Huskers Add Former UCF Starting Safety Tre Neal As Grad Transfer

42 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

I have mixed feelings on this one.  On one hand, it’s a huge pick up in a position of need.  On the other, we are taking him from UCF.  If UCF wasn’t happy about it (and I have no knowledge either way), then it seems off.

You’d be hard pressed to find any places that would be pleased that a returning starter and one of their leading tacklers is transferring out. 

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I pop over from time to time, and every time they lose a guy, it's because he was surpassed on the depth chart and he wasn't good enough anyway, and saw the writing on the wall so... guess he's not that good and we should turn him away.

It's entertaining.

Even if they're right that Neal wasn't going to start, I trust UCF's previous coaches in evaluating talent more than I trust UCF's current coaches.

• Plus1 3
37 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You’d be hard pressed to find any places that would be pleased that a returning starter and one of their leading tacklers is transferring out. 

I guess I should clarify.  If he was planning to transfer already, and later decided on NU, after considering other schools, that’s not to bad.  They were going to lose him anyway.  However, if he left with the sole intention to go to NU, I don’t like it.  I don’t think, except under very limited circumstances, that a coach should be able to pull players he used to coach.  I think there should be rules on it.

2 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

This is huge. A guy that already knows the ropes at a position of need. Keeping expectations down is getting really tough.

No fear of failure so go get the best players you can! Also, Tre will add depth at a position where we have a few injuries as well as guys that are dinged up a bit. 

Tre Neal

Aaron Williams

Antonio Reed 

Marquel Dismuke

Cam Jones

Deontai Williams 

These are just the safeties that are off the top of my head. We might still add another player in Bryan Addison but he might try at Corner.

Does anyone have an update on the roster numbers? 

1 hour ago, Dagerow said:

I have mixed feelings on this one.  On one hand, it’s a huge pick up in a position of need.  On the other, we are taking him from UCF.  If UCF wasn’t happy about it (and I have no knowledge either way), then it seems off.

This just isn't true at all.  Neither Frost nor Nebraska "took him from UCF".  Tre initiated this.  This was the players desire.  I read a tweet today stating four or so points that UCF fans need to understand about Tre going to Nebraska ... and that was the main point ... Nebraska did not initiate this ... HE DID.  

• Plus1 9

5 hours ago, BigRedN said:

The coolest part to me is that Frost and Nebraska initiated nothing ... he just simply appreciate what Frost did for him that he "wanted to help him rebuild what he (Frost) loves back at Lincoln."

If you think about it ... Frost going back to coach UCF and those kids in the bowl ... it might have hurt our recruiting a bit  ... but Neal is coming here because of Frost's commitment to Neal as a player.  

Special ... very special.

That is one of the most amazing qoutes I think I've ever heard from a college student. It is a very selfless move on his part. Hats off to the young man and welcome to Lincoln! 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It's entertaining.

Even if they're right that Neal wasn't going to start, I trust UCF's previous coaches in evaluating talent more than I trust UCF's current coaches.

Correct.  

And, starter or not, he contributed in every game last year, and as others have said, he's experienced depth at a position of need, who already knows what the coaches want him to do.  It can only help us.

3 hours ago, Dagerow said:

We aren't taking anything from anyone: he's choosing to transfer. 

• Plus1 4