DT Calvin Avery [Illinois - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

69 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Avery commit?

• Nebraska
    • Baylor
    • Oklahoma State
    • Texas
    • Oklahoma
    • Texas A&M
    • Colorado
    • Ohio State
    • TCU

This poll is closed to new votes

Well now I'm getting my hopes up. He's been my number 2 player behind Bookie since I heard about him during Daniel's recruitment.

This would be a huge get!

Get after him Spurs, start finding everything that you can about him. Would really like this kid and Trout, I want Trout despite the fall in rankings. That would be a heck of a D-line class this year, Coach Parrella has really got after the state of Texas and that is only a good thing!

The 6-foot-2, 310-pound defensive lineman from Bishop Dunne (Dallas) High School generally enjoys the recruiting process. He’s whittled his lead suitors down to “four or five” and told The World-Herald on Monday he plans to wait to issue a verbal commitment until after his senior prep season concludes.

So where is the consensus four-star recruit looking right now? Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Colorado, Ohio State. Then he pauses for a beat.

“Might as well throw Nebraska in there,” Avery said with a laugh.

That Avery — ranked between No. 9 and No. 17 nationally at his position by the four scouting services — is considering Nebraska at all has been a testament to his relationship with former prep teammate and NU signee Damion Daniels and a spring-game atmosphere Avery called “crazy” more than once.

Avery has been hearing for months the virtues of Nebraska from Daniels, his 310-pound friend who played next to him on the line for two years in high school and will join the Huskers this fall. He’s a big reason why Avery traveled to Lincoln for the spring game last weekend along with two Class of 2019 Dunne players, four-star athlete Marquez Beason — who committed to NU Saturday — and five-star safety Brian Williams.

OWH

The 6-foot-2, 310-pound defensive lineman from Bishop Dunne (Dallas) High School generally enjoys the recruiting process. He’s whittled his lead suitors down to “four or five” and told The World-Herald on Monday he plans to wait to issue a verbal commitment until after his senior prep season concludes.

So where is the consensus four-star recruit looking right now? Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Colorado, Ohio State. Then he pauses for a beat.

“Might as well throw Nebraska in there,” Avery said with a laugh.

That Avery — ranked between No. 9 and No. 17 nationally at his position by the four scouting services — is considering Nebraska at all has been a testament to his relationship with former prep teammate and NU signee Damion Daniels and a spring-game atmosphere Avery called “crazy” more than once.

Avery has been hearing for months the virtues of Nebraska from Daniels, his 310-pound friend who played next to him on the line for two years in high school and will join the Huskers this fall. He’s a big reason why Avery traveled to Lincoln for the spring game last weekend along with two Class of 2019 Dunne players, four-star athlete Marquez Beason — who committed to NU Saturday — and five-star safety Brian Williams.

OWH

Those quotes are both encouraging and disappointing at the same time.

It's encouraging that after his visit we are included and he seems to have enjoyed his visit. However, we still seem to be somewhat of an afterthought.

Our staff has a ton of work to do here if we are going to seriously be considered.

A really good season with a good showing of the new defense might go a long ways to convince him this is the place for him.

Keep in mind he was talking to a Nebraska/pro Nebraska journalist after attending the Spring game who was asking about his thoughts on NE ... I took his "better throw them in there" to be a funny, sarcastic remark. Didn't read anything negative into it.

Exactly, I agree. I imagine Mr. Daniels will continue to be in his ear and NU has as good of a chance as the prior 4.

A lot of speculation and hints out there that he might be a silent commit. I think he's enjoying keeping everyone guessing. He's been to campus twice now. Need to get him to a real game this fall and hold onto him. The guys who want to announce late are the ones most risky to Change their minds... this kid can go anywhere he wants and the attention will only increase. I'd be worried about Oklahoma and A&M due to proximity to home.

A lot of speculation and hints out there that he might be a silent commit. I think he's enjoying keeping everyone guessing. He's been to campus twice now. Need to get him to a real game this fall and hold onto him. The guys who want to announce late are the ones most risky to Change their minds... this kid can go anywhere he wants and the attention will only increase. I'd be worried about Oklahoma and A&M due to proximity to home.

We do not have good luck with silent commits.

May I introduce you to Brendan Radley-Hiles....silent commit for a year.
  • Fire 1

May I introduce you to Brandon Radley-Hiles....silent commit for a year.

Or Brendan even?

• Fire 1

May I introduce you to Brandon Radley-Hiles....silent commit for a year.

Or Brendan even?
Damn. I had a feeling I was spelling it wrong, but was too lazy to look it up.
  • Mavric changed the title to DT Calvin Avery [Illinois - Signed LOI]