Groomsman gift ideas

Groomsmen gifts need to be either funny, personal, or useful.  Most people (excluding @RedDenver ) don't use mugs or steins.  I got my best man a stein and it sat on a shelf collecting dust, but probably the worst part of it was the impersonality of the gift.  Unless you know your groomsmen really want steins, giving them the same old traditional gift will be super underwhelming. 

So here are some interesting/fun gift ideas, that may be practical and/or useful:

Customized Bobbleheads

Customized Bottle Openers

Leatherman knives/tools (can even get them engraved) or other customized knives or even a Machete

RaspberryPi preloaded with some kind of groovy software

If you all have a shared hobby, maybe something along those lines.

Maybe the most important thing to do, whatever you give them, is include a personal note in each box telling each guy why you picked him to be on your wedding team.  I really, really wish I had done that, but I got married at 21 and was more interested in the party than anything (and I was quite a bit focused on the bride). 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Groomsmen gifts need to be either funny, personal, or useful.  Most people (excluding @RedDenver ) don't use mugs or steins.  I got my best man a stein and it sat on a shelf collecting dust, but probably the worst part of it was the impersonality of the gift.  Unless you know your groomsmen really want steins, giving them the same old traditional gift will be super underwhelming. 

So here are some interesting/fun gift ideas, that may be practical and/or useful:

Customized Bobbleheads

Customized Bottle Openers

Leatherman knives/tools (can even get them engraved) or other customized knives or even a Machete

RaspberryPi preloaded with some kind of groovy software

If you all have a shared hobby, maybe something along those lines.

Maybe the most important thing to do, whatever you give them, is include a personal note in each box telling each guy why you picked him to be on your wedding team.  I really, really wish I had done that, but I got married at 21 and was more interested in the party than anything (and I was quite a bit focused on the bride). 

All good ideas. I really like the customized bottle opener as I am always looking for ours. (Why don't they all have magnets on them?) Also, a customized corkscrew or wine opening kit might be good for those who like wine.

A stein/mug engraved with their name on it seems personal to me since I tend to visit my groomsmen over the years and then drink beer with them. I'm surprised you think few people don't use mugs or steins. Is everybody just drinking from the bottle/can?

29 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

A stein/mug engraved with their name on it seems personal to me since I tend to visit my groomsmen over the years and then drink beer with them. I'm surprised you think few people don't use mugs or steins. Is everybody just drinking from the bottle/can?

It probably really depends on the person.  Nobody I know uses them, they're kind of a joke among friends because a lot of us gave them out and nobody uses them. I think the ones I have are in a box somewhere, or garage sale victims. 

It's cool if you use yours.  That's something neat you guys share, and that's the point of those gifts. 

I drink out of the bottle or a flare-side glass.  I don't pour my beer into a stein.

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Ha - I'm in this same boat. I'm going to settle on something like a personalized scotch glass or beer mug but, the truth of the matter is, just about every groomsman gift I've ever received has sat unused.

Same. If either of you were the reason I didn't get my first choice photographer in Lincoln I'm going to be pissed.