1% chance he stays. Regardless if it's true if he sees this state as a stepping stone or not. If he does see it as such, that's fine, he's put in plenty of great work for this program, I can't fault a guy for wanting to make millions of dollars a year.

If Bo says this twice to the media, I am led to believe that he knows what he is talking about in this regard

It could also be a move to keep conversation focused elsewhere until the season is over or Gregory makes a decision. Gregory battled some lingering health issues this year and is projected as a Top 5 pick. It's difficult to stick it out another year with that kind of situation, especially when we consider the average NFL career is just a few years.

Does anyone remember what Suh's draft status was like following the 2008 season? I vaguely remember it being 2nd/3rd round or maybe late 1st at best. I bring this up because I remember Suh having more room to improve his draft status heading into 2009, whereas Gregory is pretty much already there. I wouldn't blame him in the least for leaving and, based entirely off assumptions, would think he's leaning towards the draft as well (that's without any inside knowledge or real personal knowledge of Gregory... just going off players that have been in similar situations.)

I think even AA, despite his great upbringing and family, would have had a MUCH, much, much more difficult time picking between the NFL and college had he been a potential Top 5 draft pick heading into 2014.

• 3 weeks later...