Do husker fans today have lower expectations?

I'm certainly more apathetic, though. I'm interested in seeing them win and I cheer hard come game day, but I also realize we're not a great program.

This.

And it's now just par for the course seeing other traditional powerhouses swing for the fence and know that we aren't going to.

Don't know where you got 7-8 wins and 3rd in the west??? I don't know anyone who thinks that. Pretty much explains the rest of what you wrote.

Pretty much every single prognosticating service, Las Vegas, and national pundit is who has been saying this. I don't agree with it but the thought is very prevalent.

Don't know where you got 7-8 wins and 3rd in the west??? I don't know anyone who thinks that. Pretty much explains the rest of what you wrote.

Pretty much every single prognosticating service, Las Vegas, and national pundit is who has been saying this. I don't agree with it but the thought is very prevalent.

Not to mention most of the local media guys.

First off about the sellout streak, we all know that has kind of become a joke too. Tons of empty seats, corporations forced to buy the extras or seats given away for free. But every school deals with that too. Fans have too many things to distract them now and sometimes I would rather just sit at home and watch on my big screen 4K HD TV on a hot or cold day. It just isn't a priority in my life like it used to be. I made it to Lincoln almost every game of the season, now maybe half.

As far as earning back the fans expectations besides just plain winning in recruiting and most importantly on the field and not being blown out in the most important games of the season...The team needs accountability. The coaches and players need accountability. The entire Athletic Dep't needs accountability. If we don't get accountability, then we will always be mediocre for years to come.

• Fire 1

First off about the sellout streak, we all know that has kind of become a joke too. Tons of empty seats, corporations forced to buy the extras or seats given away for free. But every school deals with that too. Fans have too many things to distract them now and sometimes I would rather just sit at home and watch on my big screen 4K HD TV on a hot or cold day. It just isn't a priority in my life like it used to be. I made it to Lincoln almost every game of the season, now maybe half.

As far as earning back the fans expectations besides just plain winning in recruiting and most importantly on the field and not being blown out in the most important games of the season...The team needs accountability. The coaches and players need accountability. The entire Athletic Dep't needs accountability. If we don't get accountability, then we will always be mediocre for years to come.

giphy.gif

Define accountability, what is the team coaches AD not being accountable for. Are they not being accountable to the fans? What does that mean? Does it mean they aren't owning up to not being as good as we expect them to be? Please explain.

• Fire 1

For starters, a slap on the wrist for Keith William's 3rd DUI after they full on knew about the 1st two DUI's AND the third one happened a couple of hours after recruiting a 5 Star recruit and his family! All of this just tells the Players and Coaches, you can get a way with almost anything and we will look the other way.

Then the coaches leaking to players when random drug tests are to be administered. This is a huge breech and tells players that they can party all they want right after the tests are done. Coaches allowing recruits to go to frat parties all night long on the weekends that they are in Lincoln and getting wasted out of their minds. Keyshawn came there every other week last Fall while still in High School because of the lax oversight and all of the drugs and parties. He is obviously the biggest casualty of not having any accountability, with coaches AND players looking the other way.

Why has there been no punishments yet for Stanly Morgan or Antonio Reed?

There is plenty more that has been going on for way, way too long now and this is a direct reflection on the entire team, coaches and athletic dep't. If these things are allowed to continue and there is certainly no signs that they are stopping anytime soon, then this team will continue to go nowhere but to mediocrity or worse.

For starters, a slap on the wrist for Keith William's 3rd DUI after they full on knew about the 1st two DUI's AND the third one happened a couple of hours after recruiting a 5 Star recruit and his family! All of this just tells the Players and Coaches, you can get a way with almost anything and we will look the other way.

Then the coaches leaking to players when random drug tests are to be administered. This is a huge breech and tells players that they can party all they want right after the tests are done. Coaches allowing recruits to go to frat parties all night long on the weekends that they are in Lincoln and getting wasted out of their minds. Keyshawn came there every other week last Fall while still in High School because of the lax oversight and all of the drugs and parties. He is obviously the biggest casualty of not having any accountability, with coaches AND players looking the other way.

There is plenty more that has been going on for way, way too long now and this is a direct reflection on the entire team, coaches and athletic dep't. If these things are allowed to continue and there is certainly no signs that they are stopping anytime soon, then this team will continue to go nowhere but to mediocrity or worse.

I'm not gonna get too worked up about football players partying or smoking weed. They've been doing it since I was at NU during the 90s. Some players can handle it, some can't.

• Fire 1

I'm not gonna get too worked up about football players partying or smoking weed. They've been doing it since I was at NU during the 90s. Some players can handle it, some can't.

There used to be so super lame Husker Legends radio show...all the host and his guests did were talk about the good old days and how they snuck out of the dorms and hotels and how they would party and sometimes get caught and have to run or do push ups.

The only difference now is that every dork tweets out about a player getting in trouble.

Not getting worked up about partying is your right. But how does it help the program when players think they can just do whatever they want whenever they want and not be held accountable? And then the coaches looking the other way at everything?! This is on the coaches and the AD. No team can succeed when the team as a whole can't held accountable. Other teams are making their players accountable and sending messages to the rest of the team that if you break the rules you will be suspended or worse. Look at Oregon's WR Carrington, dismissed from team for his DUI. That's how you send a message.

How many coaches have to be fired before Head Coach Mike Riley is the one being held accountable for hiring them in the first place? Nobody made Riley hire those coaches.

I'll defend him a little here in that coaches place a ton of value and depend heavily on trust and cohesiveness. It can be difficult to change jobs and have to hire a mostly new staff because it takes time to get everyone on the same page. Much easier to bring your staff with you and make changes and upgrades where and when necessary. That way, you can really hit the ground running in camp because everyone knows the terminology, the plan for recruiting, the gameplanning, etc. I'm curious how Oregon does this season and beyond as they pretty much hired a dream team staff for Taggart haha.

But you bring up a fair point and it's where I stand too. If the OLine has another rough year and we struggle because of it, then Cav is gone and we hire a replacement. But then do the excuses start over next season? Those "just wait until next year" comments are getting old and I'm guilty of it too. 2017 is the season I expected to be firing on all cylinders. It would be really frustrating if Diaco does a good enough job with the defense to win a lot of games only for the team to be hindered by the offense and a bad OLine. Guess we will just have to wait and see.