LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, I am I said:

Iowa is a rivalry to me now. I want to beat  them in he worst way. Because we can’t seem to lately makes me want it even more. 

They are the new k-state to me. Not Oklahoma but k-state.

I was going to argue with you but they did beat us 3 years in a row once. I had blocked it from memory. We beat them 6 years in a row after that which was nice. 2010 was pretty fun for our games against Big 8 opponents.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, MacNCheeze said:

I would be all for giving up the end of the year game against Iowa.  If we play them just play them at the middle of the season.  But to play wisconson on black friday, now that would be something.  Call it the Red and White Shootout.  I think that would be fun.

Ever since Nebraska joined the Big 10 it just made sense, to me anyway, that Wisconsin should be the last regular season opponent.  F Iowa.  And for what it is worth, I LOVE the idea of having the Neb-Wisc end of season game be called, "The Red and White Shootout."  

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Perusing around this board convinces me of the opposite, imo. I get labeled an Iowa apologist for some reason because there's so much sentiment of them being dramatically inferior to us, which I counter with a pretty harmless and honest sort of, "You know, Iowa has done much better than us over the last while.."

This board is not indicative of Husker Fan on the street. It's a minor subset of Husker fans.

Which you would know if you weren't such an Iowa fan.  ;)

• Plus1 2

The black friday slot needs to remain, but Iowa is not the right opponent.  Iowa is a manufactured rivalry that the conference and various admin keep trying to shove down our throats.  

The only true rivalries are those that develop from grass roots hatred ( dislike).  The fans and players choose the rival, not administrators or IMG associates.  

You just have to pay attention to your gut.  You know which teams are your rivals and which one's aren't.  You felt it with OU, Bienemy and CU,  and the purple Huskies with Don James.  You hated that sly smug look on Switzers face.

And now you hate it when the Cheese heads play good old Husker fundamental physical football and beat you with it, as they try to lay claim to being the Real Big Red.  That is your rival.

Iowa?  A black and yellow bunch of utilitarian pigskinners, just doing the best they can with what they have, relying on solid line play, not really talking too much smack, and backed by a respectable bunch of farmers.  What the hell is to hate about that? 

What would it take to make Iowa a true rival?  Well first they would have to knock us off several times as we were closing in on a West title. 

Or we would have to do the same to them.  

• Plus1 4
36 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

And now you hate it when the Cheese heads play good old Husker fundamental physical football and beat you with it, as they try to lay claim to being the Real Big Red.  That is your rival.

What would it take to make Iowa a true rival?  Well first they would have to knock us off several times as we were closing in on a West title. 

Or we would have to do the same to them.  

If Iowa would need to knock us off several times as we're closing in on a West title, then how do you figure that Wisconsin is a rival? Being beaten by a team all the time doesn't make them a rival. Texas wasn't a rival either. They were just a team that beat us a lot.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Perusing around this board convinces me of the opposite, imo. I get labeled an Iowa apologist for some reason because there's so much sentiment of them being dramatically inferior to us, which I counter with a pretty harmless and honest sort of, "You know, Iowa has done much better than us over the last while.."

It's probably because we're all aware that Iowa has done more than us recently, yet they have also done just as badly as our 2015 and 2017 campaigns, and furthermore have never done anything remotely close to our dynasty runs which you will remind us were a long time ago.

But really, Iowa has had moderate success because of one thing: Consistency

Whether you think Ferentz is a good coach or not, he has given them an identity and they pound that identify into the ground year after year.  Good for them.  Too bad Landlord of Kinnick Stadiums favorite team is about to get boatraced every time they face us, FROST DONT LOSE TO HAWKEYE TRASH!

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

The similarities between Iowa and Colorado are intriguing as both teams legitimately despise Nebraska and were always amped up for the game.  I feel that perhaps Nebraska fans view Colorado in a more favorable light due to Colorado being a more prominent player on the National stage in the 90s and them having success against TO whilst Iowa's wins came against a lame duck coach in Riley and Pelini.  If Iowa is able to still win once Frost (hopefully) gets NU up and running I think you'll see this rivalry explode to a next level of hatred.

Solid points. What I want to know is what is up Ferentz’s butt that has him smelling blood? McCartney saw Nebraska as the team on top of the hill that would put Colorado on a national platform if they beat them. But, with Ferentz, I don’t understand his obsession. :dunno

7 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Solid points. What I want to know is what is up Ferentz’s butt that has him smelling blood? McCartney saw Nebraska as the team on top of the hill that would put Colorado on a national platform if they beat them. But, with Ferentz, I don’t understand his obsession. :dunno

I wonder if some of it stems from when he first took over the job in '99 and right out of the gate, Nebraska put a couple beatings on Iowa in '99 and '00.  It appears that Ferentz filed those blowouts away in his "Count of Monte Cristo" folder and was plotting his revenge for a while.   

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Ever since Nebraska joined the Big 10 it just made sense, to me anyway, that Wisconsin should be the last regular season opponent.  F Iowa.  And for what it is worth, I LOVE the idea of having the Neb-Wisc end of season game be called, "The Red and White Shootout."  

Sipple mentioned this morning that Moos said Alvarez is opposed to playing on Black Friday so it won’t happen. Everyone just needs to embrace having Iowa there and revel in the opportunity to beat them. 

23 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Sipple mentioned this morning that Moos said Alvarez is opposed to playing on Black Friday so it won’t happen. Everyone just needs to embrace having Iowa there and revel in the opportunity to beat them. 

Alvarez knows the tide is shifting, smart guy.

14 hours ago, NUinID said:

As was just said it has to have a little bit of history and or some sort of an equal footing.  Wisconsin''s big rival is Minnesota it has been pretty lopsided on Wisconsin's side for a while, but Badgers love to make fun of the Gophers.  Go over to the Wisconsin board Buckyville and you will see they are pretty much obsessed with putting down Minnesota. They have a really weird obsession with  PJ Fleck also.   On that board they actually have very little respect for Nebraska football and I don't blame them.  

I think Iowa makes a fine rival.  Iowa fans love to beat Nebraska and I think they have won 4 of the last 5.    

It will be difficult for Nebraska to break the mold as Wisconsin's rival.  Not impossible, or anything, because it will naturally occur if the Huskers can challenge Wisconsin for supremacy in the West.  For now, however, Minnesota is Wisconsin's rival.  Although there isn't much competition on the field between the two (Wisconsin has won 14 in a row and 21 of last 23), there is a crossover between the two states that make the two natural rivals in more ways than just sports.

• Madison and Minneapolis are separated by just four hours.
  • There is tuition reciprocity between the two universities, meaning in-state tuition applies for Minnesota HS students that go to UW-Madison and Wisconsin HS students that go to UMN-Twin Cities.  A lot of trash talk between both student bodies and alumni, many of whom know each other.  As an example, I went to HS in Madison and, eventually, went on to graduate from Wisconsin.  A lot of my HS friends that did not want to attend Madison went across the border to Minnesota.
  • Number of "residents" in each state work in the other.  A lot of Minnesota people working at Epic in Madison and in Milwaukee.  Likewise, a ton of Wisconsin alumni live and work in Minneapolis/St. Paul.  TCF usually becomes something of a "Camp Randall North."
  • Culturally and geographically, both states are blue-collar, much of the population is of German and Scandinavian descent, and the immense amount of lakes really gives way to similar lifestyles.

Buckyville loves to make fun of Minnesota and P.J. Fleck.  The 247 board is a bit more laid-back when it comes to making fun of Minnesota, but it's there.

• Plus1 4