Who should we hire

3 hours ago, huskerbronco1997 said:

Who should we hire? Well in all honestly who wants this job? Frost I likely the only one that would say YES. I would imagine everyone else would say well idk maybe it could be neat or hell no. We go through coaches like my kids throUgh shoes. Now I hated the Riley hire and still can't stand him but no coach will want to come here knowing we fired a 9 win coach and went through another one in less than 5 years not even allowing him to use "his guys, for whatever the hell that means" and having just revamped the staff. Most coaches like stability plus other schools will use this against us in recruiting as I am sure they already do. 

Maybe coaches that know that they can get a massive buyout once they suck will consider this place but otherwise if you wise if you would think big names or young up and coming coaches would be interested (besides Frost), but I don't see it. 

There have numerous teams to go through coaches till they find the right one.

or you can hope and pray that something changes

or you can watch other teams and see how it is supposed to be played

one of those should work

8 minutes ago, FlipPhone said:

I was amusing myself yesterday and thought maybe wires got crossed and someone said "get Lincoln Riley"... but SE heard, get "Riley to Lincoln"... and he googled Coach Riley and Mike was the name that popped up.  So, you see, this is all from a misunderstanding.

now thats funny lol

12 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

Penn St. and Wisc have both made good coaching hires for their programs over the past years. It's that simple. We have not and now it's not a matter of continuing what an Osborne, Alvarez or Paterno(football performance only obviously) built. You have a short window to keep that ball rolling after a legend retires before you become just another program.  Tennessee was in the wilderness for a long time as well. Florida made what looked like a few solid hires which have not worked out thus far. And they are both in prime recruit land. Jesus look at Texas. This sh#t isn't easy, and luck plays a much bigger role in landing "The Guy" then people want to admit

Nebraska is a no different then any middling program at this point. The wins were too long ago. Current recruits weren't born when we were last relevant. So now we are in the position where we have to get a home run hire. 

In my opinion that will be a young coach who is probably under the radar right now because no big name coach is coming here. It's just not a desirable job at this point

ODH,

I agree with you that finding a good coach isn't easy, but Fraklin at PSU made sense, Andersen made sense, Chryst made sense. From a fundamental common sense standpoint, and by most measurable levels, these guys all made sense. You could defend the hiring of each.

We went out and hired a guy who has never had ANY consistent, appreciable, worthwhile success ANYWHERE he has ever been. Let that sink in.

He spent 4 years as a HC in the CFL, his winning percentage? .556

He spent 2 years as a HC in the WLAF, his winning percentage? .550

He spent 3 years as a HC in the NFL, his winning percentage? .292

He spent 14 years as a HC for OSU, his winning percentage? .542

This hire made absolutely zero sense, and quite possibly represents the peak of ineptitude by our aa.

Of course we can't fire Riley now, the optics of such would be horrible. As disgusted as I am at our Athletic Administration, I am sane enough to realize firing Riley is not an option.

For better or worse, we are stuck with Riley, and can only hope that Eichorst or his replacement doesn't bungle the next hiring decision...

• Plus1 4

Coaches that I think NU could have gotten with ease if SE didn't have a raging hard-on for Mediocre Mike.  These are not in any order

Campbell (At ISU now)

Franklin (Oh how I wanted him)

Herman

Fuente

Fleck (would have been an easy get 3 years ago but a HUGE gamble at that time)

Brohm

Taggert 

I think any of them would have come to NU and I think they are all better choices than Mediocre Mike.

• Plus1 4