Stop

25 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

You are correct, and we should support our coach and our team. Although declining in number, there are still too many in our fan base living in the 90s, and think it is as simple as  hiring yet another new coach to return to national prominence. With so many fans with unrealistic expectations, who would want the job? I am glad Riley has stuck with us.

Unrealistic expectations to beat Wisconsin more than one time in 7 trys and win the west once every 3-4 years? Not get blown out on national television multiple times every year and beat the teams we are suppose to (NIU, Purdue, Illinois, etc). Where are the unrealistic expectations you talk about bc most people I talk to do not expect a NC or CC every year. 

• Plus1 9

41 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

You are correct, and we should support our coach and our team. Although declining in number, there are still too many in our fan base living in the 90s, and think it is as simple as  hiring yet another new coach to return to national prominence. With so many fans with unrealistic expectations, who would want the job? I am glad Riley has stuck with us.

Year 3 has us asking "...can we beat Minn., Northwestern, and Purdue to reach bowl eligibility?".  Or maybe more accurately, acknowledging that beating Minn., Northwestern, and Purdue to reach bowl eligibility would be seen as a stretch and a success at this point.  While some fans may have their ceiling expectations too high, what worries me is that Nebraska is now far below where the floor should be for this program.  

• Plus1 6

OK, I will stop when Riley stops losing and having every streak we ever did have broken!

Sure the negativity is getting rather old, like losing, but we are in situation that is worse right now than its been for maybe 10 years.  This is eerily similiar to Callahans last year in alot of ways.

This was bad hire, by a now extinct AD.  I know Riley is doing everything he can, but its just not working out.  If he would have fired Langs and Banker both when he did Banker, this might be different situation.  I believe that.  Langdorf is maybe the larger issue here, but its on Riley.

• Plus1 2

For the record, we are stuck in the 90's a little bit because that was the greatest era in this programs history.  Only those who didn't see that or were not NU fans during that can actually know and feel that.  Who would not clamor for that once again?  Sure, its not ever going to happen that easily again.  Sure, we may never see that kind of teams and constant winning, but we should at least not be 20 point underdogs on our home field.  Being 11 point dogs against Wisky is enough, but now add too it Ohio St................respect is a lot and we don't garner anyones right now.  I wonder even if Purdue and Minnesota will take us seriously.

I was "meh" with the Riley hire. As I sat in the stands and saw NU throw a pass with SIX SECONDS in FG range, it confirmed to me that MR has to go. What in the holy crap was the thought process there? Then watching the players not fill gaps and play soft on defense was the nail in the coffin.  I just hope that when they make the change that people understand: 

1. The new coach will take over the existing talent. 

2. It will take time to get his guys in to run his system.  Recruit his players. Establish his culture. 

3. There will be growing pains. Old habits will die hard. The team will have to learn to win again. 

4. The new coach could be worse. He may the next hall of famer.  He will not be perfect. 

5. It would be nice to see Husker fans support the new coach. It may not be your first or hundredth choice. If it applies, get over the past. Your favorite former NU coach is not here. He has been fired. Embrace the future and don't be an anchor. 

I think we all want to see NU win again. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

You can support the team and think Riley is toast.  I've cheered and will cheer every play for the Huskers.  I also think that unlike Riley, I will still be cheering for the Huskers come next fall.

Shouldn't you be focusing on your team when our game times conflict?

• Plus1 3

I like Mike Riley a lot and have been wanting him to succeed.  As someone else pointed out, two losing season in three years will get you fired at most P5 schools, not just Nebraska.  I'm resigned to the fact that Riley will be replaced.  I"m probably a little more patient than most, so I'd not jump out a window if he came back next year (assuming some major staff changes), but again, I don't really see that happening.

What I will say, is this.  Mike Riley was offered X number of $$ to come to Nebraska and give it a try.  He accepted.  He didn't come here with the intention of doing so poorly.  Yes, I know he's been a .500 coach for his career, but he didn't come here intent on staying at .500.  Apparently he has failed at this position.  I've failed at a couple of jobs in my life, and I've had to fire some employees that didn't work out.  Failing, unless it is clearly intentional does not justify ANY personal attacks or vitriol.  One can hope he moves along without making it personal., I think.

• Plus1 6
Just now, grandpasknee said:

I like Mike Riley a lot and have been wanting him to succeed.  As someone else pointed out, two losing season in three years will get you fired at most P5 schools, not just Nebraska.  I'm resigned to the fact that Riley will be replaced.  I"m probably a little more patient than most, so I'd not jump out a window if he came back next year (assuming some major staff changes), but again, I don't really see that happening.

What I will say, is this.  Mike Riley was offered X number of $$ to come to Nebraska and give it a try.  He accepted.  He didn't come here with the intention of doing so poorly.  Yes, I know he's been a .500 coach for his career, but he didn't come here intent on staying at .500.  Apparently he has failed at this position.  I've failed at a couple of jobs in my life, and I've had to fire some employees that didn't work out.  Failing, unless it is clearly intentional does not justify ANY personal attacks or vitriol.  One can hope he moves along without making it personal., I think.

You're not patient if you left the game early on saturday, carry on.

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

This will be the tough part. Could take years to undo the damage Riley has done. They have been trained that losing is expected and acceptable. It’s toxic. The next guy has TONS of work to do.

Uh. What?

• Plus1 2